Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sitchensis posted:

From page 20. Too soon?

It's not obsolete and failed if they're still making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It honestly amazes me that USB-RS232 dongles are so hit or miss. It's a loving UART on a USB device controller, like, holy drat. Is there not a company out there that knows how a UART works?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dynamic linking is goddamn great for making sure you don't have horribly bloated binaries and a thousand copies of zlib on your system but lazy programming can and will make it the ultimate in software maintenance nightmares.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lt_kennedy posted:

Is it weird that the word 'Walkie Talkie' sounds like a childish nickname for it but it isn't - that's what they are called? Or is there some early, arcane word for them that was simplified/bastardized into "Walkie Talkie"

"Two-way" was what most people I knew in various communities that used them called them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IIRC it was literally an online trading center for physical MtG cards, not MtG Online stuff.

I shouldn't know this poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

If you allow another device to assist (like the Raspberry Pi in the Mac Plus’s case), it becomes a question of exactly how much help you’re willing to allow. A typewriter could post to SA with the proper assistance.

Especially if you have an electronic typewriter that has an RS232 port on it (which actually exist). Hook it up to any Linux/BSD box and you have the most hipster of dumb terminals on your hands.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

But FM radio, on the other hand, that looks to be obsolete soon. It wouldn't surprise me if it was phased out completely within the next 5 years, with only a token station left running for emergency broadcasts, traffic updates for all those cars with analog radios still on the road, that sort of thing.

Really? FM radio seems to still be living well enough here in Vancouver. If my phone had FM radio reception capabilities (my previous one did, this one doesn't :argh:) I'd be listening to one of the local morning shows on my commute in instead of streaming music. It's fresh content and a good mix of entertaining talk and music.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phanatic posted:

AMD's 486 486DX2-80 had an 80 MHz clock speed in September of 1994. It came out in September of '94, which I think beat the 75MHz Pentiums to market by almost a full month.

The 75 MHz Pentiums curiously came out after the 90 and 100 MHz Pentiums, which were March 1994. I think they were based on the 50 MHz ESes with a 1.5x multiplier instead of 1x (like the 90s and 100s were the 60s and 66s at 1.5x respectively).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

Do new cars still have CD players?

I... think my 86 has one? I can honestly say that I've never actually checked, what with the whole Bluetooth audio thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Interesting question! I can't think "keeping up with the Joneses" is completely dead, but I have no idea what the modern equivalent might be. A couple of decades ago there was a golf resurgence, but I think golf has returned to dying out? Home gym?

Making it to retirement age then selling all your poo poo and moving to an RV park in Palm Springs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

emSparkly posted:

Zoomer here. Are they like mail chutes or something?

Payphone booths, without the payphones. Looks like a hotel or office building lobby.

The only place around here I've seen payphones in the past five years has been in the airport terminal, after the security checkpoint.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my turn in the barrel posted:

The safehouse in Milwaukee has a pneumatic tube that starts and ends behind the bar. When you order a spytini they put the shaker into the tube and it shoots around the whole restaurant and comes back so it's shaken and not stirred.

They also have a now very conspicuous secret exit that consists of you walking into a phone booth, dialing a number and a secret door at the back of the booth opens and let's you exit via a passage to the alley.

There is a bunch of other neat stuff I won't give away and it was franchised to Chicago a few years back but I have never tried that one.

It's worth a trip if you like weird cold war/James bond inspired bars.

I looked this place up and they're so dedicated to the bit that their sign outside is just a plaque that says "International Exports Ltd."

I think I need to visit Milwaukee.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

The Chicago one was apparently closed as of March this year :(

drat. I was going to propose going there with some friends when I visit them in a few months.

I hope your SO doesn't read SA, otherwise you just pulled one of these: https://soundcloud.com/mark-music-payne/jv-and-the-accidental-proposal

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In Canada we got a national interbank network in the mid 80s. Debit cards for point of sale doing transactions over dial-up became common by 1990 and overtook cash transactions about 15 years later, at which time chip+PIN was pretty thoroughly rolled out.

I remember being told when I was a kid that buying things with your debit card wasn't something people really did in the States and it seemed baffling. Then I learned about how absolutely hyperfucked banking is there.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

As beautiful as that stack is, there's something deeply hilarious about needing to grab a stepladder to flip the record you're listening to.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, CP/M-86 was delayed and Seattle Computer Products needed a CP/M-alike for the 8086 S-100 CPU card they developed, so Tim Paterson just wrote one. One of the main differences internally between 86-DOS/PC-DOS 1.x and CP/M (apart from being for the 8086/8088 instead of the Z80) is that Paterson implemented the Microsoft BASIC filesystem instead of the CP/M filesystem because there was already a Microsoft BASIC implementation for SCP's 8086 card.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't seen a payphone in the wild in Vancouver in ages. The only time I've seen them recently was in the international terminal at YVR.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently there's no way to get sc2k running unless you run the dos version or actually just install an entire virtual machine os, which is loving insane to me

Like you can legit at this point probably run an entire computer inside ram as a ram drive of some kind and not notice except it's unnaturally fast

The animations rely on some insane 256-colour SVGA palette swapping magic. There's a workaround for modern systems but it has the negative side effect of causing the cost of zones and stuff that shows up near your cursor to stop working.

I've been trying to get a flawless modern version of SC2K Network Edition to work for almost a decade now and I'm still basically exactly where I started. The Maxis folks were on some good poo poo when they hacked that game together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

By popular demand posted:

There have got to be more offensive shotglasses out there, this isn't even worth the Malort!

If you're breaking out the Malort, I think you need apologetic shotglasses.