Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

kmcormick9 posted:

Did SACD ever take off? I remember seeing players listed in crutchfield for like $2000 in the late 90s

Nope. I got one too. :( Luckily it plays DVDs and nearly any other format you throw in it as well, but I still feel kind of ripped off. Now I'm probably too old to even notice the fidelity difference.

BTW, I have 7 hard drives in my computer. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
DIVX was doomed to fail. Does anybody remember those DVDs that somehow decayed or something after a few days? It was supposed to mean the end of late fees, as they were disposable. Of course, DVD encryption was cracked, and ripping DVDs became quite simple.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

Does anyone fax anymore?
Businesses use fax machines all the time since you can get a delivery receipt. We have moved over to mostly scanning and emailing documents these days, but the fax machines aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

0dB posted:

TASCAM Portastudio One. It records 4 channels to a cassette and you really should use a high quality CrO2 tape. My one worked hard at a college for years on end so it's a little worn. But still - four channels! On a cassette!
Oh man, I had a 4-track (not that one), and I loved the poo poo out of that thing. We would get high and just record poo poo all the time. Not that any of it was remotely good, but it certainly was tons of fun and the limitations forced you to be more creative. Now I can record as many tracks as I want on a computer and it's not nearly as cool. :(

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

burtonos posted:

How about this bad boy?

I'm...not really sure what to make of them.
That's the same exact camera my mom always had when I was growing up. I'm guessing it was big in the early 80s?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I've got those lath and plaster walls in my house, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to hang anything, or do any wiring.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I had a 25 disc changer, and I loving loved that thing. As convenient as iPods and mp3s are, I still miss browsing for CDs and the whole experience involved in buying tangible music.

The closest I get these days is browsing the vinyl at Half-Price Books.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
My dad had a bunch of 5.25 floppies from 1989 or so that he was trying to give to me. I honestly can't even remember the last time I've seen a 5.25 floppy drive. Mid 90s maybe?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My first desktop had a 2 GB hard drive.
Mine had a 150 MB drive. I think it cost 3,300 bucks (the whole PC) or something at the time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Jibo posted:

This makes me think of the time a couple of years ago where manufacturers were making a big hoopla about apps for your TV for Twitter and Facebook and poo poo. You don't really see that as an advertised feature any more, probably because it's kind of dumb.
They're still there. SmartTVs are pretty cool.