Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
It was nice to close the phone to hang up. I hate fiddling for the end call button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I have been happy to have had things in my DVD/BR/4K collection that I later could not find on streaming (or would have had to have signed up for more services). Physical media is not an obsolete or failed technology.

As far as its future, I agree that it's likely to become a collector-only thing, unfortunately. As many issues as streaming services present, they are very convenient and physical media is expensive to acquire (almost entirely because of licensing, but that's not going to change).

It is really annoying how much stuff is out of print or only available as a DVD rather than blu-ray. I bought an all-region player so I could get blu-rays that were still in print in Europe... I am not sure that is really worth doing, though.

Sir Mat of Dickie has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Feb 27, 2024

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

You could find some charts, I think at common TV viewing distances, the difference in resolution is barely perceptible. I have not done the math myself and would be happy to be corrected. Personally, with my unexceptional TV and sound setup, I wouldn't upgrade a blu-ray to a 4K unless there are other factors at play (e.g., a new restoration). Definitely worth upgrading DVDs.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Arrath posted:

Did anyone ever release a zune media player clone? Or make a Winamp skin? Maybe it's my nostalgia bit I liked it a lot.

I thought I was the only one haha. I used it for way longer than the physical Zune existed. I stick to Musicbee these days and am happy with it.