Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OozieNelson posted:

I was wondering if anybody remembers the white plastic slate/art board type thing that you hooked up to your TV and you drew on the slate with certain tools and it showed up on your TV. It was kind if like plugging in MS Paint and being able to draw and color an see it on your TV.

I had this too! I thought for a while it was a Sega Pico, but it doesn't appear to be.

Gah, I'd kill to see it again. I had it as a little kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

This article rules, thanks for sharing.

I was born in 91, so I’ve never once seen a wired remote, it’s always fascinated me. I did have a questionable cable box as a kid that would give me aggressive static shocks. Coupled with the fact that we never had a remote for it, and I learned pretty early on to sit and enjoy my Hey Dude rerun or face to angry cable box.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Perhaps this is nostalgia poisoning (it is and it’s fatal), but I miss being able to put poo poo on top of a tv. I need a wooden platform to decorate, and subsequently have cats knock it off.

My cats will never know the pleasure of knocking poo poo off of a television, and as a society, I feel we are weaker for it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I threw away our last TiVo a couple of years back.

We still have my partners ancient one as it’s integrated into the cable box, and for some baffling reason, he still wants cable. I do not know why but we also have all the functionality of said cable box/TiVo as an app, that we can chromecast to, which we also have.

I’m starting to weigh the reality that I will be cremating my partner someday with that goddamn box.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
A mild to moderate dealer was busted in Sweden because they used mobile pay for coke and the public broadcaster here released the transactions, encouraging viewers to see if they know anyone on the list. This has caused some chaos in Sundsvall, as some were buying coke and some were like, Swishing for drinks or something genuinely innocuous.

Some have lost their jobs over it, which I think is genuinely kind of hosed, independent of drugs. I also find it super irresponsible of SVT to release that information, even if it is legal to do so, but this is in a long line of “is there a gas leak at SVT? This is hosed up” maneuvers the past year.

Keep in mind Sweden is one of the countries where you can get in legal trouble for having drugs in your system. While coke typically leaves you fairly quickly, sure, something like this may potentially still screw people over.

Sweden is cashless except for drugs (due to the above) and in my personal case, tattoos (gently caress da taxmanskattman). I just got a tattoo today and now I get to deal with the 500kr in my wallet, and I’m about to go out with friends tonight. I’m going to use it at the supermarket tomorrow which is like the one place I can think of where I can, outside of the odd corner store maybe.

Nonetheless, while I like having a cashless economy for the most part, I feel super uneasy having cash now!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well it goes directly against the EU GDPR, of course.
If you’re asking SVT to abide by any sort of “law” or “journalistic ethic”, lol, lmao

between this and the absolute :wtf: that is Transkriget, I’ve never lost my faintest threads of confidence in a media entity this rapidly.

But I mean if the government openly and loudly plan to go against the UNs Convention on the Rights of the Child in the most inhumane way possible, it’s fine if the taxpayer funded media entity to also break a few laws!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I grew up in a tv in the kitchen house and it was never one of those under the cabinet ones. Maybe the size of a computer monitor at most.

I sort of miss that as an adult but podcasts have helped immensely

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My grandparents had one and they likely hid it from me because I had to play with it nonstop. Good god that printer was loud

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m solid with the iOS keyboard, especially now that autocorrect has improved, but my world for a physical keyboard. Maybe not T9 again, but let me press button.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evobatman posted:

Every single one develops creases, delaminates the layers, splits, cracks or gets dust and dirt inside places where you can't get it out.

Finally a phone I can relate to

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

my turn in the barrel posted:

It wasn't unheard of for people to take 2 dinner forks and strip a lamp cord and wrap one wire around each fork and plug them into opposite sides of a hot dog on a plate and plug the cord into an outlet until it was cooked which works exactly the same but is obviously much riskier.

It was unheard to me because that sounds like something that invented the phrase “there’s got to be a better way!”.

Also yes, thread

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And yet no Jazz and Conversation, from the foot of Mt. Belzoni?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

That reminds me, I miss music visualizations. I know you can still run Milkdrop and stuff in standalone players, but there isn't a good way to do this for streaming music services like Spotify or Youtube Music on set Android TV boxes or Smart TVs.
My world for a PS1 CD player visualization effects add on for some streaming service or another.

That and the weird plasticy smell of an inflatable chair (pretty much failed technology) is the scent of 1998 to me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m currently dabbling in instant photography with my Instax, and it’s fun, but it’s very particular, especially with lighting. I wanted to get into Polaroid but with the costs of film and finding a camera that either still works or is worth buying new, Instax is far more accessible.

I totally get how instant photography went from pretty ubiquitous to a niche hobby with the rise of digital, having to cope with “sometimes film images will be less than perfect and that’s life!” is something I don’t see squaring with the culture. There are printers that print Instax photos from your phone and that’s a workaround - but you notice the quality difference pretty quickly, and even those still have their quirks.

Anyway this is where everyone prevents me from spending a $smokingischeaper amount on more filmpacks…

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Oh you've come to the wrong place, we're here to enable all your worst impulses. As long as they involve clunky technology.
My camera is endearingly clunky, the printer loud as hell and when the flash goes off, you feel it. Remember non-mobile flash? Spots and all.

Despite all that, it is pink and pretty adorable. Though my god FUJIFILM, whoever approves your “place viewfinder here and place the actual lens miles away” designs needs to meet their maker.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

If my grandma's generation taught me anything it's that fine china wares are only for keeping in display cases numerous enough to reduce the space of your apartment by 10% at least.
I think my grandparents had three or four different dining sets, among so much other fragile crap that none of us either needed or could take with us to use. The one two combo of “growing up in the Great Depression” and “starting a middle class family in the late 50s” really did them in.

Just baffling amounts of plates and cutlery and serving bowls and so much poo poo. I only ever remember using one of the sets ONCE as a kid.

And then there were the Hummels, milk glass and glass animals.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sweevo posted:

Special forks for specific fruits they never even ate, finger bowls, serving tongs, giant serving trays that held food for 10 people.

Kitchenware too. Gotta have a hard boiled egg slicer and an oven dish with a spike in the middle for roasting a whole pineapple.

So many goddam gravy boats. Truly lost in the sauce, Grandma.

I will defend the utility of egg slicers, however.

AFewBricksShy posted:

A friend of mine used to go to thrift stores when she was just out of college and buy fine china sets and use them like regular plates, into the dishwasher and everything.
If they broke, she'd just go buy a new set. You could get them for around $20-40 for a full set easily.
I’m contemplating doing this when my partner’s set has bit the dust but it loving will not. They look like the dishware from the USS Enterprise and are older than I am.

Speaking of, I want a Raktajino mug but apparently they’re a nightmare to clean.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

an actual frog posted:

Okay, but only if you convince me to not :retrogames: on a vintage medium format lens and the parts to fit it to an instax wide

https://style.oversubstance.net/2020/05/fujifilm-instax-wide-300-to-mamiya-press-mount-mod/

Just spent 1000kr on cosmetics and I should get an extra pack of film just in case

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Realizing now that God is dead and I can have shots with dinner. I can just make up etiquette rules.

Ain’t no law says I can’t down cheap Polish vodka in a “Life’s a Beach” shot glass with my salmon en croûte.

E: “Honey, we have guests over, can you bring out the good glasses?”

teen witch has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Apr 10, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Not crude, but up until last year when my grandma died, she would always bring out 'my' Snoopy glass for any drink I was being offered. I've been drinking from that thing since I was 4. I'm 40 now.
That’s really sweet, my grandparents had a few of the Welch’s grape juice jars with the cartoon characters that we used to drink out of. This was in the 90s, so I’m presuming no lead, but seeing how I turned out, not so sure. God I hope the Muppets in Space glasses are still there.

They also had glassware that they used for everything, and the Irish coffee glasses were used by us grandkids for root beer floats (and knowing my grandma, actual Irish coffee). After my grandpa passed, I used those same glasses to make my cousin’s kid his first root beer float. He was the only great-grandkid who got to know my grandpa somewhat. I felt a bit honored to pass along a corny bit of tradition.

Next time I’ll make him a Shirley Temple, and then subsequently explain who she was. My childhood had a *lot* of kiddie cocktails which by no means affected me as an adult.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

goblin week posted:

having an opinion on snoopy is unimaginable
Definitely a litmus test of if someone is worth my time.

I mean cmon

imagine hating Snoopy?? It’s like “water is overrated”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Creature posted:

I mean, as in I’m not sure if she’s even thought of forming an opinion on him.
Well she best start

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

I'd really like to try Malört, but I have no idea how to get my hands on a bottle in the EU.
It’s just bäsk, a type of brännvin, depending on the country it might not be terribly hard.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

read that as desktoilet at first
Both are still my posting station so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Was there music or anything of commercial significance released on microcassette?

There’s a format smaller than microcassette and it’s kind of adorable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picocassette

(That fan is beautiful by the way)