Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the one you have to yell into the mic to make it shoot isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Sucks for the dudes who had to drag that up there over a century ago.

Sucks less than having to drag it back down again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reverse cornucopia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

A seat for my servant? Preposterous! That seat is for my hat. I do not pay the help to sit. - an extremely British concept

Your servants would sit on the pews, which is what they're for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume if you wanted to you could pour hot lead down it to line it quite easily.

E: I would assume they would need to be split and then dug out in two halves then tied back together? You'd need a very big drill to do it otherwise. And I don't know if you can burn them hollow at that size.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Aug 8, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

They were drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ciKreulNM

(Sorry about the Bavarian commentary…)

Ah neat, that makes sense, the drill only need to be that size at the tip and they just withdraw it to clear it, also allows most of it to be soft and flexible.

(bavarian is fine, if I was german I would probably be bavarian)

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Aug 8, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

credburn posted:

...is the next gen called Gen Alpha?

The alternative would be making up more letters after Z or making the alphabet a kind of inverse-hexadecimal and make 0 the 27th letter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like trying to run backwards up the stairs with a steadicam rig would be quite difficult even today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was trying to think of a joke but couldn't come up with a good one. But in general yes I am also thinking about the other homos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren't fish believed to spontaneously generate for a while because they didn't understand how their reproductive cycle worked?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Serperoth posted:

"Where did you get castrated?" and "When did you get castrated?"

Like, as in, geographically or how much did they take off?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

e. speaking of, how are the new razrs / bendy flippy samsung phones? I cannot fathom how the screens in those are able to bend and last any amount of time

I think generally they don't, which is a feature cos then you have to buy a new one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

I love (and hate) the idea that since there are known reported stolen unique apes that there is not only a "legit" market for these stupid things but also a black market

Which you could argue, combined with the general stupidity around them, is what makes them art. Not the actual thing depicted but that people are replicating the actual art market around something that is entirely lacking in artistic merit otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest because, with a URL, all the information needed to view the image is on-chain. You can download the NFT information and it points you to An Image.

If it just had the hash it could presumably validate an image in an accompanying database, but someone would need to control that database. And a big part of crypto is the "decentralized" aspect of it. Whoever controlled the database would function essentially as a gate for making new NFTs. It's more infrastructure to set up.

So rather than building a central (or cooperative) store of images to validate with the crypto element, they offload the image hosting onto the seller, and ultimately, the buyer. You bought a URL, and once you bought it it's our of our hands.

It makes perfect sense if you think of it as primarily a money making scheme, the thing you're selling only needs to be valuable long enough to sell it, and for that purpose, encoding a URL that any web browser use to fetch an image is more sensible than encoding an actual reliable verfication tool for an image that may only exist hypothetically.

The laziest, most low effort way to get monkey jpegs on people's screens is the best solution.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Dec 19, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah of course the centralization is now just pushed onto like, domain registrars, or yeah the hosting company or whatever. But that's the free market baby, that's cool.

That and it being low effort is why it's the best approach. The value of the crypto element isn't actually its security, it's the belief of the buyer that it's secure. It's the impression of security, just as the value of the ape is the impression of value.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The social environment they travel in creates the demand in their minds and they tell other people about it to create the demand in theirs as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tweet is 100% accurate, if you buy an NFT of a diamond and the original diamond is destroyed, or sold, or anything else, you do have exactly the same asset as you originally did :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In theory but if you make a claim what you are more likely to get is "drat that sucks"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at the colour scheme I briefly thought it took ryobi batteries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my turn in the barrel posted:

Best username/post combo

Not my video, I thrifted mine new in box and have never gotten around to using it but here is one in action.

https://youtu.be/029jcmv4tIU?si=t89zWAD7ef-LamUc

It's actually kind of safe because the lid has the power so once you take it off all the hot dog loading and unloading takes place completely disconnected from any power.

You also have to keep in mind that prior to microwaves, this was a pretty fast and easy way to cook hot dogs.

It wasn't unheard of for people to take 2 dinner forks and strip a lamp cord and wrap one wire around each fork and plug them into opposite sides of a hot dog on a plate and plug the cord into an outlet until it was cooked which works exactly the same but is obviously much riskier.

I have an old kids book of science experiments from the 50s that describes the process and suggests that kids rig one up and once they eat their hot dog then plug the forks into a whole pickle. If you turn the lights off the pickle will light up and glow from the electric current. I remember doing it as a kid in the late '80s early '90s and the brine solution in the pickle causing some sort of electrolysis reaction and permanently messing up the plating on two of my mom's dinner forks.

I like that you can hear the hot dogs screaming in the electro hell you have created for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I rode a pacer, the wooden safety ladder was encouraging, very nostalgic for the buses I also rode in the mid 2000s which were made out of the same general components, because I live in a place with horrible trains and horrible buses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

I used to see one of these parked on the street in austin just rotting away

it really wasn't till cellphones and laptops drove the market to need better batteries that we got any real improvement in battery tech, instead of cars forcing the innovation, thats why there were so many false starts with these early electric vehicles I guess.

Those things were so loving badly made lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilIozuRmTQs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Coin storage

Are we talking about the phone or fenella's fanny because I think given the last few posts it is important to clarify.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Both of these look better than Verizon dilapidated poo poo boxes.

The permeating smell of piss is probably unique to the enclosed britboxes though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Using a teletype machine to receive artisanally produced ascii dick pics.

Hmm, I wonder what the word would be for ascii art before the invention of ascii.

Probably teletype art, thinking about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those ones with the observation blisters on top look lush too. Would love to ride on one of those.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some train cars have DO NOT HUMP written on them to discourage adventurous engineers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's wrong with single-use appliances? Do you make coffee in a cauldron? Do you grind pepper with karate chops? Do you spread butter with a table knife?

i spread butter with the curved bit on the back of the bread knife, that's what it's for?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that it specifies invisible and not technically unsanitary but does not say that it doesn't crop dust everyone behind you with hot burned poo poo stench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my turn in the barrel posted:

If you read through the site there is more pages of the brochure and some more gems like the fact that they made a car mounted system for travel trailers.

Imagine getting to your campground and unhooking your trailer and having to unhook the line with raw sewage in it in the dark I'm sure you wouldn't get poo poo all over yourself...

Also this gem
"in the documentation from Thetford, the company warns that there can be an odor present from the vehicle’s exhaust if the holding tank wasn’t diluted with enough water or a Thetford treatment chemical called Aqua Kem. I shudder thinking about following behind an RV that smells of burning poop."

I'm picturing AquaKam being that blue disinfectant they use in porta potties. So now your exhaust is going to smell like burning poo poo and flowers as you roll down the road.

Wait so you're towing the caravan while pumping poo poo out of it and then blasting it out of the exhaust of your car all over your own caravan?

For a self propelled unit I can sort of understand it but surely you would not want to use it in that configuration?