Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

The Colossus was the first true programmable computer used to defeat the Lorenz cipher.

Wasn't the Z3 the first programmable computer? Or, if it wasn't, what made Colossus the first? I'm not very savvy with early computer stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Platystemon posted:

One field that comes to mind is time motion studies, but they attacked the problem from the opposite direction, using decimal stopwatches (marked in hundredths of a minute) to ease computation.

A couple pages back, but is there an article or something about decimal stopwatches that'd explain what they were used for and by whom? I found one in one of the physics teaching labs at work and not a single person I've asked knew why that thing was purchased.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't miss rotten.com, but I do miss the rotten library. It was a surprisingly insightful and well-written for the site.

You can just use the wayback machine, the library seems perfectly readable there, at least the random articles I've had to look up in the past few years.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know I had one of those Questron type pens as a child, but sadly I don't remember what it was for, just the device itself, sorry. As a kid I loved a) space b) dinosaurs, so a book about either would be my guess.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

getting neutron beam to the dome doesn't give you powers.

Neutrons are very bad for you, but the real life dr. Manhattan didn't turn up with super powers either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're just the floppy disks of their time.

Still a lot of floppy disks floating around right now

I was clearing out boxes of childhood junk (essentially), and ran across a box of floppies that purported to contain copies of save games. I was a bit shattered that I haven't had a floppy drive in years, because as a dumb kid I spent hours lovingly crafting Settlers 2 custom maps for my dream kingdoms, but they never survived my computer migrations. They were decent-ish mid-90s floppies too, so they may have worked, dammit :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

You do realize that USB floppy drives exist, right? I hope you didn't throw them away just because of that. :ohdear:

I have even seen these devices in the wild. But didn't / don't own one, and didn't know any of my pals did either, so do I throw away a box of poorly labeled floppies along with other video gaming junk, or store them somewhere in the hopes I will need them one da-----

Oh. Oh! :aaaaa:

A lot of the video game junk was old game demo CDs, do those count as obsolete if not exactly failed technology?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

That's a cute issue.

I would have expected mechanical drives to have more problems with Zero G.

The discs themselves weigh fairly little, you'd think mechanical grabbing etc. would be more reliable than trusting that weight would, erm, pull its weight in the design.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I object. Kitties are not obsolete or failed technology :argh:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hah, thanks! This helped me find some long lost software toy junk, a newtonian celestial mechanics simulator from 1993 that I found cool as a kid :corsair:

Is there a way to download everything from a page like that with just one click?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xerol posted:

I wanted 2 mouse pointers so I could cheat at windows 3.1 solitaire by lifting a card with one mouse and then getting the card under it with the other.

Settlers 2, a city-builder game from 1995, had a multiplayer mode that was split-screen, and both players had to use their own mouse.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lots of dos games installed the whole game on hard drive for shorter loading times and then just played the music from CD. I used to play Micro Machines 2 while listening to Offspring :krad:

This, but Settlers 2 and the Mechwarrior 2 CD :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Armacham posted:

Anyone else have this bad boy?

Hell yeah! I have that map, still, too, it's pretty dang rad. Haven't tested the CDs in ages, wonder if they've rotted out by now. :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Humphreys posted:

If anyone has any Intel PIII-S 1400Mhz 1.4Ghz 512K SL5XL CPUs for cheap I need a few! Totally not for my time machine.

Does the train at the end of BttF 3 make the DeLorean obsolete?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh boy, a big box copy of The Dig? Other good adventure games in the adventure game portion, too, but the Dig is just the bee's knees.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

All good sci-fi is more about philosophy than technobabble, and Alpha Centauri is exceptionally good with painting the philosophical differences between the faction leaders and making them actually mechanically relevant to gameplay in ways that hasn't been done since. It's just such good writing and design!

As much as I hate Miriam as a faction leader, her speeches in the later stages of the game really paint a picture of how hosed up the world is getting. The game makes a really compelling case for how the other leaders like Deirdre and Zhakarov are actually pretty sinister when you think about it. Yang sort of obfuscates this, and the game mechanics let him spam colonies a lot, but none of the factions in SMAC are really what you'd want to live in.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Poor George Orwell, thrown into the bin of obsolete literature technology :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

I've also learned that "perineum click divination" basically means he asks a question and waits to see if his butthole twitches.

If this is the obsolete and failed technology, what is the current replacement?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

With that reflection and all, it really looks like a dust bin with buttons. A doctor Who alien?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

She died last month. But now I see her as all of her ages.

Dick Trauma has become unstuck in time

But seriously, sorry about your mom, that is a rad picture

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean, the Knights Templar made credit work during the Crusades, I'm sure the same principle could be applied to telegraphy as well. I guess this is slightly off-topic since banking isn't an obsolete or failed technology, but rather one of the big organs of the system that's set the globe on fire.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently there's no way to get sc2k running unless you run the dos version or actually just install an entire virtual machine os, which is loving insane to me

Like you can legit at this point probably run an entire computer inside ram as a ram drive of some kind and not notice except it's unnaturally fast

If you can run something in Dosbox, that's a win. Which includes Windows 3.1 and sundry. The lovely bit is the stuff that came out circa Windows 98 and relied on some stuff there

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Timekeeping is a minefield of obsolete and failed technology. We have synchronous time and whatnot, but some absolute morons decided that we should have a prime number of days for the week. And don't even get me started on what the Romans did to the months.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

What are any of those things?

The last one looks like a conjoined twin x-ray tube, though neither would actually work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Huh, so it's functional? What the hell is the second gap for in the Queen tube?