Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Dick Trauma posted:

The only reliable and accurate thermometer I've ever had was the ancient mercury one I took from my parents when I moved out. It's too bad the demarcations became too worn to read clearly.

The one in the video is a chronometer/hours meter... such a crazy idea.

The markings threw me off as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes, I watched it. It just reminded me of mercury thermometers is all.

My bad

PhotoKirk posted:

This is about 5 miles from me.

Goodbye free time...

Same... if not this Saturday then next probably. I wonder how popular it is here. It’s $10 more than joystix twice a month thing

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

T-man posted:

Drug dealer is his side job and nothing you say would be funnier so it's true

Checks out with his love of gangster rap and NWA... he’s the dope man

Yeah boy wear corduroy

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was a kid this style of address book was a common alternative to the Rolodex. You'd move the slider on the right to the letter you were interested in and press the button. The address book would spring open to the first page of that letter.

The pages had little tabs on them to register with the slider, and as those tabs wore out the address book would become useless.

Ha! I had forgotten about these... so much in fact that it took zooming into the pic to remember that they were friggin’ made out of metal!

Push that broad button near the bottom and unleash the spring, right to the page you needed... caught me right in the nostalgia

My dad had stories of being a grad student and making the arm attached to the head of one of those huge “washing machine” hard drives seek back and forth to make it walk like an unbalanced well, washing machine

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I played that game when I was a kid too... and thankfully got a version that had a built-in help system. It made me feel bad at the time about having to use it so much, but holy crap there was no way you could know to do that stuff. It had to be the worst of those types of games.

Enjoying Vogon poetry... are you serious? drinking exactly three beers and eating a pack of peanuts... for real?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Vavrek posted:

I thought it was deliberately made as a parody of that sort of game, hence the difficulty and incomprehensibility.

Lol, maybe... but that would have been certainly lost on 9 year old me.

I can’t stand those types of games... clever puzzles are one thing. But making you essentially brute force the game because there is barely any logic is a whole other...

Lol, three kinds of fluff, smdh

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I had one of those, but what I really wanted was one of these:

Primarily because Netstumbler was optimized for those cards.

And then I bought a laptop that actually had built-in WiFi, rendering these cards obsolete for the average consumer.

Ha! Same... work had a bunch of laptops for execs with those cards in them. There was a tiny covered hole that you could take the cap off of and plug an antenna into turning it into an access point.

My first wireless was d-link in 2000. My dad and I spent the $800 for an access point and 2 cards. It was crazy cutting edge at the time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Here in Cincinnati, they definitely cut out blocks for the local sports on FM. The local active rock station runs the Bengals, and the local "contemporary hits" will stop playing Ed Sheeran for the Reds.

Wait, really? I’ve been gone a long time, but I wouldn’t have thought 700 WLW had lost their stranglehold on Reds coverage.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The mercury delay memory was sonically activated too, right?

I think torsion wire memory in old calculators was the craziest scheme I know of aside from the mercury tubes.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I had forgotten to come back and post this

Zereth posted:

I haven't heard of this, please tell me more

Here’s a good breakdown I found. Essentially, there’s a coil of bare wire inside a calculator and a traveling wave is sent down it eletro-mechanically, and then read after it bounces back. Never seen one in person though so maybe someone else can fill in gaps.

The aforementioned breakdown:
vintage calculator website on Delay Line Memory

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

A brief look at the ADM-3A's keyboard will give you some insight into the origin of vi's controls.

Oh my god, looking at that picture up close, this makes so much sense. Two-fingered typers on that keyboard would of course come up with VI.
I’m reminded of my dad using ctrl- and shift- insert for copy paste, which I admit I do sometimes in a terminal too.

Mind blown

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Jestery posted:

I have identified some very specific black holes in my mental conception of math. Things where I will mentally perform an operation or I have to convert a fraction into a decimal. I have a bunch of mental heuristics that I want to erase and have a more concrete conception.

Enter

The N-902 ES simplex trig slide rule

I'm a very "physical" person, always using my hands and seeing how things move and relate

Eg

I always have enjoyed building model planes and the like

I'm interpreter level competent in sign language

Doing perspective based art

etc etc

My hope is that by spending a few afternoons working through some high school math problems , having the my slide rule round the house for random nerd-snipe style math problems I'll have to slow down my mental processes and utilise my manual learning tendencies I will fix these problems. As well as learning an entirely useless skill in 2020

Rules

Slide Rules

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Extension cord plugged into a timer with one end cut off and the bare wires taped to my nutsack. :science:

Username/post legit

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

My fiats each had a points ignition system with a distributor like that. Changing the brushes was definitely a thing and that silver can in the closeups was a “condenser” or as I was told, just a capacitor that could go bad...

That machine looks like it even supports testing the vacuum advance/retard... super cool

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I read his book, “The God Particle” back in college… it was pretty good

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

Those are CI ports and it's common in Europe. Private channels in Germany also put the HD versions of channels behind a subscription service.
You put a decryption module in there and a chip card containing your subscription data.

I had/have a PC HD US cable decoder card that takes “cable card” that looks exactly like a pcmcia interface card. They were used in the US as well. TiVo used them

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

50-Pin Telco

50-Pin Telco, also known as RJ21, is a connector very common in 10BASE-T wiring.
As opposed to the RJ45 connector, the 50-pin Telco connector concentrates up to 12 UTP connections onto one connection.
This concentration of UTP ports is then broken out for connection to a punch-down block inside a building’s wiring closet.
50-pin Telco connections provide a very clean, uncluttered interface to the building’s wiring. 50-Pin Telco is used to attach 25 pairs of telephone wires.
It is also used for SCSI-1 connections and is the 50-pin version of the widely-used centronics connector found on the back of PC printers.

From here:
https://fypethernetlancard.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/

So I’m guessing it could have been for phones or network and it wouldn’t be easy to tell which one it was used for at this point.

Would be funny if it was SCSI though

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

What are some good sites to check out for this surplus stuff besides eBay? Lots of cool stuff I see posted and might want to grab something

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

There’s nothing in this picture for scale, so in my head those reels are 4feet in diameter and the cabinet in the center is the same size as those old IBM punch card readers for the 1401

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I seem to recall someone in yospos had one of the transputers and was doing something with it. 4 nodes or something…
maybe Luigi Thirty? She’s always doing amazing stuff

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

This was the program I used to create my first MP3. On a Performa 631CD it took longer than the actual run time of a song. Due to that and storage constraints all my early files were ripped at 128. I can remember a couple of years later redoing everything at 256 when I had a faster machine and larger hard drive.

Ha! I remember scoring a cracked version of the original Fraunhofer(?) institute encoding application, or at least that’s what it said it was.

On a pentium 90, it was way more trouble than it was worth to rip and encode. But I did it a few times.

I can’t remember the name of the file sharing app I found it on. It would have been around ‘97 or so. And I feel like the default UI/search interface web page was black and red along with the app. I think it was cross platform even though I only used it on PC.

At that point, most of my mp3 finding was being done over random FTP sites, lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Re: wax cylinders… they’re not really rare at all. I guess maybe that particular one could be, but I just bought 7 of them at an estate sale auction for $28 about a month ago because I thought they would be cool to have. I mean they kind of are in my mind since they were the first popular playback medium as far as I can tell. No I don’t have a player lol

I wonder if they’ll be sought after more now that Techmoan did his video… eBay had some at similar prices when I checked and bought mine.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I love this photo of a CDC Cyber 70. :allears:

I’m the one guy in yellow who must have photobombed the Ad.
He must have come in like “why are you all standing so still?! Am I having a stroke?”

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Was about to say the same… I can’t think of any way a starter motor would cause an engine to knock just by existing… but maybe the starter motor only turned so fast and so they incidentally had to increase the the compression to make it work, idk

But I’ve heard of same thing happening on old kickstart motorcycles. If you get a kickback it can break your leg. That’s why they say to always keep your leg bent and don’t lock your knee when using your weight to kickstart a bike.

I remember pull starting our three wheelers when I was a kid and that thing could rip the cord out of your hand hard. Stung like hell in cold weather :(

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

We got a rotary dial white phone at an auction and it’s the first thing someone knew picks up when they come to our house. I need to find a way to easily (cheaply) make it work, but haven’t done anything yet.

If anyone has any recommendations, I’m all ears :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

an actual frog posted:

DIY and commercial options are out there
https://www.mattmillman.com/projects/building-your-own-pulse-to-tone-converter/
https://www.oldphoneworks.com/rotatone-pulse-to-tone-converter.html

Combine it with something like the cisco SPA-112 to get it on a modern voip network for maximum anachronism

Oh heck yeah… thanks for this.

I have no landline at all, and no voip so I’m going to have to deal with that too, but this helps a lot. I’m sure I could throw that thing on a breadboard to start. Look for some used equipment… etc

Thanks again

e:

Mantle posted:

If you want a plug and play solution you could get an ATA with rotary support.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20386.0

Then configure your ATA to connect to some PBX SaaS provider.

Thanks for this too!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

DC to Daylight posted:

Oh, definitely. And the way the X and Y axis work bear an awful lot of similarities to a 3d printer.

But I feel like this particular one, with its 25 pin serial cable and all and probably no windows drivers since NT definitely counts as obsolete.

I was going to say it definitely counts as obsolete if you can't buy consumables anymore, but amazon still sells the pens! $25 and only in black ink, but drat, I'm surprised.

Too bad you’re in Boston… I’ll bet CuriousMarc on YouTube would flip to have the thing. He literally found a way to refill the pens on his plotters since you couldn’t buy them anymore.
I’ll bet it’s not as obsolete as you think

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

Oh poo poo that's one of the dude's on CuriousMarc's team :haw:

Technically you might've even experienced an 'analog computer', if you're of a particular vintage. e; Which I'm now remembering you totally are so also add 'and wealth class' to that statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

An analog electronic one, at least. There were also analog mechanical systems used even earlier that had an actual 3D cam profile that continually varied the fuel map based on throttle position, engine speed, and even barometric pressure https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/30-Mfi_Info/30-Mfi_Info.htm

I had a ‘79 911SC at one point that I’m pretty sure had that Bosch mechanical fuel injection.

No user serviceable parts indeed

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed, that’s awesome

But I prefer the Elwood Blues method. Bent coat hanger over a hot plate

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

This owns

“In the future women will listen to Beethoven’s 5th on chips they wear as earrings”
Lol, yup

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That last one with the wireframe VHS tape is legit great

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I love poo poo like this. Let me shamelessly post my own from a decommissioned Voice of America transmitter site, abandoned in 2006

Sadly the main building is kept locked and inaccessible

Is this the one near Maineville, OH? Nearby is 700-WLW which is a hugely powerful AM station as well.

Blasting shithead dumbass right wing crap at 100’s of thousands of watts. Oh and sports

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the Cool Ghoul.

Oh wow… was that just a cinci thing or was he syndicated?

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I found out that Ernest P Warrel did commercials for dairy companies other than Trauth

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

verbal enema posted:

Jim Varney did a shitton of commercials
This, I knew. There’s actually a collection of them on Amazon Prime that I’ve seen

verbal enema posted:

And it's "Worrell"

This, i did not know

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Crime on a Dime posted:

X:97,L:97

I think it was xp mellenium

Lol, pretty sure it was Office ‘97

Or was that the joke? Derp

99% of the modern features probably existed already at that point

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The blues mobile had an 8-track player

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

RoastBeef posted:

It looks like they're part of an Intel in-circuit emulator, like this one:

Wild

I have no idea if I’m right and can’t look it up right now but it may be like the Fluke 9010a Microsystem troubleshooter but only for Intel cpus

Replace the cup with that thing and it’ll bit bang all of the ROMs / RAM and confirm they are valid or show other problems with the address and data buses

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

The beginning of punch tape writer restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOT6TRbI88

Owns

Also re:those tape adapters you could put in to listen to CDs or radio or whatever in a tape deck:
It blew me away when technology connections mentioned that the sound quality is actually really good because theres zero tape hiss.
As an early adopter of CDs I always thought those things were terrible and never used them but looks like I was wrong this whole time.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Humphreys posted:

This TV FUCKS

That’s hilarious. They’re showing a picture on the screen while the rest of the tv is off. The way those work was to watch tv you had to open that huge ugly brown console thing. The top part was hinged on the front and opened to lay flat on the floor, extending the thing by like three feet and having a mirror angled toward the screen. Then with a switch, the 3 crt projectors (RG and B naturally) at the bottom pointing back would turn on, hit the angled mirror, and project on the screen.
On mobile so I can’t easily find a pic of the thing actually open and working, but there’s no way anything would be on the screen as pictured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

evobatman posted:

I collect the very best obsolete things.

Very cool, I actually had the Discman at top right. I didn’t think it was anything super special at the time. I loved it but was it the best at anything?

Also, does the blue Walkman say “guys and dolls”?
And do the MD players play Hi-MD or whatever that format was?