Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc he went pro, pretty much
He made Omega Flowey in Undertale (just in case there's anyone left who didn't know lol) and works with Fangamer on merch, and who knows what else. I imagine he is a pretty busy guy, but he does post every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I bought the full version of Operation: Inner Space, a game from '94 that still ran natively on windows up to 7 (maybe even on 10?). It is still for sale at its original full retail price, which is sort of cool and sort of a bummer.
Cool game, though the conceit of fighting through levels based on folders and filea on your computer has become a bit unmanageable.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I really miss slide-out keyboards. I have never gotten fully used to inferior screen typing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My dad loves to point out that they worked hard to make an acronym that would be pronounced 'sexy' but everyone called it scuzzy instead.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That reminds me of the matchbox record they showed off in the classic movie Gizmo!
It's on youtube for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4p5ZjiR3s
(15:40 for the record)
It is mostly a compilation of old footage, but they got professional lip readers for thr silent footage and dubbed it very well, so even if you've seen some of it before in other co texts it is worth seeing.
It is themed around weird inventions and inventive things, seems like it should be of interest to people in thread. Technology that was obsolete before it was even made.
(I have no clue what he's saying in the 'dedication').

Scarodactyl has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Jun 5, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They just updated the bundle-in music app on my phone to include ads :(

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lenovo fired all their computer security experts shortly after the acquisition. A few years later and they're bundling what is effectively malware in with systems.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sell it, the movie isn't good anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I wish there were a way to experience the Gamesdomain castle again, though without multiplayer it'd be deeply pointless. That was an interesting moment in internet history when weird stuff like that just existed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What kind of chip you got in there, a dorito?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I miss slide out keyboards a lot. I still type slower and typo a lot on screen keyboards.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

To continue reading this file, flip the platter over to side B.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sort of iffy since this is still a current product, but I finally got my hands on one of these babies:

This is an Askania mzm1, an industrial inspection microscope made in Germany. What makes it thread relevant is that it was built using Zeiss plans and probably equipment which are essentially unchanged from the 70s/80s. Back as wwii was ending it had been decided that the Soviets would get control of the town of Jena in eastern Germany where Zeiss was based. However the US soldiers got there first and nabbed the Zeiss engineers and managers but had to leave the equipment and most of the workers. As such past that point there were two independent Zeiss companies rebuilt from those two bases, one in west and one in the east, with a lot of clashing over the trademark. When the wall fell Zeiss reunited along with the rest of the country, with the western zeiss basically taking over on the microscope front, but it turns out some of the eastern zeiss contractors just sort of never stopped. Most of this microscope is completely unchanged from one you could order from the soviet bloc 40-50 years ago.
Honestly, Zeiss Jena didn't make amazing microscopes and this one isn't amazing either, but I still like it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This one is a low magnification setup, zooming from 0.8-4x. It's actually the only 'new' design they make as far as I can tell, but it's just one half of a stereo microscope with a compound microscope head so not really new in a meaningful way. It does have a video camera, though it's mostly acting as a dust cap since it looks to be the more boring, recent kind of obsolete.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My dad got one of those at a pawn shop to add to his ryobi army. He likes it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not the hurdy gurdy video I was expecting tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV__C64Ni50

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How I see it playing out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRsWP_-dO_c&t=163s

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

That's the reason why those things are empty threats. Anything that suddenly and violently destroys your property or your person is bound to be liable for the damages it causes. It's not like a VCR tape is a cop, who can just waltz into your house and break anything they want because they have a warrant.
Or if they're big enough they get a couple tiny settlements and no actual consequences.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Sort of iffy since this is still a current product, but I finally got my hands on one of these babies:

This is an Askania mzm1, an industrial inspection microscope made in Germany.
Honestly, Zeiss Jena didn't make amazing microscopes and this one isn't amazing either, but I still like it.
Speaking of east vs west I recently got the West Zeiss equivalent of this setup (the Tessovar) and really need to do a writeup once I get it operational. Long story short Zeiss West made much better optics but also used a lens cement that likes to spontaneously stop working, land of contrasts etc.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not to mention the whole issue of all the lead in them.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AlternateAccount posted:

When you go into someone’s giant amazing kitchen with all their top end appliances, 8 burner range, double oven, high dollar counter tops etc and pull one of their super expensive knives out and…. It’s dull as poo poo…..

No greater poser flag.
Sounds like they have actually used the knife though?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dungeon Siege rules

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I miss physical phone keyboards. I still can't type right on a screen.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I liked my old phone that had the hinge out key board. It was much nicer to type on and nicer to hold for horizontal viewing too. The screens did keep dying unfortunately.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

Remember computer shows? All that overstock product has moved to shady auction sites now. I miss being able to buy headphones for like a dollar. Or a TV for twenty bucks, delivery up to you.
Driving up to Trenton for the computer fair with my dad and brother when I was in middle school. Cheap games and hardware galore, followed by comically large sandwiches at Harold's New York Deli. Those were the days.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I believe that turned out to be a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

By popular demand posted:

E: also the old man I bought my apartment from had in addition lots of those fake USSR medals and memorabilia made for tourists.
Got an order of victory?