Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Nokia E61
Best drat phone ever. Best and most comfortable 'full size' keyboard, the later models sucked. The only one you could QWERTY an sms reply in your pocket! Browsing any and all websites, posting on forums and all that back in pre-smartphone era. I rocked that thing for 4 years since late high school until it flew into a concrete wall, finally breaking (the wall was badly damaged too).
Who needs music players when you have it in your phone? I bet I tried to watch youtube on it at least a few times.

No teacher, it's just a phone, I forgot my calculator today. on most of my exams :D

Cruising down the memory lane I did write at least two study papers and sent them to the teacher's email when I didn't bother to do them at home the day before :v:
As well as using up a WHOLE 1Gb in a month once. That did cost a pretty penny back when you had like 100mb included in your phone plan. Good thing my dad was friends with his company's assigned phone company contact so I got 1GB included for €20/month.

Erulisse has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Humphreys posted:

OK so lookie what I just found in a spindle of discs:

This will be familiar to Aussies. Nutri-Grain was a cereal and to get the kids onboard they would include game CD-ROMs in the box. Not even a lovely demo - the FULL game.

LMAO they had same thing (or motogp or something like that) in Spain. I'm not into motos so it went into the trash bin straight away

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Eroom's law: software gets slower at the same rate hardware gets faster

I think its all because coding etiquette and overall level decreases over time. It's easier to throw a 150mb library in than to properly and elegantly code in a function you need.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nah, coding etiquette and level has always been pretty bad. We (well, my friends) were bitching about the sloppy coding on personal computers, because the code written for our college mainframe was so much tighter and optimized. We have been bitching about other people's code not being tight enough since, in my own experience, the 1980s.

The truth is that people have gotten more and more expensive, while hardware has gotten ridiculously cheap. It only makes business sense to throw an extra server in the rack, rather than hiring the very expensive person who knows how to carve your bloatware down to a reasonable codebase PLUS migrating the entire existing codebase to the new, optimized setup. Assuming you are the very expensive programmer, persuading your management that slowing everybody else in the company down in order to fix the accumulated cruft in the code is a very, very hard sell.

This isn't about etiquette. It's about what's cheap to fix, and what's very very expensive to fix.

(I still remember that The Mythical Man-Month recommends writing two versions of every library, one that is memory efficient and one that was CPU efficient.)

Everything boils down to profits yet again. Sad sad world we live in :(

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But let's assume we are in a genuine anarchy, no money changing hands, people giving what they don't need and taking what they do. Anarchist me, who is programming just because I love it, is still trying to decide between slamming the codebase of my collective into a brick wall, dead stop, in order to refactor out dead code. Everybody else in my collective has to stall until I'm done, or to spend months downstream stalling in order to integrate my changes, because the codebase is just that bad.

Or we can grab a hundred new processors from the collective next door, because they're fabbing a hundred thousand [insert your favorite imaginary number] a day.

Less human time is consumed by the alternative solution, which means everybody in my collective can go outside and watch the clouds for a bit.

But if you love programming, would you not find a way to implement a good written code somehow, just because you love what you do and do it with full commitment and dedication?
I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Xeon masterrace here, E5-1650v2 with 32gb reg-ecc ram and a 1080. Runs anything great, sometimes at high instead of ultra just for temp (noise) reasons. I like my pc quieter than my kb :v:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Since I first saw this pic a few years ago it still unknown to me how he made this work.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Vavrek posted:

Does anyone remember eMule?

Best thing in my school days!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm about 100% certain the Samsung-hate is generally just racism.

No, gently caress samsung. 2 years of my life, memories and photos were gone after an OTA update on the very first samsung note. It fried the memory chip. Everything was gone, all passwords, notes, contacts etc etc.
Oh loving samsung loving gently caress you, forever

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Humphreys posted:

After-market transponder keyfobs circa early 2000s.

This is the IDEA but not what I had

They had a two-way function so when someone tried a door or the alarm went off it would send a signal back to the fob over RF if you were close enough

I remember having one similar to this installed in my kicking rad Toyota Sera:

Not obsolete and/or failed. Reading aussie car groups on fb makes me wonder that this is future tech for them as they get cool cars stolen every day.
My TLC has one, it is paired with secondary aftermarket locks in doors, trunk and hood and has starter/fuel pump control with a special marker inside the fob. Basically the car won't open without secondary fob and will not start without it.
Throw a tracker inside and you have a car that is a total rear end to get into and even harder to steal one.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Johnny Aztec posted:

You can't just pull the old one out, and slap a new aftermarket in.

Tbqh yes you can. China adapted their production to new cars and tesla tablet trend so abominations were born

Aftermarket lives on!

Also many cars have carplay/android car audio things as expensive options so an aftermarket with integrated carplay is a really good option

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Well just because it exists on AliExpress doesn’t mean it can actually control everything.

A/c controls are tricky to connect but you can buy one on amazon and try out yourself

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The very best in obsolete and failed technology is brand wars. I'd even go as far and say that brand stereotyping is the best indication of an idiotic rear end in a top hat

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

Quit gettin' mad about brands.

You guys seriously need to be shown this pic

every time? What is this, reddit?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

tribbledirigible posted:

No brands, no masters.

what are brands anyway

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

legooolas posted:

Where are you looking? There are lots of competent laptops like this...

My partner has an Acer Swift 5 14" laptop which is honestly so light it feels like they've forgotten to put the PC in the laptop case. It's like 960g and has a touchscreen and 2 M2 slots in it :eyepop:

(Admittedly 14" instead of 13" in this case, but it's insane)

thinkpads do it better tbh, even old and used ones from 2014-2015 that are dirt cheap
x1 carbon/t440

and eMMC and their respective netbooks should die as a class and belong to this very thread

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Aunt Beth posted:

Obsolete and failed: desktop sidebars

Counterpoint: mac dock and all sorts and kinds of widgets available for win10

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

I miss slide out keyboards a lot. I still type slower and typo a lot on screen keyboards.

F. Totally same. I even type slower on regular pc keyboard than I was used to type on phone "fullsize" keyboards

I still miss my bad boy

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had an HTC Tilt II that I really liked for texting.

I also had this, the HTC Touch. No slide out keyboard, but it was a pretty cool little touch screen pda. There is a part of me that misses smaller phone like that.

oh maaaan the memories
that little thing was just great

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yo, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Nokia has one of the best phones of all time. One of the best phones of all time!

Had that too. Sadly lost it in bus :(
Nokia seriously had great ideas for all kinds of phones back then.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Humphreys posted:

I was wishing to all the gods you had a typo in that post.

It is clear as glass he was cheating and ran his post through google and word proofreader before hitting "post".

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

KozmoNaut posted:

The idea is awesome, and I'm seriously impressed by how thin they've been able to make it, while keeping it completely modular. The USB-C port modules in particular are awesome, they took the universally-disliked concept of dongles and figured out a much better form factor for them.

What I'm not so enthused about is that I don't think they're opening up the hardware design, so you can't design and install your own ARM/RISC-V/Z80-based motherboard. Maybe that will change, but for a design that supposed to be modular and long-lasting, I want to see people do all kinds of wild things with it, not just a more repairable x86-only laptop. I also hope there will be AMD-based motherboards at some point.

Unfortunately, I see the PC world moving more towards being phone-like, than the other way around. People want devices that are pre-built and pre-configured, so all they have to do is press the power button and use it. When it breaks, wears out or becomes too slow, it goes to the landfill (or best-case to refurb or electronics recycling) and they buy a brand-new devices.

We're constantly being conditioned to buy, use and throw away, that repairing devices is not worth it and that we shouldn't tinker. I hope we can change that, with Right to Repair and other initiatives.

E: I really miss being able to properly service and repair devices. My current laptop is a Thinkpad X220i, which is nearing a decade old. I've upgraded it way beyond the original specs, with 16GB RAM, a 500GB SSD, 802.11ac WLAN and bluetooth 4.0, and I can still buy and replace every single part of it, including brand-new third-party batteries. The prospect of eventually having to replace it with a more modern laptop is frustrating. If Framework can deliver on what they promise, then perhaps that's the answer.
drat, I have been dreaming and drawing up a modular laptop for like 6 years. Slowly, lack most of the skills but its moving bit by bit.
Modular though as in modules, slide and click boxes like batteries on old laptops. Different locking mechanism of course and still unsure pci-e can hold all the connected modules.
Also I don't even know where to start with writing people asking for estimates for a custom mobo etc. Can't even write a business plan or budget it at all without knowing prices.

E: Bought my wife a used t440i from 2016? i think. Fully repairable, sturdy and works like a charm with a 4th gen? i7. Built-in gpu but for work, occasional fullhd movie and 3487652 chrome tabs it's been okay for now.

Erulisse has a new favorite as of 00:53 on May 16, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

On the other hand, 99% of what people can hoard will still be valueless trash in near future.
Sometimes hoarding can damage people's psychology and believe me, no one would like to live as a hoarder unless they have like a plane hangar worth of free space to sort and store poo poo in.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Now that is a big cup holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

So I missclicked something today and was greeted by this screen.

Made me chuckle a bit.