Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Zotwoz posted:

Piano rolls are cool. Piano rolls are for player pianos. Player pianos are cool as well. In fact they are rad as gently caress

My grandmother has a player piano and a cabinet full of piano rolls. Unfortunately the piano developed a leak (my guess is dry rot on the bellows), so it now takes a monumental amount of effort to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Is this a device for tobacco smoke enemas?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Party lines for phones. My parents were on one for awhile in the early 80's after they moved to a house a few miles away from a small town. You and your neighbors got to share a phone line. If you wanted to make a call you hoped that you weren't going to interrupt someone else when you picked up the phone. If someone left their phone off the hook, nobody could make calls. Some sort of magic allowed incoming calls to only ring the phone of the person they were calling. I was super young and don't remember much more than that, so I'll let Wikipedia explain in more detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_(telephony)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The loving awful Packard Bell modem/sound card. It was the first thing I replaced when my parents bought our first computer.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Twitch posted:

I used to make really obnoxious "techno remixes" then give them misleading names and share them on Napster. It was funny every time.

I really enjoyed renaming "Bastard of Christ" by Deicide to the names of really popular pop songs. I always kind of wished I was around when some kid thought they were going to listen to Britney Spears or whatever and encountered Satanic death metal instead.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I had to buy floppies a year or so ago and ended up going to about 5 stores before I found a single box of them. Had to spend way too much for 25 of them when I only needed one. The girl at the register was like "We still sell these?" I was pretty amazed the drive still worked after sitting in my case disconnected for about 10 years.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

One of my friends works at a programming company and they have a division that still puts things on to punch cards because that is what some of their clients still require.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Yes, it's a "normal" head unit installed standard with the car, so it has the features of a generic music player (skip, shuffle, etc.). Mp3 management just seems to be something of an afterthought. Shuffle will (shockingly, considering) shuffle a single folder's contents (recursive selected sub-folder shuffle = no) or the entire directory structure.

I will say this: copying things over to the USB drive used to be a major pain. I'd copy them over, then use mp3tag to apply a baroque folder restructuring so I could browse by Genre/Artist, and another program to truncate folder and filenames. I Googled/figured out how to use foobar to export a shitload of albums by genre and artist, and apply a truncated subfolder structure in one go, while avoiding the 700 folder problem.

code:
$cut(%genre%,50)/$cut(%album artist% - %album%,50)/$cut(%track% - %title%,50)
Then it's Sanse Mp3 Art Sizer to change album art.

Then BulkFileChanger.

Frankly, I'm surprised I managed to cobble a process together.

vvvvv ah, my bad

I'm really drunk but have you ever considered that maybe you are loving insane?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I used to edit "Bastard of Christ" by Deicide to have the same length as whatever was popular like N'Sync/Britney Spears songs and rename it to that and laugh and laugh as I watched people download it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I worked in the library in both middle and high school and I will never forget how happy all the other kids looked when I showed up wheeling in the tv/vcr cart. I was this weird nerd but if you saw me you knew it was an easy day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Groke posted:

Also has such advantages as empty stovetops not getting hot no matter how many buttons your toddler fiddles with.

How will they learn not to do this without the negative reinforcement from things getting hot? Seems like a bad design.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My girlfriend will def tell you that I support floppy drives.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's a lot bigger as a hard disk, I swear.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The average is 5.25? I thought it was 3.5. This is very unsettling.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I have an 8" floppy stashed in my closet :smug:

PM me!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

You could jam a USB-C cable in there.

My ex-girlfriend said this too. There's a reason she's now my ex.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Arivia posted:

Only use Made for iPhone cables for sounding or you can get an infection

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9996959/Boy-15-gets-USB-cable-stuck-penis-sexual-experiment-gone-wrong.html

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That reminds me of the time a kid I went to highschool with (so around 1995-1999) told me he got his hands on a computer virus that would spin the hard drive so fast it would melt or catch on fire. I can't remember which. I told him "Awesome! I've got an old hard drive I could destroy, let me check it out!" But apparently it was "too powerful" to spread around.

Edit: I should probably mention that I knew it was BS at the time, it was just an easy way to call out his lying without outright doing so.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Apr 24, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gromit posted:

I've had that box with the kit still in it for decades, and no idea where it came from. I'm not into model making or anime robots, so I don't even know why I haven't thrown it out yet.

I'm not into that stuff either but there is probably some turbo-nerd who would fork out good money for it. Decades old, unbuilt, plus box?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a bootleg kit too. Probably worth nothing except to someone collecting bootlegs

I'm positive that person exists somewhere, god only knows how to find them though. Even a person who collects normal ones might be tempted based on age and having the box etc., just as a curiosity. I don't know how common that kit is or was even in non-bootleg form when it was made or if they still make them etc. LIke I said you'd need to find a turbo-nerd.

Hell, toss it up on SA-Mart, post about it in the modeling thread (I assume we have one) there's a good chance someone will want it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Less Than Jake put on an awesome show live.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

holefoods posted:

amazing. I was at half price books a few months ago and listened to some guy assuring his girlfriend that the laserdiscs were just big CDs before they made them smaller and it’s just soundtracks, not actual movies and whoever sold them to HPBs must have really loved soundtracks.

It's even funnier once you learn that CED's exist which are, in reality, films on vinyl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I used to edit the song "Bastard of Christ" by Deicide to be the same size/length as top 40 hit songs and rename it so people trying to get the latest N'Sync or Britany Spears or whatever from me on Napster would end up with that instead of the real song.

EDIT: and yes it was funny as hell

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Did Napster have checksum or was it solely length/title/artist for songs?

I don't remember anything about Napster.

Based on how many downloads I got it seemed to just go by the size of the file or just didn't check at all.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I think? It might have just shown file name and length. It's been a couple of decades so I don't fully remember.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The individual ports aren't odd. Having ALL OF THEM AND MORE is.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That feel when Clint from LGR e-mails you back asking for more info. *swoon*

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Posts like this are why I will never tire of SA. Thanks for the great write-up of something I will never deal with but is also very neat.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo this guy has banks of old telcom hardware, wtf.

LOL have you never seen his channel? Guy ripped apart an old pipe organ and reassembled it from fist principles.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hahaha nice typo me. But yeah he builds and restores all sorts of amazing stuff and there is years of solid content.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Horace posted:

I found some 8 Track cartridges in a vintage shop and decided to see if the 8 track player in my car worked. Would you know? It works fine. Even sounds quite good! There's something appealing about the simplicity of the format. There isn't even a power button. The only control is the cartridge and whether it's inserted or not. If it's in the player, it's playing. If it's not, it's not. I think I'll get some more carts.

A couple of decades ago I decided to try out the 8 track player and carts that were in my basement. 70's-80's vintage. The tape on 4/5 carts instantly snapped and I gave up. They did not hold up well after a couple of decades in random basements. The player worked fine though.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

I like vinyl. Not for sound quality, although I enjoy the snaps, pops and crackles, but I just enjoy putting a vinyl on and listening to a record with some concentration.

If I listen on a computer I tend to get distracted and pause and look at a video etc.

I've been buying one vinyl a month for some time now. It's a nice little treat.

One annoying trend is that many new releases are double vinyls, because they apparently have a better sound quality, but that just means more swapping when listening. I can deal with one side swap during an album, but three starts to get annoying.

I don't own any vinyl, my audio set up sucks, but I know a guy who runs a tiny label putting out autistically super high quality vinyl. While it's not my thing the sheer physicality of it is nice and it's neat to see all the moving parts, from masters to test presses to final product and assembly. It all takes a bit more effort but you get nice big art you can display etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

This is the exact version I have:
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07519/1130-80/Star-Wars:-A-New-Hope-(FOX)

On Vinyl/any physical music release: I find that I will actually listen to the whole album as intended by the band/artist. If I piecemeal buy a song here and there digitally it really isnt the same thing. Imagine listening to Fear Factorys' Obsolete album without reading along with the liner notes and knowing the story!

I've gotten pretty good at not letting my ADHD control my music and keeping me from full albums but i do miss liner notes. Some band had liner notes about grafting coral or deer horns to your skull? Having a nice little book with lyrics, art, and ??? is awesome. Plus patches and stickers and posters and all the neat insert goodness.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Horace posted:

It has an integrated pen holder.

This is an instance of Show Don't Tell.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Horace posted:

The surround with the pen holder is part of the radio. I don't know why they included it, the pen flies out the first time you go round a corner. (not my picture, my car is never so dusty)

OMG this is even more lovely and useless than I was picturing in my head. Fantastic all around.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I only listen to IMAX releases on the original 70mm print. Anything else just doesn't have the same warmth.

Of course, my entire house had to be renovated to store the system and platters, which are 550 pounds apiece. But you can't put a price on fidelity.

Is this you???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2IOOhJmxw

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I've watched that video like 2-3 times and I cannot tell what is actually good for the audio and what is audiophile bullshit.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Considering this actually toured, I think the speaker columns are at least legit.

The separate electical supply just for the room is amazing. I think that CALtech can repurpose the design of that phonograph to aid in earthquake detection, though. The 3 styluses are definitely overkill.

The end of that hit me like a ton of bricks, though. :(

It makes me sad and/or makes me laugh that the Wall of Sound led to fake amp/speaker stacks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

wa27 posted:

I really don't think there's a modern equivalent to things like china hutches, grandfather clocks, pianos, etc. Maybe man cave stuff? Pool tables that never get used, putting a bar in your basement, things like that.

I mean there's plenty of things that "regular people" buy because it makes them feel wealthy: $80,000 pickups, yeti coolers, RV's. But there's not much these days that people buy just because "that's just what ya do."

Funko Pops