Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mister Snips posted:

the palm centro came out three months after the iphone did :shepface:

Yeah but the Centro was the biggest success in a while for Palm? That device is why they were around as long as they were after the iPhone was released. Beyond that, webOS was intended to be a "real competitor," being a complete redesign of what Palm had been serving up for years. Problem was that it was a hail mary play and failed to hit some key milestones and partnerships early on.

e; To be clear, the Centro is most certainly obsolete, and pretty much was at release. That's not what killed the company though. :v:

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
What baffles me is that the prices of TI's calculators haven't changed seemingly at all in the past 12-odd years since I bought my 89. :psyduck:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ZanderZ posted:

It's a horrible failure! Your hands are already clean! Who cares if you touch a handle? I miss the regular old ones with the lever you pull. Instant results! Pull lever, receive paper towel. Pull lever more for more paper towels. This thing is a delayed reaction.

1) Swipe hand
2) Wait for paper towel
3) Wait to swipe hand again
4) Swipe hand again
5) Get another paper towel.

There's always at least 1 guy trying to get more towels, with one guy waiting behind him.

The worst part of these is that they're usually adjustable in how much they'll spit out at a time (that brand is, at least), and either in the effort of cost savings or ignorance of the feature, they're always set to the minimum length which just leads to what you describe. The longer setting gives more than enough to dry your hands with on the first wave. Even worse are the models that want you to pull the towel off before dispensing any more.

Aaand there's several dozen more words about paper towel dispensers than I expected to type today.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jul 30, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

A lot of LCD monitors do the rotate trick, it pretty much owns.

Yep, for a while I had two Dell 24" displays set up with one in portrait for web browsing. Also nice for viewing high res comic book pages one at a time. Nvidia control panel can rotate either monitor 90, 180, or 270 degrees from "normal" for any orientation. Not sure about AMD hardware.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Seeing that thread never fails to make me chuckle.

a wrong person posted:

Raise your hand if you have iTunes ...

Raise your hand if you have a FireWire port ...

Raise your hand if you have both ...

Raise your hand if you have $400 to spend on a cute Apple device ...

There is Apple's market. Pretty slim, eh? I don't see many sales in the future of iPod.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

As I was looking around, that site layout seemed really familiar. Then I looked it up and yep:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031202030033/http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Wow, Jon Rubinstein in the intro video and everything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
An impact driver makes Phillips head screws about a billion times easier to drive in without the bit camming out. You need much less pressure down on the head than with a typical driver drill. Still far from perfect, though. I'd much prefer it if Robertson was more prolific.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sir_Substance posted:

It's people using impact drivers to insert phillips heads and holding the trigger down "just to make sure" after they're well in that strips phillips heads in the first place. I would like to impact drill more then one persons hands, because it's always me that has to undo their hamfisted work to extract a switch from a rack or open a case. It's a pre-threaded hole you grubs, use a hand tool.

I'm talking about thread forming screws only, sorry. Driver drill with a clutch or a hand tool are better for machine screws, of course.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Did I hear mention of PCMCIA ?

This is a PCMCIA / SD card adaptor slot , in a car made in 2011

Reminds me whenever I see my friend who has a 2010 Toyota, in which a cassette deck was still an optional accessory, that car manufacturers don't always use the latest/best technology

What's the port to the left?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Its a pretty big thing that people overlooked when film was being "miniaturized" in the late 90's to try and compete with the beginnings of digital. Chemical film size plays a huge part in the clarity of the image, particularly if you're trying to keep costs within a reasonable limit. Small was just plain shittier then 35mm.

Does anyone have any recent experience in film photography art? Digitial may be far superior for everyday and professional use but darkroom work was one of the highlights of my school days in the early 2000's and would hate for people to miss out on it now because of digital.

RIT, with its huge photography program in the city where consumer film and cameras were born and raised, recently removed (well, converted to hilariously small offices) a huge portion of the freshman b/w darkrooms and I think all but like 2 color film processing machines. Big, big difference from even 10 years ago when my wife graduated from the program.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Apr 22, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

moller posted:

Fav. being my 12" Powerbook G4.

When will another laptop meet my gray, square needs?

Goddamn that was a great laptop. Mine was the top of the line, last revision for that model. Begrudgingly sold it after a good 7-8 years. One of the first with a multi-touch trackpad, poo poo was like witchcraft.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Halloween isn't until Saturday, knock it off with the spooky stories already

I get the basic idea of what was going on with no buffer underrun protection, but can anybody talk about it in detail? Why was it ever acceptable for burners/software to not account for an unsteady stream of data to the disc as it was being written? It seems like that was a problem for way longer than it should have been.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Fast food restaurants are always looking for some kind of trick to speed ordering. The Chick-Fil-A near us now lets soccer moms in minivans full of kids give their orders in the drive-thru, park, come inside, and they'll deliver your food to your table. I'm still not sure what that's supposed to speed up.

Pure speculation, but its probably a bit easier/faster for the parent to get the order placed when all the kids are (presumably) still strapped into their seats and not milling around the restaurant. Plus, food's ready by the time everybody gets inside.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ryonguy posted:

The existence of 3D metal printing makes this sentence obsolete.

If you don't mind paying like $800 for some little bracket, sure.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Of the two chip cards I use regularly (both credit cards, one from Capital One and the other from my credit union), one is chip+sig but depending on the merchant might not require the signature when the chip is used, and the other is chip+PIN, but the PIN can just be bypassed at some merchants. :psyduck:

Not to mention the dozens of merchants that have the new hardware with the chip slot taped over, so the card has to be swiped anyway. Southern California.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

I can, but it then means I can't use it for viewing the cars data using torque :( my boost gauge :(

Current plan is get a tablet and suffer the mild inconvenience of booting it up and running maps every time, if I can't find an older model one new somewhere.

Do you have split screen support on your phone?

I'm mostly kidding, this actually looks somewhat workable though.

e; my screenshot seems to have broken.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Sep 3, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Now somebody post the secret swipes to make precise text selection not rear end.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
e; duh, thought this was the Android thread. :downs:

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Sep 19, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Big Word posted:

I knew a guy who had one of these for his GBA. It had composite input so one day he brought his N64 to school and we played a few awkward rounds of Goldeneye on that tiny non-backlit screen

My eyes are straining just thinking about this.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
If only they all had an online catalog as well made as McMaster-Carr.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I wish WebOS had taken off. I had a Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2, and even a HP Pre 3. The pre 3 never came out to the public because HP cancelled it but a ton of them were given to AT&T employees who just put them up on eBay and that’s how I got mine.

Hell yes, current hot poo poo gesture nav 10 years ahead of its time. Google's Pixel full gesture nav is basically lifted straight from WebOS at this point (with a couple small differences).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I really hate the way YouTube Music intermingles with regular YouTube (play history, etc). What a dumb rear end choice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowclock posted:

It doesn't, though? At least for me I use regular Youtube and Music on the same account and if I go to the history for either they're completely separate. The real Youtube Music crime was when The Humpty Dance came on and it was a version that censored "Burger King" and "rear".

Vanced still works.

Poor example on my part, I was mistaken about play history after looking again. Although, YTM playlists are listed along with YouTube's, and more than once I've had rewards surveys asking if I "remember watching this video" with a screenshot of a YouTube video of whatever song that I had listened to in YTM at some point. That along with it falling back to some rando's music uploads on YT sometimes is the intermingling that bugs me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Moving spinny computer parts on their side is also really only a big issue if they're actively spinning when you move them. Just having them positioned at an angle or sideways during normal operation usually isn't a problem.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Negostrike posted:

How exactly do I distinguish the "top-tier" apes from the "low-tier" ones?

Turn on your monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

monolithburger posted:

The whole thing looked cool as gently caress though

I AM APTIVA

A friend's family had one of these growing up and it looked 20 years ahead of the beige Pentium II Dell at our house.