Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I'm tempted to steal this as a new avatar. Glorious!

Varance has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Radio Help posted:

I'm sure they exist in some other form, nowadays, but I haven't seen this particular style in many years. I loved the gently caress out of these things when I was a little kid. Mom all yellin at me for wasting paper when I came back with a huge stack of "Buy two gallons of clamato juice, get one package of cream cheese free" coupons. Also, the little blinky light on the side. Ahh, good times.

Saw one of these in Publix the other day. This is the modern version:

They really want you to buy that creamer...

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

When I was a kid I was in a summer camp that had a few cases of these on the shelf in a storage room:

Maybe not this exact brand, but same thing: fire grenades. You'd throw them at a fire, they'd break, and they were full of carbon tetrachloride.
We had one of those in the house I grew up in. Kinda glad we never had to use it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm hoping it goes on long enough for people to start going, "Remember that horrible motion controller MS did for the 360? I think it was like the Connex or something."

This thread needs more ROB, Power Glove, etc..

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

mints posted:

If I remember right this was before detachable faces were affordable. I had an older cousin that had a radio like that in her car. By the time I was driving detachable faces were all the rage. Now I can't remember the last time I even bothered to take it off, and it seems like aftermarket stereos in general have kind of gone by the wayside, I dropped a few grand over the course of a few years on my car back in the late 90s, but now most cars come with decent head units and really only need some amps and speakers if you want to get a better sound.
More like stereos are integrated so heavily into the vehicle computer control system on new vehicles that they've made aftermarket radios irrelevant in most mid/high end stuff.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hmm... the best in obsolete and failed technology...

Nah, pretty sure everyone who reads this thread already thought about posting that one.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

Sorting out my parents' cable box (and the myriad of USB Micro-B and Ethernet cables), I came across this particular gizmo:

From the looks of it, it appears to be a plug for a PC so that TRRS headphones with mics can retain both functions.

But then again, the two male plugs are only TS, so… :confused:

That's an airplane audio adapter that lets you use your personal stereo mini headphones with the onboard audio system.

Edit: Back in the day, airplanes provided headphones in a complimentary fashion. The dual mono setup is designed to prevent theft, as they won't work with the majority of audio devices. Newer airplanes have standard stereo mini jacks, as airlines generally don't give out free anything these days.

Varance has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Besesoth posted:

I think they mean this guy, not the chains:

Base Emitter posted:

I'm not sure what that is.

That looks like a boiler manhole cover, which is used to cover/seal an access point used to wash out and inspect a boiler. Definitely not in place in the picture.

Edit: also looks to be missing parts.

Varance has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Mar 17, 2015

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So why don't I see those on the subway in NYC? It's obviously obsolete technology but more advanced than the regular maps.

They exist, but only at common transfer stations due to the cost of each kiosk ($15k each).

http://web.mta.info/nyct/OntheGoAds/

Platystemon posted:

There are apps for that.
This. Google Transit et. al. do just fine without expensive hardware deployments.

Varance has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Dec 19, 2016

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's the Atlanta MARTA ticket machines that give change in $1 coins.

That's not just an Atlanta thing. Most transit TVMs give change in $1 coins.

It pisses people off to no end when they buy a pass with a $20 bill, because what am I going to do with these 14-16 gold coins?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

I love dollar coins because I keep my change in my pocket and a few of those can get me a coffee or a taco or whatever if I forgot my wallet!
I spent a lot of time in Canada back when the toonie first came out, and I love the hell out of those things.

Varance has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Feb 4, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Spend them? Either that, or take them to your bank and get dollar bills back if you don't like coins so much.

Platystemon posted:

Either spend them or dump them in a change jar and deposit it periodically.
Not everyone wears clothing with pockets. Some people like to stuff money in their smartphone, their socks, their bra, etc.. Now try sticking a dozen dollar coins in there.

(That said, purchasing transit passes via app and credit card are now a widespread thing, so it's less of an issue these days.)

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

I did steam for several years. That kid is going to be deaf and/or maimed by the time he's 40 from not using proper PPE.

A fully fired steam engine is almost as loud as a jet engine. North of 120 decibels, constant noise. It makes your ears ring in the first 30 seconds once the draft is running if you're not using earplugs. Where I was at, we would do mandatory yearly hearing screenings per OSHA, and engineers were automatically removed from the position if there was a noticeable dip in hearing (almost always because the engineer didn't want to wear earplugs).

Varance has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Dec 16, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is definitely a subsystem for train information and accessories, and not something that would be able to directly control major train subsystems like the MCB (power), TCUs (motors), BCUs (brakes), doors, pantographs, etc.. Most trainsets do indeed run DOS for critical systems.

For example, the operating panel and systems in a major model of light rail trainset manufactured for the United States runs on a self-contained DOS system with no sort of wireless external connection, so that you can't hack a train to go max speed and smash into something. There's also a self-contained Train Management System (TMS) that can key down (shut down) the train if the operator doesn't play a game of Bop-It with the controls every 10 seconds. The only thing it's able to do is receive an "operator did something" signal from the operating panel, and send a "shut down train" signal. Again, no wireless connectivity. The OEM CAD/AVL/Radio subsystem runs on Windows CE. It has wireless connectivity and is antiquated as hell by this point, but the only thing it can see is if someone has a key inserted into the interlock, and that's it. No physical wired connection to any other train subsystem, unless you specifically ask for remote vehicle monitoring software.

Edit: Most annoying part about foreign-made LRVs is that they tend to leave DOS in their native language. Older Siemens LRVs are notorious for being a pain to troubleshoot if you don't know German.

Varance has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jan 4, 2022

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't imagine using tapes in the modern era for any reason other than nostalgia or curiosity.

For those of us with really old cars that don't have something like CarPlay or an aux port, the casette deck is your friend.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

Get one of those tapes that’s actually an aux in?
Yup. They're still pretty common in auto parts stores.

Dick Trauma posted:

Because of the italics you now must post the car. :colbert:

OK, maybe not that old. '01 Tacoma. Drivin' it 'till it dies. Or as long as these things last, until I die.

Varance has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Aug 13, 2022

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Didn't the Italian government specifically spend money so that wouldn't happen? I vaguely remember hearing plans for fortifying the Tower of Pisa's foundation so it would stop continuing to lean.

Leaning Tower was closed from 1990 to 2001 for stabilization. Unliklely it will fall any time soon, though it will never be fully straightened due to the entire tower having a curve - one side was built shorter than the other. As part of an attempt to compensate for the tilt during construction, they skimped on one side to straighten it out as it went up.

Details: https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil-engineering/what-do-civil-engineers-do/stabilising-the-leaning-tower-of-pisa/

Varance has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

VIA in Canada still has cars like this in service on their long-distance trains and they’re absolutely gorgeous to sit and watch the world go by in.

They're also predictably falling apart from regular transcontinental use.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/via-rail-says-its-passenger-trains-are-past-their-prime-calls-on-ottawa-to-replace-the-fleet-1.6779722