Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Zip drives weren't a failed technology. They were pretty widespread and In the days before CD burners the were by far the best way to transfer files and are still useful on old computers that aren't connected to a network.

Jaz drives are what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

Had it been slightly more polished and more user-friendly

That's the been the story people have been saying with everything linux infinity BC to today.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

DIVX was doomed to fail. Does anybody remember those DVDs that somehow decayed or something after a few days? It was supposed to mean the end of late fees, as they were disposable. Of course, DVD encryption was cracked, and ripping DVDs became quite simple.

Then someone wrote a nice song about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekuuNqAiQg

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

56k posted:

If this thing still exists and works, I am convinced this is how my grandma uses the internet.

A few years ago Lowtax saw that someone was posting on SA with a WebTV and then banned them for it.

Edit: "About 91% of visitors are on Windows. Mac users make up 5% and Linux is 2%. The other 2% are permabanned IRC trolls browsing the forums with a text-based browser written in Ruby on OpenBSD. Oh yeah, we have one guy using WebTV but I banned him because WTF."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

This was my first digital camera; I got it for Christmas in 2005

* 4 megapixels!
* 3x optical zoom! (5x digital zoom)
* 1 minute od video recording! (but no microphone)
* Runs on 2 AA batteries!

Okay, so it was pretty basic. But you know, I got the best, richest colour from that camera than any others I've ever had. If it wasn't so underpowered, I'd still be using it today

That's not an especially obsolete camera. Most CCDs today are still not that much bigger than 4 megapixles. I not really sure how a point and shoot camera today would be that much different than that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Invisble Manuel posted:

I had this:

my senior year in high school, and beginning college. It was great, because teacher's let me use it like a calculator, but because it was programmable in BASIC, you could have comments for things like stat formulas, etc. I wrote a program to solve basic linear algebra matrices.

The printer had 4 colored tiny ballpoint pens, and it would 'write' whatever it was you were printing.

I may even still have it somewhere...

If it ain't Reverse Polish it ain't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah the Stylophone had a major resurgence in the mid-2000's with nerds and nerd music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHgziac87-Y

Does TechTV fit in this thread? God I miss TechTV :(

Holy poo poo, that was phoned in as gently caress. TMBG really are terrible without the brass section.