Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

GonzoRonin posted:

I was going through a bunch of my stuff in the basement and found a CueCat. I don't know of anything useful I can use it for so I think it's gonna become a bicycle accoutrement.

I don't know about "useful", but there are still uses for it - Google 'cuecat hack'.

I had one of those too, but only the 32MB version. It still took drat forever to load and only held around 10 songs at best (unless you figured out how to re-encode them with a lower bitrate.) Who'd have thought we'd be using phones and handheld video game systems for that nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

hyperhazard posted:

When the Game Boy Advance came out with the bright LCD screen, it blew my mind. If you ever feel the need to play a game that's both under- and over-exposed, though, I recommend the wormlight.

Sadly, it wasn't the first GBA that had the lit screen, unless you count the Afterburner mod. There was a regular Worm Light for the GBA, as well as an upgraded model with a link cable pass-through. The first Nintendo handheld widely available outside of Japan with a lit screen was the Game Boy Advance SP. (I say "outside of Japan" because the short-lived Game Boy Light was actually the first.) Even then, the earlier models of SP were actually front-lit; it wasn't until a later model (after the DS's release) that a back-lit one came out.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Jul 13, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jedit posted:

Singles?

Alternately, 45's, because they were played at 45RPM (as opposed to 33RPM for full-sized albums.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jedit posted:

Some were played at 78RPM, though.

Those wouldn't be 45s then, would they?

Edit: I'm not old enough to comment properly on records since I was born in '77, but I don't recall ever seeing a commercial record that played at anything but 33 or 45.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Aquila posted:

Also the bluray name is solely due to Sony wanting a somewhat logical continuation to CD and DvD, hence BD. They had someone come up with something that sounded cool and abbreviated to BD.

Not the obvious reason that the laser is blue?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Sales departments live and die by fax machines in any place I've ever worked.

The major reason faxes are still widely used is that faxed documents have a legal status that scanned/emailed documents don't. (A faxed signature is as good legally as an original, but scanned/emailed signatures aren't.)

E: I'm not a lawyer, but that was the reason I was always told for why fax is still used.
vv

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jul 18, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Reminds me of a place I worked at in 98. We made stuff like buttons and keychains and at least once a week we would get a rush order and they would say, "If you fax you the cheque can you start production today and ship them?"

Our answer was, "Sure. We'll take the fax cheque to the fax bank where we will get fax cash and then fax you your order."

Well, that's a little different. I meant legal documents like contracts and such. For a check you obviously need the original (not necessarily so much anymore with some banks able to deposit checks through smartphone apps via photo) but for other things it's usually fine.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Manky posted:

(backlit, instead of the frontlit SP screens)

:eng101: Later models of the SP had backlit screens as well. The easiest way to tell which it is is to press the light button; if the light goes off, it's the older frontlit model, if it changes brightness instead, it's the newer backlit model.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Landerig posted:

Make a version that will do coffee and that'd be a smash hit over here in the USA.

I can't tell if the one in the picture has a timer or you just hit a button to start it, but there are plenty of single-serve coffee makers available in the US - the cheaper ones use tea bag-like coffee pouches called "pods", but you can also (with some clever folding) fill a regular coffee filter with the grounds of your choice (or just stick a tea bag in it) and press the button when you wake up to have hot coffee in about 2 minutes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

razorrozar posted:

Anybody remember this piece of poo poo?

This thing was a wet dream for ten-year-olds. Imagine being able to play 52 games without having to change a cartridge!

And then you stuck it in and found out you actually couldn't play any of them, because they all sucked.

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a review of this pile of poo poo a while back, and every single game on it is poo poo. Have an embed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QBeADNM34

There's also a part 2 where he talks about Cheetahmen (and I think Cheetahmen 2).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mystes posted:

On the other hand, as someone who hasn't routinely used physical media to transfer files between computers since the 1990's, I am starting to suspect that people who aren't using networks and/or the internet to transfer files by now aren't going to start doing so any time soon.

Depending on the quantity of data to be moved, sneakernet is still often faster than networks and/or the internet.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Plus isn't 'sneakernet' basically always going to be faster(sortof), at least to some extent? You can only shove data down a line so fast, whereas you can basically make storage devices infinitely huge forever (sortof).

Sort of. Sneakernet is an excellent example of high bandwidth (as many flash drives / portable hard drives as you can transport) versus high latency (it takes a longer time for one "packet" to arrive at its destination, but the packet is much larger than a network could send as a packet.)

E: It doesn't matter so much for the average Joe, but if you're a big corporation like Google and you need to move multiple terabytes of data from one place to another, it's useful. (That's mentioned in the wikipedia article I linked; specifically it was 120TB.)
vv

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Sep 21, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Kalos posted:

AOL was particularly crafty about it though, selling a "bring your own connection" service where you could use their lovely software (for a monthly fee) with whatever internet service you had.

What do you mean "was"? I know people that still pay for this poo poo, no matter how much I try to push them away from it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

univbee posted:

A major bank I used to work at was using Windows 2000 until about a year ago, and moved to Windows 7 despite having IE6-requiring backend websites. They ended up having to get a massive site license for VMware thinapp so they could run IE6 in Windows 7.

If they upgraded to Win7 Pro, they could have just used the built-in Windows XP Mode and not had to buy that massive site license.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

There are people out there who don't replace their fuses when they blow for whatever reason, they just put in a strand of copper wire instead and clamp it down like that. The scary part is that this is done not only in standalone houses, I've seen it many times in large apartment complexes with hundreds of tenants. Heavens forbid that you actually NEED the fuse to blow, for example if your old rubber or cotton insulation is not doing its job anymore. Some people just don't understand the concept of a fire hazard, which, in case of an actual goddamn fire translates to dozens of fatalities in a large apartment complex.

This is why there are fuse replacements that are essentially breakers, so replacing the entire box isn't necessary, and they can still shut off when needed.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Boxman posted:

I actually got one of these in 2006-ish. The high school I was working for had a box of them sitting in a storage closet. Never did do anything interesting with it, though; I had no way to write to the CF storage, as society was already on to SD. :shobon:

CF should still be common enough in older high-end digital cameras that there are still cheap CF readers around, like this one.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh man, I wonder what kind of resolution/frame rate these things got. I can't imagine this was even remotely watchable.

You could get better quality video with a homebrew setup, converting your own videos.

Nerdrock posted:

If you had Phantasy Star Online and a Network Adapter you could set up some sort of server to "stream" an iso to the system. Got bored one day and tried it out. It worked, but not well.

It's funny how much easier pirating Wii games seems than pirating Gamecube games; you can load a bunch of them onto an external hard drive and run them on the Wii from there. The more standard disc format probably helped a lot. (Emulation of the Gamecube and Wii is pretty solid too, and you can even use a real Wiimote with it.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Killer robot posted:

It's Ctrl+Esc, opens the Start menu. Nothing special, just got lots of hatred by 1990s neckbeards because :qq: Windows 95! :qq:
I was one. Got better. Still don't use it much.

Since XP, it's the modifier key for a bunch of handy shortcuts. For instance, Win+R opens the Run dialog, Win+Left/Right arrow snaps the current window to that side of the screen, and so on.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I had a trackball like this (it didn't have the small buttons, just left and right) and I quite liked it for everything but playing games. For simple movements that don't need to be fast it's fine, for most games (especially first person shooters) it's crap.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

These were pretty decent but the worst part is having to flip it over, take out 3 or 4 screws and basically pull it all apart just to clean the contacts for the trackball. Some other ones actually had a ring that twisted and snapped in place (just like old ball mice) so you could take the trackball out from the top side and clean it more easily. I still remember playing Doom and Quake with my friends online and owning them hard with the trackball once I got used to it :black101:

My brother had one of those, and all you had to do to get the ball out was push it up through a hole in the bottom.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

WebDog posted:

In Australia we had the same, but with credit cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlHsh2L8jKU

They were phased out recently when 7-11 brought out Mobil's outlets. There was a host of other issues like low sales at stores or the fact there wasn't any sign system on credit cards so people could rock up with stolen cards and go wild.

As far as I know, most gas stations in the US have these, and of course stolen credit cards are a problem with them. It's just part of the current continuing trend of trading security for convenience.

Edit: The Speedpass had the potential to be even worse, as you don't even need the card in hand, just the key chain.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Also, I was told as a kid that dryer sheets shorten the lifespan of your dryer, so only use liquid softener. Is there any truth to that?

"No" was already said, but you do have to remember to scrub the lint filter with soap and a brush periodically for the same reason to not use fabric softener on towels - the waxy stuff accumulates on the screen and makes it harder for air to pass through it, so the dryer becomes less efficient.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I want to get six and put them all over my office desk with labels vaguely alluding to dangerous functionality.

I want to get two and operate my computer Etch-A-Sketch style.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

LOAD"GIANA SISTERS",8,1

I suspect most people went with the lazy shortcut and used LOAD"*",8,1 for everything.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Ahhh Starforce. The best argument for not buying games you could possibly make :v:

Thank god we live in the age of Steam sales letting you eventually buy whatever for $3 or something.

Games for Windows Live is pretty compelling as well.

On the subject of DRM and GFWL, does anyone else think it's ridiculous insane that GTAIV on Steam also uses GFWL, SecuROM, and their own Rockstar Social Club bullshit?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

Maybe this is a mostly American thing

It is, American censorship hits sex/nudity much harder than it hits violence. (I know many other countries are the other way around.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Does anyone even sell USB A-A cables outside of online sellers who will make any cable you ask for even if it doesn't make sense? :stonk:

I don't know about selling them, but I once had an extremely cheap digital camera that used a USB A-A cable to transfer its pictures to the computer. (It was one of those tiny cheap ones that only has its own internal memory, needs a crappy program to download the pictures, takes the pictures in like 640x480, and runs on two AAAs.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

What the... what was wrong with just using a USB A-B cable like everyone else?

I can't find a picture of one like it, but I don't think a B port would have fit in its thickness. Like I said, it was tiny.

Edit: Found it. If you scroll down there's a couple pictures that show the USB A port on the side. Mini or micro USB surely would have worked fine.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Dec 20, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Dial-A-Song is back. Once upon a time you could call a tape-based answering machine and hear a song. It was a way to listen to music for free in the days before youtube and bittorrent. Now it's back and...probably all digital now. Feel free to call (844) 387-6962 to relive the years from 1983 to 2006!

:ssh: The same song as on the phone number can be heard (in better quality) on DialASong.com.

Edit: Or their Youtube channel.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Jan 6, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of places, "nuclear bomb" is the most commonly used term, which I think is more descriptive.

Except when people call it a 'nucular bomb'. :suicide:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I think the last place I remember seeing one of those ancient credit card things was in an equally ancient Rally's commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcExSzZF_h0

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Jul 14, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Facebook messaging has replaced SMS for a lot of people.

Probably because cell companies charge ridiculous rates for text messaging, which costs them next to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think Leather Goddesses of Phobos had the most elaborate setup, although I can't remember exactly what it was now.

I remember the scratch-and-sniff card, the mini-comic, and the map. There might have been more non-flat feelies in an earlier release, I had the one that came in a flat paperboard folder.