Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A bit of a derail, butI found a receipt for a 4GB stick of DDR3 I bought just about 5 years ago.

$15 on sale.

Man, I forgot RAM used to be so cheap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Just about every phone has some sort of USB/Lightning/Etc. connection.

Surprised there isn't a lot more companies or folks that are just trying to kickstart some custom iPhone cases that plug into that connector and essentially expand the size of the phone a cm or 2 in every direction and adds a handful of extra little buttons and doodads for ease of use.

I sort of said something similar about the first PS Vita, too: Some company should have just made a case that also connected into the proprietary connector on the device and acted as a built-in adapter to just let you charge directly with a Micro USB, instead.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

cisneros posted:

I'm afraid I fell for a "1080p compatible" tv back in the day(it downscaled stuff to 720p while still displaying 1080p in the corner)

I mentioned the low-end projectors a few weeks ago and even those seem to mention 1080p resolutions on the box, but then clarifies it with something like, "**capable of accepting an input source signal of 1080p and converting it to the projector's native resolution of 320x480."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The_Franz posted:

The new ATSC 3.0 standard uses OFDM, but it's not backwards compatible with the current ATSC standard so you're going to need either an external tuner or new display to receive it. ATSC is only about 20 years old, ATSC tuners only became standard equipment a little over a decade ago, the digital transition happened less than 10 years ago and they're already talking about doing it again.

Some of the things about ATSC 3.0 that I see on some website remind me of something else I think was called "AirBox". I only heard of this after the services were apparently shut down, but I seem to recall hearing that it would allow typically pay cable/satellite broadcasts via an OTA signal, I'm assuming by using some sort of internet connection to validate you had 'permission' to decode an encrypted OTA signal or something at that time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I honestly thought these were out of production, but a look on Amazon shows they're still around, but I'm not sure if it's just old stock and/or generic versions of the principle: Wi-Fi SD Cards.

They were a pretty popular thing about maybe 8-10 years ago, I think, mostly for portable devices and what not that still used SD cards, but since so much stuff has moved onto microSD or smartphones having built-in networking/BT/cloud/etc. support I don't think I've seen them around in stores in the last few years.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

Holy poo poo, I was close to buying one of those at one point. I'm glad I didn't because I like to be able to use my stuff forever past the point of obsolescence.

I have some piece of hardware that the app to run it has vanished off the Google Play store. I can't even find it anymore in my history of 'purchased' apps.

There was something a few months about Google doing a purge of a bunch of apps for various reasons (content, malware, security issues, etc.) so I don't know if this was included in that or if the developers pulled it or what.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Paper gift certificates seem to be fully dead. I remember when every business used to have those and now even the most tiny local places have their own actual gift card with some sort of stored balance, instead.

Years ago before that was more normal, though, people were trying to figure out a means of non-paper electronic currency that did the same thing without having to have a phone system to track balances. I think one idea was every gift card would be sold with a massive chain of electronically-destructable circuits, something akin to a 'write-once/read many', or something like that on it. Cards would be sold for a set amount and every time it was used the reader would read the value of the remaining circuits and destroy these points on the card to account for the value.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Years ago I worked at a place to simplify transactions and speed them up (since at the time were were entirely cash-only), they priced everything to be end in .00, .25, .50 or .75 after tax.

So people would get all weirded out by atypical prices, but also be pleased that they always getting only quarters or bills back in change. Every so often we'd end up with people paying in nickles, dimes, even pennies and we'd try to pass those back to customers in change and nope, everyone would just prefer the quarter.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If someone wanted to start a successful, fresh and new thread on failed, aged and old tech over in GBS, I'd be cool with this one getting closed. We've had a good six years, better than the Vita or WiiU, I guess.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If not for having a CVT transmission (can't drive stick), the 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage actually really intrigues me. Really stripped down car and I wished it was MORE stripped down than it was.

It's got a lot of features in this recent model year as standard, but I wish it actually had manual locks, manual windows, a generic basic push-button CD/AM/FM. It almost seems like it's so stripped down that an average person with a repair guide could almost keep it working should something break outside of the engine/transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE
This is the 2015 version, I think.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Aug 15, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Isn't there still a big market for old farming tractors and the like because new ones are extremely expensive and they have all sorts of service contracts and propriety hardware in them that requires authorized folks to set up?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was almost expecting the controversy over the PSClassic was that it was going to turn out to be a PSTV in a new case with a Vita game card containing the 20 games.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Is MHL still around? It seemed like there was a slight blip on the radar of devices that supported it, then it seemingly vanished overnight.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A couple of years ago there was a company I think that was trying to promote tech to label eggs with expiration dates, bar codes, etc printed on each egg. I don't know what the end game would be with that as I don't really know a lot of people who store their eggs outside the original carton.

I suppose stores could start selling eggs individually or something, better track eggs to specific farms or even chickens, or keep people from putting eggs from one carton into another and mixing them up.

edit: I guess this is a thing in some places, already, but I've never seen it around my parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Years ago when the great digital TV switch was still pretty new, there was an attempt at a Smart Antenna that didn't seem to go anywhere. A few antennas and converter boxes (and likely TVs) popped up in the marketplace for a few years, but gradually there were none.

Even today it's hard to find any images or reviews of them or the tech, it seems. The best I've really found have been random eBay listings showing off old converter boxes with the port on them. But from what I can tell is that they had some sort of ethernet/phone-styled plug for connecting to the box/TV rather than using a coaxial cable. Another image seems to show some sort of box as part of the antenna connection, too, so I'm left to assume it would have allowed traditional coaxial hook ups via that and/or been akin to the amplifiers built into other similar antennas.

I think RCA was maybe the driving force behind that which pairs nicely with a strange Original XBox-compatible proprietary cable I think they also tried to make into a thing about 5 years before that.