Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mister Kingdom posted:

For those of you young whipper-snappers who collect old vinyl and notice that double albums are numbered Side 1/3 and 2/4, this is why.
I think you made a slight mistake. They were sides 1/4 on one record and 2/3 on the other, as I remember. Then the flip trick works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ladron posted:

that's kinda cool and kinda stupid. does it come with a younger sibling to change the channels for you?
Pair of needle nose pliers to grab the half-moon stem when the knob breaks off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I remember getting “auto tuned to one channel with no knob” radio keychains at major league baseball giveaway nights. Obviously the AM station that carried the games. Always loved those.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How does that work for online purchases? Are you expected to memorize your card number or something?
Your iPhone, iPad, and/or Mac will know the number.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mystes posted:

The magnet stripe readers where you have to manually insert and remove the card are still super common in 2019 in parking garages and gas stations even though everything is supposed to be using the chip now.
In the US gas stations got an extension for implementing chip readers until 2020.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
[quote="Code Jockey" post=""496395458"]
everything about this image is so perfect I have no idea what to tag myself as. The jorts? the CRT TV hanging off the wall? That carpet?
[/quote]
Obviously you weren’t around in 1980, which is OK. The answer is clearly the knee-high athletic socks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pastry of the Year posted:

when your home computer only had a 3.5" floppy drive but the game you wanted was only available on 5.25" discs :argh: but also :corsair:
The flip side: I remember buying games (Earl Weaver Baseball in particular I remember) that came on 5.25 discs and the package had a coupon you could use if you wanted to buy the “upgrade” to the 3.5 version, which they would mail you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Shibawanko posted:

"CELLULAR TELEPHONE" said in that 1920s radio voice
Now I want my phone to say something like “dialing Klondike 5, one two one two” when I make a phone call.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That post zips me right back to college in the 80s. Every single computer engineering student had a copy of the K&R book.

The cover was blue lettering on a off-white background.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh and the other part of that post, here’s a hat trick of obsolete: logging into a department PDP-11 and typing in your APL programming assignments on one of these bad boys

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo they are 200 dollars.
Anecdote that probably doesn’t help at all: My HP 11C brand new had the outrageously expensive price of $80 when I got it as a birthday present in 1983 before going to college (and the 16C was more expensive). 200 bucks today is actually cheaper, inflation-adjusted.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Paprika is worth spending money on. Excellent app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also “touch screen iPod” had never been done at the time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Code Jockey posted:

so am I, that vga port on the front is perfect
9 pins, that’s a serial port right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Computer viking posted:

(From a Samsung ad, but it shows off what they're trying to do.)
Um, TVs generate heat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Computer viking posted:

60-130W in art mode, apparently depending on how bright the room is.

I'd focus more on "uses power" than "generates heat", but the balance there probably depends on where you live. (And if the heat is a big problem, you probably also use power to get rid of it, so ...)
Yes, power too, but you’re still going to end up with (at best) discolored drywall.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s usually four-hour blocks, but sometimes the same block repeats on the same day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m the same in not caring for “shelf candy” but for a much more boring reason. I hate dusting.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Both a USB and an RS232 port on one device for service seems odd.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Serperoth posted:

I figure you mean in that scene, but a censor watching Blazing Saddles and being so incensed at the farts that they just don't bother with anything else in they film sounds exactly like a Mel Brooks joke
But that didn’t happen, not the “don’t bother with anything else” part.
Broadcast-safe Blazing Saddles is unwatchable, there are so many edits large portions of it make no sense at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which, when I was a kid, WLW was a hugely powerful TV station, on UHF channel 19. I still remember the jingle.
Huh? WLW is an AM radio station in Cincinnati.
Channel 19 in Cincinnati was/is WXIX.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Porfiriato posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty cool clip regardless. Speaking of the Watchman, just look at that thing:

This being the "sports" version now I'm imagining someone going for a run wearing earbuds with that thing strapped to their upper arm like a cellphone (or in earlier times, an iPod).

e: hope you don't poke yourself in the eye with the antenna!
Most of them that I saw Back In The Day were people taking them to pro sports games before things like Jumbotrons were universal. Especially NFL games where people would circle around the screen to see replays.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Line current voltage, huh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You missed Animals, fool.

Haha, charade you are!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
‘Leven crew represent.

Lol I have no idea how to fix this link.

https://imgur.com/a/t4ENI95

IIRC the 11-c was $90 in the early 80s and it was a major, major purchase but I eventually caved and bought one before going to college. Probably literally the most useful purchase I’ve ever made. I dont know how many hundreds of hours I used it.

I do remember I always had subroutine A programmed to solve quadratic equations. Maybe I still do, no idea how static the memory is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But yeah, learn RPN. The parentheses slayer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah that’s exactly it. A stack lets you store intermediate values easily.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah. 30-40 years ago the earphones cost a buck or two.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
To be honest, I can’t think of many real-world examples of “keeping up with the Joneses” items even from three generations ago. Set of China, yes. New car every few years? But that will never go away.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

VC bought it and since they need infinite growth started trying to branch out from the one thing anyone knew instant pot for (a pressure cooker) and burned through all the money, not a small amount of which went back to the VC folk.

It’s a giant grift.
I read the parent company borrowed $450 million in Instapots name for reasons, and made them spend $260 million of it on dividends. :thumbsup:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kazy posted:

The reason you can't buy non-smart TVs because they sell your data to offset the cost of the TV. :ssh:
Except it’s very easy to never hook it up to Wi-Fi.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Your router's instructions?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wayne Knight posted:

Can’t wait for the HGTV greige era to end.
Sure, but don’t hold your breath. There’s still plenty of houses sporting the early 90s oak and brass look.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve never seen any wood that could be reasonably used as flooring which was cheaper than vinyl or concrete tiles.

Related, you do know floorboards need tongue and groove sides to hold them together, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wipfmetz posted:

Why did they need to rotate the antenna on such a regular basis that they've installed walljacks for it?
Because TV antennas are directional and in some locations the networks' transmission towers were at significantly different headings.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also the amp was usually the only component that has any real weight to it. Things like the CD players were downright featherweight.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cojawfee posted:

Does that at least move the needle to the record automatically or do you also have to blindly reach up and get it on the right part?
That whole stack is less than 4’ tall.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I remember the Cellerin 300a in particular being a legend because

A) you could probably find a carton of them for $30 each at a computer show and
B) you had about a 85% chance of successfully overclocking it to 450 by changing one setting on your motherboard.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Forget that, give me a mini gyro meat broiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The US has a line called Rocky Mountaineer which has similar cars.