Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

bbcisdabomb posted:

That looks awful but also like the coolest thing ever

Late 90s/early 00s software design aesthetic in a nutshell. See also: Winamp skins (note that execution on the "coolest thing ever" criteria is extremely variable here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I read that the only remaining use for cash is to put fentanyl on it to kill police officers?

There's also cash guns. Fake money never works right in cash guns.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

I hope one day it'll be ok to just say they were probably a lot like us without the nuisance of people insisting we need definitive proof of that. Nothing will ever add up to that, but we can acknowledge that we have a fair number of indications by now, maybe. They were people.

If you're looking to move the needle on public opinion you have no choice but to film and release a sociologically accurate reboot of Encino Man. I'm sorry it had to come to this.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Rome might as well be yesterday. I'm talking a literal thousand times longer ago than that. Before civilization. Sapiens is us is a given. What keeps me up at night is what about all the other homos?

As a somewhat cheaper alternative to Encino Man you could try popularizing cave painting memes. Specifically crossover with the "just like us fr fr" memes might be able to radicalize a bunch of Zoomers into doing Homo Floriensis (sp?) Fortnite dances and picking the caveman skin in Among Us.

E: lmao this isn't the meme thread, see y'all in 6 hours probably

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Oct 6, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Desert Bus posted:

Modern man needs to be reminded that ancient man was able to consume grinadage wheeze the juice just as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdZOSjexIA

Right but he should also come out the gate with just the dankest goddamn pre-agricultural memes. Like he's in New York and he's just drawing the same weird mammoth on every building he can find and laughing at it, and the adults don't get it but the Zoomers adopt him and elect him to the presidency or something.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I would love a modern encino man where instead of the caveman having to learn the weird mannerism of today's youth, they are instead learning his memes from 40k years ago. The mammoth killed one of his friends in a funny way so painting the mammoth in response to something is saying that the person is taking an L.

Could be great. He thaws in the presence of some anxious preteens hiding in a cave, they're overwhelmed, he's terrified, then one of them does a fortune dance as a maladaptive terror response and he responds with his own weird dance, defusing the situation. They keep visiting him as he builds up his cave, sharing memes and supplies, until eventually one day the paleontology department of the local University stumbles upon the cave.

Confused by the seemingly incredibly well-preserved paleolithic art in the anteroom (which he fails to recognize as Woman Yells At Cat), he enters the cave where the very Homo Not-Quite-Sapien turns on a bluetooth speaker playing Internet music and starts flossing frantically, as is the traditional greeting among his new tribe. The cave is decorated in cave art interpretations of modern memes and posters of various animals, as well as selfies he's taken with his new friends, his various kills, and perhaps some particularly interesting parts of the local town late at night.

Hijinks ensue, most notably the time when, after a particularly vicious fight with a moose (which he downs with stone tools about 30 ft from a horrified park ranger) he rinses off the blood in the antagonist's pool, in direct view of his incredibly fancy dinner party. Can someone crowdfund this already?

OwlFancier posted:

I was trying to think of a joke but couldn't come up with a good one. But in general yes I am also thinking about the other homos.

Come on, buddy. "Wouldn't be the first time all the other homos kept me up at night!".

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted a Steadicam until I met the Steadicam Operators club at my university. They would spend hours on end, every week, running around campus with their rigs for practice. Their video was buttery smooth and they could do obscene things with those huge rigs, but that's more commitment to a single bit than I've ever had.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

I just want a gimbal for my skating and biking footage, or does everyone use action cams with some sort of accelerometer fed digital smoothing for that now?

When I did real estate videos I used a DJI Osmo hand gimbal with a spare cell phone (it needs the phone's accelerometer) to great effect. I'd often start my videos on an electric skateboard (for that smooth front door zoom shot) and the gimbal could handle me stopping it and stepping off without hitching. It made some noise, but that wasn't important to me as I never used the audio.

They don't make it anymore but they make a 2 handed version which.... seems less useful. No way to drive an electric skateboard that way at least. But hand gimbals are good if you're comfortable holding them. We also had a knockoff that worked similarly but I don't know the brand.

E: I should mention that the Osmo app both controls the device and records for you and can do things like track an object or person as well. Not useful for me (I'd set the angle relative to the handle and lock side-to-side movement out) but potentially cool and also good for skating and biking.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Oct 7, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

F4rt5 posted:

That Eurovision dude getting rolled in on a hoverboard, jumping off to a ramp running, sweeping around the artist, must be their ultimate hero

They practiced moving onto/off of moving platforms, climbing stairs, and circling with a religious fervor, so yeah that guy should be Steadicam Jesus for comboing all three.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It's sad when people think Beta players have value, because they look up the prices of maintained and hand-restored units and fail to grok that the price is the labor. An unmaintained and unrestored player is basically novelty value alone. That specific unit says X-2 on the front because it's one of the first long play Beta players (2 hours on one cassette!) and as such has the oldest and least robust heads that do that. It's a pretty piece of art and obviously historical but even restored it's not a particularly good or notable player. It doesn't even have the optional clock!

loving gorgeous though, thanks for posting it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also Beta wasn't higher quality in practice like the myth says. Technology Connections has an exhaustive video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGVVAQVdEOs

In short, normal-speed beta is better than normal speed VHS hands down, but has a much shorter runtime. The first two sizes of tape could hold 60 or 90 minutes at this speed, which is obviously shorter than a lot of commercial films and much shorter than Standard Play VHS. To make up for this, Beta II speed was introduced, which is a half-speed mode that sacrifices quality for runtime. All but the highest end Beta tape stock was indistinguishable from SP VHS at this speed. Beta III was even slower, even lower quality, and had an even longer runtime but it was too little too late. By the time Beta III was introduced, most machines didn't even support Beta I for record or playback. Have a chart.

L-250 was the original tape and L-500 was the second. The numbers refer to linear feet of tape so they would have higher numbers on the package than the VHS tapes that listed their runtime in minutes.

Betacam (the beta used by Hollywood that dumb nerds like to talk about) is a different format in a different form factor and is completely incompatible with consumer Beta devices.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ookiimarukochan posted:

Betacam and Betamax are the same physical size and in a pinch you can use a betamax tape on an (analogue) betacam machine but the way they record video onto that tape is completely different.

You are correct that there is a physical form factor overlap, but the data on the tape is laid out differently and so they are incompatible. Form factor is probably not the right word, but please don't correct my English as I do not respect this language :h:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
How hard would it be to put a small rechargeable battery in there so you don't have to crank the whole time? I'm assuming you could grab a li-on with a charging circuit with the right voltage and wire it in, yeah?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Bold of you to believe sweeping occurs regularly under that stand.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

my turn in the barrel posted:

My house also seems to act like a faraday cage and blocks TV/radio once you are inside. Being built in 1965 with a then trendy flat roof it's probably a combination of lead sheeting on the roof, lead paint and possibly metal mesh in the walls and probably lead in the window glass.

In case you ever want to fix this, my current house had similar problems (built in 53 with a major reno in the 60s) all our walls were plaster with metal lath and phone calls would drop if you walked around the house. There was a leak and we ended up replacing all the plaster and lath in one room and it fixed the problem for the whole house. Wifi still sucks though.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Weatherman posted:

Wow that brings back forum memories. Someone had that as redtext but it was I DROVE INTO A DAYCARE AND.

dietcokefiend. Still has it, too, but hasn't posted in half a decade.

dietcokefiend posted:

Its the Christmas Star leading Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at least in the US, insurance companies have gotten so good at dodging claims that many contractors now have their own insurance negotiators to get your insurance to pay out. This is not a cottage industry, to be clear, and is not even slightly the exclusive domain of scammers as some would have you believe. This is just how it works now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I listened to this person read a book for multiple minutes and I still haven't gotten an answer to my question:

Why couldn't computer towers in 1998 be all kinds of colors? Why not a mint green, or a pale jade? Why not orange? Why not a deep blue? Was it a technological problem somehow?

You clearly didn't listen because the answer is Germany and, shortly thereafter, Europe. They regulated the color of computer equipment for offices. Any computer that wasn't gray or beige couldn't be used as an office computer or something, they're less clear on the consequences.

But yes, if you made a pale jade computer you'd be cutting yourself out of the lucrative German office market, losing out on potentially tens of sales. Computermakers are capitalists, so this was not done.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

But it has to has to cost very little money to make a small rectangular metal box pale jade, yes? And then you could conceivably make it hundreds of dollars more than its beige and white counterparts?

Congratulations you figured out the thing Apple figured out. Now if you had acted on it 20 years ago you could be one of the world's largest cell phone manufacturers for some reason.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

It's a question of if you prefer Thunderbolt or Lightning.

e; gently caress, wrong aircraft!

Very very frightening.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

I just saw a huge billboard today with Snoop Dogg advertising Sketchers with a Bored Ape on it.

I'm sorry for doubting you.

It's called "Snoop Dogg: Uno - Dr. Bombay"

E: oh my gently caress why are there multiple?

God is dead and Snoop x Sketchers x Dr. Bombay killed Him

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

dobbymoodge posted:

Sorry about your Mom's pants

gently caress you those are incredible.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nocheez posted:

Another Tax memory! He pulled a report showing what browsers were being used in like 2003 or 4. Then he banned the only person using WebTV because "wtf"

It was mean, but oh did I find it funny at the time.

This also happened to the user browsing via the Dreamcast browser. And we are all lesser for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

titties posted:

It really sucked. I wish i still had it.

PYF Obsolete and Failed Technology: It really sucked. I wish i still had it.