Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Woolie Wool posted:

The worst I've seen was a Lee Scratch Perry album that was on two discs because they were 12" 45s :psyduck:

since 45 rpm discs have wider groove spacing, an argument is made that a 12in 45rpm record can have greater dynamic range or loudness, which benefits certain types of recordings more than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I once tried to wrangle together a myth.tv setup, so I was a real horse in the swamp when it came to using any sort of smart tv or streaming box when a computer was perfectly fine. This came to a head when I set up a second television set in the house and found trying to keep a kodi database in sync between two installs just isn't worth the effort, as well as the new wrinkles 4K media caused with HDR/dolby vision. I set up a plex server, and tried a bunch of things before settling on a 2022 apple tv, which is the only streaming box that plex can direct play any file I throw at it.

Once I finally set all that up my life became so much easier than having to babysit kodi all the time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Not all routers/switches support vlans, and the concept of how vlans work can be confusing to people who aren’t super familiar with how IP traffic works, so that’s why it probably isn’t more widely used.

Even in a household where we have a big ol’ server running pfsense we don’t bother with vlans for smart tech because the setup and maintenance are too much of a bother.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Msx2 machines are the way to go if you want one msx to do it all but if you’re into collecting weird neat things you’ll end up with a few over time because there is so much variation in design and capabilities.

For my money the Sony hitbit msx2 with built in floppy can’t be beat.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I've personally always felt Fisher was a budget brand with ugly design. There are of course stand out Fisher products but I wouldn't pay $200 for a Fisher Component system. If everything works and you low ball them to $100 it might be worth it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Except Blu-ray.

*Cries in HDDVD*

HDDVD was just bad, sorry.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I'm still in the "I like physical media" camp despite having a plex server with over 20tb of content on it. The bitrate on most streaming sites is garbage and has tons of banding and other artifacts, and the vast majority of people just don't care, so it'll never improve. Physical media of course still has boneheaded decisions made for it (The Kamen Rider blurays coming to US using broadcast masters at 1080i and having to deinterlace them as opposed to the digital masters the japanese burays get), and the real concern these days is the lack of players being made (I would pay several hundred dollars for a UHD player that also functions as a android TV device ((That is at least as powerful as the nvidia shield pro))). But if I really like a movie or show, I'm going to want the physical release.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, people were saying the same thing 10 years ago (including me). There definitely is a niche market for boutique physical releases. The business model might end up more like records in that you're constantly hunting down limited releases and praying against scalpers, but for fans of physical ephemera don't seem to mind that too much.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Would it kill Microsoft or Google to just stick to one line of products keeping the same names and functionality and improve upon them iteratively?

literally yes

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

evobatman posted:

foobar is like the carburated car, mechanical watch, cooking with cast iron, shaving with a straight razor mp3 flac player

fixed

Foobar really is the successor to winamp, in terms of customization and expandability compared to other audio players (And in terms of a former nullsoft employee creating it). It's a great piece of software, one I've used for decades at this point. The problem is it lost a lot of the fun and ease winamp offered. Skins are dead simple to make for winamp, but to make foobar look good you're going to have to get your hands dirty with coding.

Foobar is also going through its Winamp 3.0 phase right now with Foobar 2.0 x64, in that many of the classic plugins developed for the older version of foobar haven't been maintained in years and are incompatible with the new version. The community is still very active though, and many of the holes left in the transition are being slowly filled.

Most people don't need 90% of the features offered in foobar though, and in the last few years even I've been drifting towards other players. Plexamp on desktop and mobile is great for spotifying your music collection. Musikcube is a fun command line player that pairs well with a quake style console shell. Last year I sold my pride and joy 70s amplifier and bought a modern NAD Class D amp that uses BluOS as a means of interfacing with it on a mobile device and cuing music up. Foobar has been back benched to take care of tag editing and playing mod files and occasionally to spit out music over my s/pdif cable plugged into my minidisc recorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I've never been able to enjoy shuffle on music players because my general eclectic tastes over the years causes most shuffle algorithms to produce awful playlists. Something like going from a female fronted modern pop single to a late 90s death metal track to the middle of a grateful dead concert to a dubstep bemani song into an hour long experimental electroacoustic track followed by dragonforce.

If I could I would pay a human DJ to go through my collection and create custom playlists.