Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still have my OG Droid because it feels like it's some futuristic cyberpunk hacking deck. All it needs is a cool, telescoping antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wa27 posted:

Here's my current phone, which I got in 2010. Battery still lasts a week with light usage. It's mostly functional except people sending emojis will corrupt the whole text message and make it unreadable. Also one hinge broke last month so it's a little floppy.

Work provides me with a smartphone so a flip-phone is all I need for my personal line. Unfortunately Verizon is shutting down CDMA at the end of the year so I'll have to get something else (any suggestions?)

You're my dad when he had to lose his startac when Verizon shut down their analog network.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Another old-rear end phone thing. My uncle was an orchardist and farmer and they lived 20 miles from our small town

This is the early 1970s but they had one of these for their phone

And it was on a party line so everyone could :ninja: and listen to their neighbor’s phone calls

When my dad was a kid, they had a party line and his family's number was two shorts and a long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gasoline posted:

If he's never used an SSD before he'll never notice.

Yes, but an SSD allows him to throw it around and not care about the drive head crashing and him losing all his stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

T-man posted:

Just get e'm one of these

https://usb.brando.com/10-x-micro-sd-to-sata-ssd-adapter-raid-quad-2-5-sata-converter_p13939c46d15.html

(Legit amazed I'd never seen a cheap one of these used in budget computers)

Because those SD cards would be dead in a matter of months.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I am running Tomato on my router simply because I've been using the same router for the past 6 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's some obsolete technology for you. I've been building an 8 bit computer out of TTL chips.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

Are you that chap who did a big YouTube series on how he built it, or are you doing a follow-along of that yourself?

Nah, I just bought his kit and have been following along. It was expensive, but I'm using what I learned last semester in college so I can pretend I'm bettering myself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

Those generational leaps in video were the things that amazed me the most.

I remember we got Prince of Persia and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego Deluxe Edition, but we had a really old system with Hercules graphics so Prince of Persia was playable but black and white dithered, and Carmen Sandiego just wouldn't run. Then a few months later we finally got a new 386 (only SX I guess) system with VGA and suddenly we've gone from black and white to 256 colors in Prince of Persia, and Carmen Sandiego Deluxe was in the high resolution VGA mode of 640x480x16 so that was amazing in a different way. Even just being able to run DOS tools in color was a great novelty (I think text modes under Hercules had 4 shades of grey rather than just black and white) even though I'd seen it before a little on borrowed PCs.

Then a few years later downloading the shareware versions of Wolfenstein 3-D and DOOM from BBSes and seeing that VGA put to much better use was great.

In order to get Lego Island to run, I had to end almost every task running on the computer. So getting ready to play it consisted of making sure I carefully closed everything running except for explorer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

What's your feeling on the overall quality of the kit? Worth the price, or would you just buy the parts and follow the videos if you were doing it over again?

The kit ships straight from Jameco, and I assume they assemble it for him. I guess you could just buy all the parts yourself but I figure it would be about the same price. I like that the kit was split up into the different modules so I don't have to look through a bunch of different ttl chips to find the one I need. And the included booklets have all the pinouts in one place and are easy to read so I'm not looking for datasheets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I never really had any awe in respect to computers. I've been around them for most of my life and they just got better and better over time that I was never really surprised.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

insta posted:

On a similar vein, I have a shitload of Raptor hard drives that are yours for the price of shipping.

It's like having a coffee maker in your computer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Adobe Type Manager

Yeah, but wouldn't it have been fuckin sick if you could dial up to your bank and print out real money from your account.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched that earlier and that's American as gently caress to do. The tape is a different size, the holes are in different places, and the tape heads are put in upside down. Once someone buys the Sears tape player, they can only use Sears tapes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Or the tale of the baby toy for grown cubicle dwellers, the Fidget Cube:
https://medium.com/@jobosapien/real-vs-fake-the-infamous-case-of-the-quickly-copied-fidget-cube-9b26a6161b36

e: welp that's a bad example of what the poster above was demonstrating. Still amusing. My main fidget toy is a knockoff Rubik's Cube, which have had knockoff copies made since the 1980's. They sell really bad ones at dollar stores.

The Rubiks Cube is an example of the knockoffs being better quality. The official cubes are stiff and terrible to turn. There are plenty of Chinese brands that are so good that they are used by the world record holders.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ynohtna posted:

You've all met magic granddad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ViURLA13iU

I love that you watch this guy's videos and you can only tell when it was made by if it is in HD or not or by the date it was posted. He's been making the same style videos for years. My only complain is that he rushes through the things too much. Like he has to leave soon and just wants to quickly show off some trinkets he has.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
According to the youtube comments, The guy said somewhere else that it really is just a toy and he bought it from a normal toy shop. Maybe a sex toy company decided to branch out into weird real toys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That controller seems like it could be really cool if made properly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still don't get why people have such an aversion to AA batteries. You buy a pack of eneloops from Amazon (or any rechargable brand) and a decent battery charger and you're set for years. My xbone controller dies, throw in some new batteries and I'm good to go. My switch controller dies and I have to physically move to where I can plug a USB cable in to charge it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

It swelled the whole frame of the lynx...i tossed it :(

I actually went through 3 lynxes in total in my career...had the OG long lynx and the charge port broke, i was able to send it in to atari and they gave me a brand new short lynx...but they hosed up and sent 2! So i took one apart when I was a kid, that was fun.

You threw it away over swollen batteries? Have you ever heard of a screw driver?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They once had a tax on paper. The stuff you can make by smashing wood pulp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why would anyone compare planet Earth to King of Queens for any reason?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Lynx chat: I used to have a long and a short Lynx, and I'm still pissed at myself that I forgot to pack them when I moved. I got to the point where I was tired of loading my car and frustrated and just said gently caress it and started my 3 day drive to the east coast :cry:

Like you abandoned all your stuff? What is with owning a Lynx and just having no regard for your own property?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will always love my Zen Micro photo. It was cool as poo poo to have that color OLED screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I remember when I was working at a computer store in 2007 or 2008 and some lady brought in a dual Pentium 3 computer with SCSI that she was using as a server. Like wtf.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

you did not just step to Escape to the Country you absolute loving fool it blows the American comparables like House Hunters out of the water

Eh, there's some real gold in the American house finding shows. Like when the host finds literally everything the person wants in a house, but one of the walls was the wrong color so they will stick with their lovely house.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

boar guy posted:

those shows are all 100% fake

Obviously, but they are fun to watch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You just need something in there besides smooth glass to act as a nucleation site for bubbles to form.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

idk my dad's got a lil 2010 Ford Ranger with no options but A/C (handle crank windows, AM/FM stereo without tape or aux) and it runs great- but with the barebones amenities it's like driving an 80s truck with more grey plastic inside

that said I'm way more likely to go Korean or Japanese when used car shopping

My dad bought a Nissan Frontier a couple years ago and it's a wonderland of featureless plastic panels that could have been some button or knob but aren't because he got the least amount of options possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love luxury tech because all of it is "We assume you are rich enough to buy a new one before this breaks"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably because, by the time they are sold, they need so much expensive poo poo fixed that it's not worth it. Top of the line cars like the 7 series and S class never hold value because all that new crazy poo poo is new and crazy and breaks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's probably catastrophic since even simple stuff goes terribly wrong. On some years of 7 series, the seat controls would sometimes just get reversed for some reason. Up makes the seat go down, forward makes it go back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Young auto mechanics are easily convinced by the guy in an Aladdin's Truck fully of 'Tools that a professional needs, are you a real professional? Here's a payment plan'. Older/wiser mechanics, less so.

Of course, the Snapon truck itself is obsolete technology: part of the appeal was that you could have access to any tool you need, at your premises, the next time the truck came round - which could be as often as once a week.
Bang! Amazon next day delivery of whatever you want at a fraction of the price.

Yeah but Amazon doesn't give you a cool lanyard or a bottle opener.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

whoops, lost my post

it was basically me being jealous of people getting fancy multimeters from work in the electronics megathread.

What thread is this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Best thing I saw in regards to the old Snapon truck coming onto our mine site was the random drug testing truck rolling in behind him and not only catching a few from my crew and calling police, but Mr Snapon got rounded up too.

How? Why would the snapon guy be drug tested by a truck at a mine site? Did snapon and the mine go halfsies on testing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There were probably supposed to be two buckets, one for refurbs and one for broken, but someone took one of the buckets and forgot to bring it back and then it was just one bucket for both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't drink coffee

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can you imagine how much noise that guy makes when he walks? Probably sounds like a busted rock tumbler. And are those bullets in his belt bandoleer?

10Base2 terminators

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Discord is IRC but what if it was actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Imgur is still pretty decent but the combination of spawning a community as well as sometimes turning an uploaded image into a post causes the users there to be confused why someone uploaded a random picture with not context, when the context is on whatever reddit post it was uploaded for.