Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Groda posted:

When I first moved to Sweden, our dormitory had this model in the hallway with its dial deactivated, so the people could receive calls to a POTS line (which cost a lot less to call from abroad than a cell). The foreign students used it a lot.

It was also constantly getting called up by creepy guys who'd gotten its number at bars from some girl on my floor who couldn't be arsed to just make up a number.
The dial was physically disabled? If it was pulse couldn't you just manually toggle the switch hook to dial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phanatic posted:

iOS is based on NeXTSTEP as well. Even if NeXT had never produced a single gram of hardware Apple got their money's worth out of that purchase and more.
Almost as much as Android got out of its purchase of the linux kernel for $0.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eminkey2003 posted:

My friend had a Juke.

He also had a Zune, so
This reminds me: The next to last (I think?) dumbphone I had was this microscopic candybar phone that I bought in 2007 (not my picture):

It was $20 as a prepaid phone from at&t so I could use it with my normal postpaid at&t account without extending my contract.

It was great except that it turned out the buttons were too small for my fingers and I just couldn't enter phone numbers correctly on it to save my life.

I ended up having to replace it with another dirt cheap prepaid phone that was a normal flipphone or something (and then I got an iphone in 2010).

It was cool how tiny and light (75 grams compared to 163 for my current smartphone) it was, though, and I guess it was ahead of its time in terms of being a phone that's impossible to actually use for phone calls.

mystes has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Aug 5, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

OpenWRT is good. The gui is easy to use for simple stuff and it also makes it reasonable straightforward to do more complicated routing stuff that's hard or impossible in other alternative router firmwares. I'd generally rate it pretty close to Ubiquiti's software.