Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cargo Culture
Jul 29, 2011

Warning! I am a die-hard Firefly fan, a man-child crybaby with a poorly-rooted decade-long persecution complex.

FOX PLS LET FIREFLY SOAR AGAIN!!!!!!

P.S. ily Joss <3
User Name - Cargo Culture
Contact Info - Forum PM is fine.
City/State/Country - Providence, RI
Do you have a group now (if so, how many do you have/do you need)? Yes (4 players plus me). Looking for 1 or 2 more.
What are you willing to play (or if you are looking for players for a campaign, what are you playing)? Looking for additional players for a new TORG campaign. Newbies welcome.
Special Notes -*deep breath*
We're all pretty easy-going folks, and aren't mouthbreathing neckbeards. We're all adults with jobs and mortgages and that sort of thing.

Now, the obligatory provisos that make me sound like a douchebag:
    * Please no Creepy Gamer of the Year candidates. If you are clean, sober, have a good grasp of hygiene and can carry on normal social interactions without coming off as sketchy or skeevy, then we'd love to have you.
    * Please no 4chan refugees if at all possible, but we could probably make an exception if you're nice enough. Redditors are fine and welcome, as are goons.
    * No smokers, sorry.
    * Please no Captain Know-It-Alls. We're all pretty good at detecting bullshit and waving your figurative dick around and pretending you're hot poo poo will just mean you won't get invited back. There's no need to impress anyone.
    * No grognards who want to piss on [insert game here], or who think [insert game here] is the best ever and no game could possibly be better. You know who you are. I tend to like all games and there's a good chance you'd be pissing on one of the ones I enjoy. Edition warriors can die in a fire.

Now, for the things that make us seem like totally awesome dudes:

* We've been around the block, gaming-wise, but we still like to have fun. We're not a bunch of guys who are set in stone with how and what they like to play.
    * We're social people. We all have activities and stuff outside regular gaming sessions, and we're not afraid of meeting new people.
    * We're not like Francis. We're almost the anti-Francis*.
    * We don't hate games. There are some games some of us don't like, but we don't hate them. I personally like all sorts of things, so your favorite game isn't going to be the subject of ridicule.
    * I have beer.

The aim is to have players that want to have fun, can joke around a bit, but want to actually play rather than sit around and discuss the latest episode of [insert show here]. If you're a player who likes to get engaged with the story and is proactive about stuff, that's awesome and we'd love to have you. That said, no spotlight hogs or drama llamas, please. If you're looking for a hardcore number-crunching grognard session, this likely isn't for you. I guess what I'm saying is that we're shooting for a nice, casual balance of play and banter.

* Yes, I know Francis is a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cargo Culture
Jul 29, 2011

Warning! I am a die-hard Firefly fan, a man-child crybaby with a poorly-rooted decade-long persecution complex.

P.S. ily Joss <3
User name: Cargo Culture
Contact info: Forum PM is fine
City/State: Falmouth, MA (western Cape Cod)
Do you have a group now? Yes, but looking for 2-3 more.
What are you playing? 13th Age (a D&D 3.x/4e variant by Pelgrane Press)

[standard boilerplate follows]

I'm looking for additional players for a just-starting long term weekly 13th Age campaign in Falmouth, MA. It's currently Thursdays 7-10:30pm, but the day may move if it means getting more folks. (Check out an excellent review of 13th Age here. It's fundamentally a rules-light 3.x; it takes all the good bits of 3.x, all the good bits of 4th, and some really fun story game elements and smooshes them all together. Folks of all edition loyalties seem to like it.) We have a great core of guys right now but really would love to have more at the table.

This post will be light on campaign details because a lot of the world-building will be collaborative, which means I need you, Prospective Player, in a chair at my house before we can figure all that stuff out.

The goal is to have a great group of players that want to have fun, can joke around a bit, but want to actually play rather than sit around and discuss the latest episode of [insert show here]. If you're a player who likes to get engaged with the story and is proactive about stuff, that's awesome and I'd love to have you.

If you're looking for a hardcore number-crunching grognard session, this likely isn't for you, especially since 13th Age is light on the rolling and heavy on the role-ing (is that even a word?). I guess what I'm saying is that I'm shooting for a nice, casual balance of play and banter.

So, what kind of folks am I looking for? That's tough. Everything past this point might make me sound like a self-important jerk. I've been playing RPGs for about 25 years and finding compatible gamers via the Internet is one of the toughest things to do with the hobby. This means I have some criteria which saves everybody unnecessary anguish. Each one of these has a story I'd like not to go through again. (Also, fair warning: I will read all of your comments and Google the poo poo out of you before we ever get together. If you don't get a reply from me, nothing personal -- there's something about you that I feel won't be compatible with me, my family, or my gaming style.)

Here's who I'm not looking for...

• Please no Creepy Gamer of the Year candidates. If you are clean, sober, have a good grasp of hygiene and can carry on normal social interactions without coming off as sketchy or skeevy, then I'd love to have you at the table.
  • If you have a weird (compared to gaming) hobby or whatever, that's fine, but if it will likely be a disruption then I'd rather skip you. (I've had people show up in fursuits before. This is not constructive.)
  • Please no 4chan refugees if at all possible, but we could probably make an exception if you're nice enough. SA goons are fine, of course.
  • No smokers, sorry. I know you could just smoke outside, but that stuff carries inside and I have an infant son to think of.
  • No politics if it means being disruptive. I'm personally very political, but I respect others enough that I don't bring it up unless I know I'm in like company. I don't want tension at my table over real-world politics.
  • No spotlight hogs or drama llamas. Share the table. It's gaming, not Julliard. I expect people to roleplay, not shoot for an Oscar.
  • Please no Captain Know-It-Alls. I'm pretty good at detecting bullshit and waving your figurative dick around and pretending you're hot poo poo will just mean you won't get invited back. There's no need to impress anyone.
  • No grognards who want to hate on [insert game here], or who think [insert game here] is the best ever and no game could possibly be better. You know who you are. I tend to like all games and there's a good chance you'd be pissing on one of the ones I enjoy. Edition warring is poison for the hobby and edition warriors can die in a fire.
  • Please no anti-jock types. I'm not exactly Mr Universe, but I like to watch and discuss sports if the topic comes up. (I know, gently caress me, right?) It's okay if you don't care about this sort of stuff, but if you build your identity around ripping on sports or people that like them, well, it will be a short stay for you.

Still reading? Hooray! You don't think I'm an rear end! (Or do and are just wondering how much more of an rear end I can look like.)

Now, for the things that make me seem like a totally awesome dude and your new favorite DM:

• I'm a functioning member of society. I bathe, have a job, a family, have adult responsibilities, and don't live in my mother's basement. I'm not some mouthbreathing neckbeard who has no social life other than hanging out in gaming stores.
  • I've been around the block, gaming-wise, but I still like to run games that are fun. I'm not a guy who's opinions about gaming are set in stone. I like to hear about how others like to play and enjoy games.
  • I'm social. I have stuff outside regular gaming sessions, and I'm not afraid of meeting new people. I like to game with people who I'd ideally like to hang out with outside of gaming.
  • I'm not like Francis. I'm almost the anti-Francis.
  • I don't hate games. There are some games I don't like, but I don't hate them. I personally like all sorts of things, so your favorite game isn't going to be the subject of ridicule.
  • I have zero issues with having complete newbies at the table. I love teaching people the hobby and having someone with zero gaming experience at the table is not only not a problem, it's fun and refreshing.
  • I have beer (and a grill in the summer).

That's about it.

Cargo Culture fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 24, 2013

Cargo Culture
Jul 29, 2011

P.S. ily Joss <3
EDIT: moved elsewhere

Cargo Culture fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 18, 2013

Cargo Culture
Jul 29, 2011

P.S. ily Joss <3
User Name - Cargo Culture (no, really)
Contact Info - PM.
City/State/Country - Currently meeting in East Wareham, MA
Do you have a group now? - Yes. Looking for one or two more people.
What are you willing to play? - Looking to get one or two more folks to play in a bi-weekly PENDRAGON campaign (Tuesdays , 6:30pm-10:30pm). We've just started the Great Pendragon Campaign (aka let's play through 80+ years of Arthurian awesomeness) so now is the perfect time for folks to jump in. It's okay if you've never played Pendragon before. All you need are a d20, a bunch of d6s, knightly spirit and a desire to kill as many loving Saxons as possible.

Cargo Culture
Jul 29, 2011

P.S. ily Joss <3
*sigh*

Here we go again.

User Name - Cargo Culture
Contact Info - PM.
City/State/Country - Currently meeting in Bourne/East Wareham, MA
Do you have a group now? - Yes. Looking for one or two more people.
What are you willing to play? - Looking to get one or two more folks to play in a bi-weekly WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY campaign (Tuesdays, 6:30pm-10:30pm). I'm also running Delta Green in the weeks opposite (same day/time) but that's bursting at the seams as it is. If you're totally rad and want to play that too then we'll figure something out.

Our current gaming group got too big for practical gaming, and then it went all Donetsk People's Republic and is completely hosed up right now; basically split into two groups playing in the same timeslot. We (the cool group) are looking for one or two more people to fill out ranks in one of the games that plays in this timeslot and to generally get together for coolness. New friends, yay.

What is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (as if you didn't already know)? Well, it's the RPG set in the same universe as Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battles wargame.

It's dark fantasy, but it's not like D&D. It's almost the anti-D&D. D&D is where adventurers become heroes. WFRP is where nobodies become adventurers. It's bleak, but in a darkly humorous way. Things are dirty and grim and in all ways messy, and you can't help but love it. It's sort of like Lord of the Rings, but directed by Terry Gilliam and scored by Danny Elfman, and you all play barflies in the Inn of the Prancing Pony. It's like that.

Here's a little primer.

And here's a blurb!

This is going to be a relatively open story to be set at the edge of the Empire in the counties of Averland, Stirland, and Sylvania, as well as the rough-and-tumble Border Princes (and points in between). It'll have all the classic elements of Border Princes-style Balkanized rivalry and the strange mish-mash of the setting that it is; the secretive Vampire Counts and their servants as the hidden antagonists (or allies?); a foray or two into the abandoned and forsaken city of Mordheim (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-style); drinking with Dwarfs in their mighty holds; battling the loathsome Skaven; and perhaps investigating a Nehekharan ruin or two (The Mummy-style).

At the moment I have two committed players and one more solid maybe. If I can lock in one or two more people who can commit every two weeks rain or shine, that would be awesome.

Cargo Culture fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 10, 2014