Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
How does this forum generally handle getting critiques on work they are hoping to submit later for possible publication? Some magazines only want unpublished work and consider a forum posting "being published." I have a flash fiction story I want to submit to a literary magazine, and I could really use some outside feedback first but don't want to decrease my chances of getting the work accepted.

I was also wondering if getting a copy of Writer's Market is worth it. I was planning to buy a copy but checked out the reviews first and quite a few people had complaints about the formatting of the book and how up-to-date some of the information was. Would I be better off signing up for the online version? I'm interested in several of the articles in the current edition, but maybe I can find the same information from online sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Symptomless Coma posted:

500w / Borgesian thought experiment seriously not trying to be a dick but I don't know what else to call it / a comp for under-500w fiction, and a mag here in London called Cadaverine, but I really don't think that's what they're looking for.

But hey, you're welcome to have a look!

I'd really like to read a longer story set in this universe. Have you thought about writing anything else like it?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Nika posted:

I started looking through that on Amazon and actually found it to be helpful enough to get for my Kindle. I've often had a lot of problems describing body language for certain emotions and it seems to have some interesting things covered like jealousy, impatience, shyness and such.

Speaking of which, does anyone have other go-to recommendations for good books on writing? I read through the OP and didn't see anything except some links to blogs and such, and what I think I'm looking for is just an overall guide to writing better and easier to understand prose, or even helping me to become a better editor. I'm really struggling right now to get through my first "real" book and I feel like a few pointers would go a long way towards straightening me out. I'm sure it's a common complaint, but I keep stopping and looking at what I've written, seeing how bad it is, and going back to edit and clean it up. And while I'm sure that helps a little, it also keeps me from moving forward with any real momentum. I'd like to write first drafts that are a bit less shite, in other words, so I'm not so distracted by them that I can't continue until they're "perfect."

Hopefully that makes sense. Writing is loving hard. :(

A first draft is always going to be crap. That's what it's there for. It's a draft, a practice, a space to stretch your words and get your hooks into what you're trying to say. You shouldn't try to edit it as you go or worry about writing drafts that are "perfect." If you do that, you'll likely never finish anything. Just complete your draft, as terrible as you think it may be, and then go back and clean it up.

I understand your pain, though. I've had the same problem. There are actually writing apps for this issue that won't let you go back and edit. I think Write or Die does that and the online word processor "Draft" has what it calls "Hemingway Mode" that does the same thing.

• Locked thread