Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
For the opening of my story, the two main characters are separate and don't even know the other one exists. They're going to meet before the end of the first chapter. What I'm trying to do is give a couple paragraphs for one and a couple paragraphs for the other until they quite literally run into each other, dovetailing their individual plot threads into one. At that point I will probably do much longer sections before transitioning between them.

Here's my question: Is that a stupid idea from a readability (or even accepted-by-publisher) standpoint? I know it makes sense to me, but does that sound too jarring for you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

lots of people posted:

good advice

Thanks. I've thought about it for a few days and decided that I'm going to try following one guy until they meet, make it obvious that I'm going back in time a little and switching viewpoints, and then follow guy #2 until they meet. And if that doesn't work, I'm just going to follow one guy and have the second one use his own words to describe to his shipmates what happened earlier.

I'm going to do third person limited and switch between the two main characters at chapter breaks. Or at a good transition point during (at one point they split up with one staying aboard their ship and the other heading inside the enemy ship to try and blow up the magazine).

• Locked thread