Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Does anyone have recommendations for a book (or something online, or whatever) that has pointers for getting the most out of reading fiction, from the perspective of someone looking to learn to become a better writer themselves? Basically, tips on what makes good stories/characters/etc work and what makes others fail. It's something I do a bit of on my own in a journal, but it's far from comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squeegee posted:

It's a funny book and a quick read, but if you've been writing for any real amount of time, a lot of the problems it warns against are pretty drat obvious and probably ones you're aware of already. It is entertaining, though.

I bought it a year or two ago (perhaps based on a recommendation in the old thread?) and that was my take-away as well. Quite enjoyed it, although most of it was pretty obvious.

budgieinspector posted:

Something I'm curious about : How many folks here regularly use their local libraries?

I recall hearing something about David Cameron's government trying to close libraries across the UK, and we've got a bunch of international goons posting here, so I guess I'd like to know if you guys visit your local public or university libraries, how you'd rate them, whether they're in danger of being shut down by your respective governments, etc.

My local public library (and librarian) played a huge role in developing my love of reading at an early age. I'm deeply indebted to both.

When I was in college, I used both my university library and the local library. Between the two of them (inter-library loan at the latter) there was very little I couldn't find. My local library system was particularly good for audiobooks on CD, which I used to listen a lot at my old job (used to get through The Economist audio edition and most of a book per week). The university one had a pretty poor selection of audiobooks, but a ton of good specialized non-fiction (as you would expect) that complimented the public library's selection nicely, as well as shelves of great photography books that I used to like looking at on my lunch break (worked on campus).

I moved to Japan last year, and my old library situation is one of the things I miss most (first world problems, heh). I assume the library in my city probably has some English-language books, but if it's like my old university library in Thailand, just limited to the classics. Also, they aren't air conditioning them in the summer due to an electricity conservation push by the government, which makes them pretty miserable places to spend any amount of time in.

I've started using the electronic resources from my home public library; actually, this week I downloaded and am reading the Card book on characterization mentioned above through them. For the most part though, I'm getting the books I want to read through Amazon in America (Japanese Amazon has a surprisingly good selection of English books, but they're usually 60-100% more expensive). Not so interested in the mp3 audiobooks from the library as I don't have as much time to listen to them at work as I used to.

• Locked thread