Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I had a couple of my short stories published by small online magazines last month. Got paid even. ($5 for one, ~$80 for the other.) Would it be inappropriate of me to link to them in case anyone wants to read them?

One of them is a cyberpunk-influenced story about the CEO of a company being hunted by assassin priests post-World War 3.

The other is a little piece of dark historical fiction about a girl and her unusual lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
Here they are. Any feedback is appreciated.

Gary the Llama posted:

The other is a little piece of dark historical fiction about a girl and her unusual lover.

A House Divided

Gary the Llama posted:

One of them is a cyberpunk-influenced story about the CEO of a company being hunted by assassin priests post-World War 3.

The Devil's Hat

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Read them. You have some serious chops.

Of the two the first is my favourite, perhaps because your cool, detached tone fits your narrator best. However the core of the story eluded me a little. Maybe because that dry precision didn't mesh with a confession of a crime of passion?

The cyberpunk yarn was also solid. But the darknet/reality crossover confused me, as did the plot. He was trying to escape the net, but loads of homeless people already had, so he needed mushrooms because...? Also the characters felt a little too detached, too cool. I know it's part of the genre convention but based on these two I think you could afford to write with a little more passion.

Definitely good stuff though, and congrats on the publication! You should come over to the Thunderdome and throw down, it's p much the best thing when it comes to cranking out prose to weird prompts and talking trash.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely more pleased with the first story as well.

I agree with all of your points about the cyberpunk story. As to your confusion with the story, I'll try to elaborate. He didn't *want* to escape the darknet but had to because he was being hunted through it. His idea was to use the drugs to scramble his brain enough that they couldn't find him (your brain is wired into the net at birth and removing the connection is always a last resort as it may kill you). He thought that a natural drug may be enough to scramble his brain (and thus, their ability to kill him since killings are done via the darknet) without having to undergo a risky surgery. Besides, like I said, nobody really wants to be cut off. They're all addicted to suckling at the tit of technology. (Just like us, har har.) In the end, of course, the priestess ended up taking matters into her own hands as a form of revenge. (It's probably not clear in the story, but Orelli is pretty much responsible for World War 3. This will be explored further in other stories.)

I really like the world I created for the story, but I'm not super happy with how the story turned out. I plan to write a few more stories in this universe as I think it's an interesting one.

Thanks so much for reading them though. I really appreciate your feedback and plan on really focusing on tightening up my writing and plots. :)

Edit: Also, I'd love some examples of my detached writing style from either story. I know it's a problem I have but I have such a difficult spotting it in editing. I think some of my other work is better, probably because the plots are much less... Epic?

Edit 2x: This little author Q&A should also shine some light into the back story of The Devil's Hat: http://interstellarfiction.com/nonfiction/contributor-qa/qa-with-gary-b-phillips/

Gary the Llama fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 23, 2012

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
Bragging time: I sold my first short story of 2013 yesterday. This marks my fifth short story sale so far and it's my first pro-rate (five cents a word or more, more in this case) sale. I haven't signed the contract yet so I don't want to mention the market but it is a very well known sci-fi/fantasy market. I'll post more details once the contract is signed.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

Gary the Llama posted:

Bragging time: I sold my first short story of 2013 yesterday. This marks my fifth short story sale so far and it's my first pro-rate (five cents a word or more, more in this case) sale. I haven't signed the contract yet so I don't want to mention the market but it is a very well known sci-fi/fantasy market. I'll post more details once the contract is signed.

Now that the contract is signed I think I can safely announce that I sold the story to Daily Science Fiction. I'm pretty excited since I've been reading and enjoying their stories for so long. (Also, does anyone have any idea how they afford to pay so many authors so well with no advertisements or subscription model?)

• Locked thread