Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Maybe if you say the binary suns, plural?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

At least a few times, I've sort of 'woken up' partway through something I was reading and thought to myself 'was this whole thing in present tense all along?' and it turns out it was, and I just didn't notice. Like, until someone mentioned it here, I had forgotten that The Hunger Games is in present tense. I wonder if it's one of those things that's invisible if the writing's good and horribly glaring if the writing's bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I also got a DM my first time. Then the second time I won! It's not like you get a DM and everyone decides you are Bad At Stories and laughs at you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I find deadlines are absolutely necessary, because I am a hideous procrastinator. On the other hand I once wrote and turned in for English class a self-insert story about New Kids on the Block, so it's all relative.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Stop caring so much what other people think about you. That way you won't run yourself into getting all flustered like you do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Last time this was discussed I realised I flat out couldn't remember what tense the book I was reading was in and had to go check. Do people really feel it makes that much of a difference? I don't think I even really notice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson is just an absolute masterpiece of tension and pacing. She wrote it in less than two hours, so clearly she was a witch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Liam Emsa posted:

I just started writing a short story, and then I realized I was writing "Life on Mars" meets "Interstellar."

What do you do when you realize this?

Make it the best possible version of 'Life on Mars' meets 'Interstellar' you possibly can.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

I always wondered what kind of crap Limyaael was reading where she regularly ran into some of the problems she rants about. It reminds me of something an ex of mine (an electrician) said about why there's a rule in safety manual about not installing an electrical outlet inside a swimming pool: "It's only in there because someone was that goddamned stupid."

I was just reading one and at the start she mentions she was a freshman English teacher. The poor woman.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TheGreekOwl posted:

http://pastebin.com/6D3v81b5

Its me again, I sat on this for a few days or so, revising it wherever I could, trying to make it sound more natural, as well as making it shorter.

That goes for the syntax and naturality of the language. Of the terms I introduce and throw around I have elaborated on previous chapters. I am not one to throw the viewer in a sea of unknowable words and letting him drown on it.

There's some context in the previous page if anybody wants to get the background of this btw.

I don't want to be overly harsh but this language doesn't sound natural at all. It sounds almost like something deliberately heightened, like an argument between two Homeric gods or something.

Like:

'Polytechnous: Shut it Varnaskhia, you’re a tumor treading on my wings, a unbeliever pretending to be goddess bestowing us from ignorance'

Tumours don't tread. There are grammar issues here, like a missing comma before the name and a missing article before 'goddess'. You don't bestow something from someone. Your English here on the forums is way more natural and fluent than this stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I thought it seemed very playlike, too. In the context of a grand stage play I actually kind of like the tone of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

marmaduke1979 posted:

I used to love creative writing in school and always had an ambition to write, but as the years have passed it never really happened. Do you guys have advice of starting out? Or is it really just a trial and error process? (inter-mixed with feedback from peers)
I have seriously not written anything besides academic papers in a long time and I am unsure of how to proceed. I did note the OP's suggestions on reading widely and I am certainly guilty of falling into a genre trap. Thanks in advance.

You could try Thunderdome! I find the combination of a weekly prompt and a strict deadline helped me get going.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

I would specifically like some advice on plotting.

Once upon a time...
And every day...
But then one day...
Because of this...
and...
And in the end...

There, a plot. Oh and for the record, the bit of the crit you said was useless meant 'you used non-standard punctuation and I'm not sure if it's fair to pull you upon it, but I want you to know I noticed so it pulled me out of the story at least a bit' and 'Orientalism is bad, don't be weird and racist more than you can help'. I understood that and I haven't even read your drat story.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

it's a writing fact that 80085 makes "boobs" on a old calculator (not those fancyass texas instruments ones, though, gently caress you rich kids who could program stupid nerd games on your digitized nerd abacus)

:argh:

5318008 but upside-down, imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Moby Dick is a hard read to get started, but once you break 100 pages it's super engaging.

This. I must have tried to read Moby Dick five times before I finally cracked it and goddamn, it's amazing. Pip :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think there's actually an argument to be made that Ice and Fire gives a lot of attention to the damage the world's misogyny is doing to Westerosi culture in general and the characters in it, men and women both, in particular. There are male characters who don't fit the patriarchal norm who are ruined by it. There are women who don't fit the norm who are variously corrupted and destroyed by it. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it feminist, but at least Martin seems to appreciate the idea that pseudo-historical misogyny was completely hosed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nano caused me to finally stop being scared of writing a long thing. It also got me moving and was good impetus to keep writing because there was a little gauge that filled up, which is apparently all I really need. A bar to fill in on a website. What I produced is kind of paper-thin and lacks subplots and a proper ending but is otherwise actually kind of okay.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Now the obvious solution is 'quit', and I'm working on it, but in the mean time does anybody have any advice on how to get the daydream engine rolling again?

Can you fit in any writing time before work? I totally relate to this and I found squeezing half an hour in before work was the only way to get things done. The evening is just dead time. Also try to care much less about work, but that goes without saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo Doc, that was great. Thanks!

• Locked thread