Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've always had a problem finding an audience for what I write -- I have a habit of writing what I want to write, and not what others want to read. Aside from "READMOREREADMOREREADMORE," what else could I do to alleviate this? Should I even worry about alleviating it, and instead focus on writing the story, and finding an audience afterward?

I'm not rushing to be published, but I'd like to write things worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
What do you do if you want to branch out, though? Say you get by on publishing sellout stories, and then you decide to publish something you like, something entirely unlike the stuff you churn out. If your audience knows you as the guy who writes about books with abs pounding you in the butt, what will you do when you publish your book about European railroad engineers who find love in the American midwest?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

angel opportunity posted:

I use pen names for erotica. Even if I wrote what I love I would use a pen name because my IRL name is more generic than John Smith.

Pen names are really good for experimenting.

I wasn't implying any sort of shame from writing sellout material, by the way -- erotica is as valid a genre as any.

It's just that there isn't a genre that isn't over-saturated; my concern was how to transition what notoriety one might possess to one's preferred work.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

If you haven't actually finished a story how the gently caress do you expect to find an audience for it? There aren't audiences for imaginary stories.

(Read more.)

I've finished several, actually. I've got folders full of works that I wrote, edited, and then forgot about because I have no idea what to do with them. For the longest while my only source of entertainment was a vast library of schlock science fiction and fantasy, every episode of Red Dwarf, and my word processor. You get some stupid smoothies out of that mixture.

Sitting Here posted:

Scridiot you are typing your psots while attached to the biggest aggregate of human knowledge ever compiled in history and you're telling me you can't google some keywords from your plot and find some successful books and short stories that are doing something similar? I guarantee there are plenty of things in your novel that are similar to novels that have come before it, because that's how human brains work, they absorb poo poo and then spit it back out in a slightly different format.

Like, I love writing about dreamy overworlds. My book involves a literal ocean of dreams. I thought I was sooo special until I read Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show, which deals with a very similar setting. I was thrilled, because Barker has a pretty steady following, and it was really cool to see an idea very similar to mine executed in a different way. It let me think about what worked and didn't work, and go back and apply it to my story.

If an author does something well, and it sells, you can bet their audience is going to be looking for more of whatever they liked about the story. That's one reason it's important to know what sells. Not saying you should rip off bestsellers, but knowing what people are already hungry for will help you target your stories appropriately.

Thank you. My biggest worry wasn't that I'm a ~=special unique snowflake=~, it's that everything I've written has been done better by other people.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just lost about eighty pages of material due to a mixture of fat-finger stupidity and a lovely laptop. Should I go back and try to replace them with what I remember and think of it as an editing experience, or should I work on something else in the meantime until the irritation dies away?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Spongebob Squarepants has the best dialogue. It is thought-provoking.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Look, I'm sorry if the tasteful innuendo and simple -- yet incredibly deep -- humor of the show is above your head. It truly captures the spirit of the generation, and it's an inspiration to men and women everywhere. It's not quite as culturally relevant as My Little Pony or Homestuck, but it has its place among modern works as an item of great media significance.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

jimcunningham posted:

What's the best way to tackle short dialogues in with telepathy or the like? Currently I have it as

I'm kind of lost as to whether it needs quotations. It's a god speaking to a man(sort of) and his responses are not supposed to be audible more of an internal dialogue with the god.I've dabbled with writing before but always quit. Here's hoping I can stick with it for more than a week.

In Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, Death speaks in bold lower-uppercase without quotation marks, and it gets this point across beautifully -- it lends his speech pseudo-gravitas, emphasizing his dry humor. Did I mention Death is the best Discworld character? Because he is.

It's a shame about his granddaughter, though. She's insufferable and brings down whatever book she happens to end up in.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm going to stream myself as I stare at a blank wall and make vague sobbing sounds to myself. And for every donation I'll mutter a nursery rhyme as I put out lit cigarettes on my arm.

I'm nothing if not avant-garde.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Martello posted:

just stream yourself explaining to the thread your top-secret chosen snowflake genre

So you essentially want me to fart wetly into a microphone for an hour.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Whenever I have writer's block I usually eat a lot of fiber.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dude stop posting my manuscript, or at least get to the good part where the clown car driven by the book with abs shows up

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lately I have been feeling the melancholy that comes with not doing enough with my time. I want to start writing again, but I am the opposite of an idea guy. I have two ideas for novels, but I want to start with shorter works. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or website of writing prompts? I tried that seventh whatever site in the resources thread, but I really didn't like its style. I know that's a useless criticism, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe too Mad Libs?

Check out Thunderdome. Nothing like a deadline and a weird prompt to get you to write, and sometimes the microfiction you churn out can blossom into a larger work. There's a couple of Thunderdome entries that actually managed to get published.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Here's a twist ending: I'm a dog. A dog that can type.

Also, has anybody here ever written for comics? There's a project I'm working on with a friend and while he says the short story format I'm working with has worked for him, I'd like to send him something nice and clear so he doesn't have to waste time jumping through descriptive hoops and unreliable narrators and just be able to draw the comic with straightforward descriptions. I know Alan Moore used to write his scripts panel by panel with excruciatingly detailed descriptions, but I don't have the talent to do that and I want to give the artist plenty of room to innovate on his own since he's a professional artist and I'm just a dog that can type.

Any suggestions on how to write a good script? Or should I listen to my artist buddy and stick to short stories?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Put giant robot erotica on Amazon and brag about being a published author.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Nothing matters, you're unimportant, and you'll never write anything worth reading.

Don't I know it. :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Peel posted:

Literature is vital, you are its beating heart, and the next great American novel is inside you yearning to break free.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Typical, content is gated behind the ability to already do that content. Just like videogames. Ugh.

*pushes glass up nose, snorts loudly*

now see here maybe if you weren't a FILTHY loving CASUAL you might get to see the content, but instead you want people to carry you with your welfare purples and your cliffsnotes GET GOOD DAMMIT

But yeah, that book looks awesome and I want to give it a read. Instructional books have been my thing, lately.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol if u do not just hallucinate ur words into existence

A proper first draft is smeared in a noxious mixture of blood and feces on a fungus-stained cell wall or screamed again and again in a language known only to you in a feverish, high-pitched singsong cackle.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I have a terrible story with an even terribler prologue that adds nothing to the story, but I would like to set up a bit of worldbuilding and maybe introduce the antagonists before the story actually starts, something as a teaser to get the reader interested in the story. Would a short story-style thing work?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

spectres of autism posted:

"Read this story I'm in," he said, smoking a cigarette in a cool fashion.

"I agree, it's really good and interesting," she replied.

Then they boned.

youre welcome

stop stealing my thunderdome entries spectres of autism

(just kidding, there are no robots in this)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've always been a big fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's penchant for Watson ejaculating in surprise.

Coke's a helluva drug, man.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't know if anyone's read Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold, but one of the gimmicks I enjoyed about it was that every chapter centered around a different character, and the narration switched to that character's voice. NiffStipples' remark about his narrator being a :geno:-faced neutral made me think -- as "wacky" as I've tried to make my story and my characters out to be (alcoholic demon lord! giant robot angel! telekinetic cyborg parrot!), the narration is stiff at best and cripplingly, cringe-worthily awkward at worst. Would changing the narrative voice to fit the current character POV work better, or would I be better off trying to fix the narration on its own?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

NiffStipples posted:

What if the book was being written WHILE a small, nerdy kid read it. He'd not know this obviously, untill he has to give a name to some dumb whore princess who just shows up - thusly, creating an interdimensional wormhole where he terrorizes highschoolers on a flying dog dragon.

Nvm... Authors who write books about authors probably huff glue.

That sounds like the sort of story that would just go on and on forever.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

change my name posted:

Also, how do people come up with good titles. This is one skill I am sorely lacking.

Look up Chuck Tingle and use his seminal work as inspiration. But for us mere mortals, the easiest way is to take the general theme of a story and summarize it into three or fewer words, or give an ironic spin on the story's concept if it works in context.

Also, most writers with addictions only get better after they kick said addictions, save for those rare cases where the writer's stream-of-consciousness rambling are the results of a drug or booze-fueled fugue state, and even then the writer has to be intensely talented to begin with in order for that to work.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 10, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Slammed in the Ham by a Manly Man"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Pumped in the Rump by Forrest Gump"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hey, I have a backlog of finished-but-unedited stories I need to, well, edit, but I also have a bunch of fresh ideas for the next story in the series. Should I work on the next one, or drop the ideas and focus on un-loving my shitpile first?

Thanks in advance!

Love, Screaming Idiot

PS, the new story will also, most likely, be a tremendous shitpile.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Thanks for the advice. It'll also give me a chance to ensure a little consistency between the old work and the new, because I'm a loving nerd and I'm the kind of guy who agonizes over little things like that rather than, say, the plot being interesting or exciting.

"Yes, we get it, the demon lord wants to rule the universe with his army of mutant cyborgs, bla-bla-bla. Does the hero like sour things or not? On page 314 he says he doesn't like sour things, but on page 567, 759, and 1,987 you explicitly state his favorite soda is tart in flavor! Make up your mind, idiot!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I know this question has been answered enough times in the past, but I've dug around and I can't find it and so I'll ask again and maybe tattoo the answer backwards across my forehead: How long should a manuscript be before and after editing? The current one I'm on is 9078 words long and 379 double-spaced pages at 13pt. Times New Roman.

I'm working to reduce the wordcount while completely rewriting some scenes -- and cutting out the more obvious, cringeworthy pop culture references. This story is a labor of love, but I want to polish this turd enough to send to publishers someday.

If genre matters, it's comic sci-fi with elements of fantasy, and it's not YA because I'm fond of naughty language.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sailor Viy posted:

On the one hand, I think editing shouldn't be a matter of reaching an arbitrary number like '20% less than the first draft'. It should be about tightening the novel up so that it reads better.

On the other hand -- 90,000 words sounds pretty long for comic sci-fi. I haven't read too many books in that genre, so you should do your own research into similar novels and see how long they are. From a bit of googling I learned that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is 46,000 words, but some of Terry Pratchett's books are up around 90,000.

Oh, length isn't the entire goal, I'm just trying to pare it down to something a little more manageable while working out the kinks in the story. I've actually removed about three chapters worth of useless fluff, including a spectacularly stupid introduction that had absolutely nothing to do with the story.

I know the quality of the book's contents is the most important thing, but I want to keep my work short enough to be interesting not just to the reader, but to a potential publisher. I know a lot of budding authors want to be the next Tolkien or GRRM, but those guys got to where they were in spite of their books being large enough club buffaloes to death, not because.

Also, where do you guys stand on illustrations? After I get my first book edited I was toying with the idea of hiring and artist to draw some of the more important scenes, either as inserts for the book itself or as potential covers.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

anime was right posted:

*just DMed in thunderdome* heres some dope advice from an idiot

stop quoting me you bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The roots of a utopia society must sometimes be watered with the blood of redshirts.

• Locked thread