Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

To chime in with my own handy dandy productivity tip: no matter what you do one day you WILL die. Get going.

Trust me man if there is one person who does not ever need to think even more about how they're going to die and probably take all their words with them unuttered to the grave, it's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Also, you're villain is going to be thinking about his audience. If it's a group of like-minded people, he's going to probably be a little more candid about their motives than if he's talking to a group of people he's trying to persuade to his side of things.

I could see "protecting the world from itself" as a workable motive if your character and his colleagues have a deep-seated belief that the population at large is generally incapable of looking out for their own good. I'd watch footage of American political campaigning, those guys seem pretty great at getting people to vote against their best interests.

You really don't have to look far for real life examples of what you're trying to do with this guy.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
We're cultish, now? Sounds like someone is bitter about not passing the secret CC cabal entrance exam.....

Man you don't just MAKE plot and meaning (I kinda lump moral/theme under meaning). You don't. You can't. It's not yours to manufacture.

I write from life, mostly. Life doesn't have a plot or an agreed-upon meaning. The neat thing is that if you are writing honestly from your own insight, experience, and observation, people will project all kinds of meaning onto your writing. Like how many times do you think an author has had meaning or intention ascribed to their work when they'd intended something totally different? How many examples of classic literature are iconic in ways the writer never could have anticipated?

So. Plot, theme, moral and meaning are all similar because they arise from the thoughtful juxtaposition of events, usually human in nature. We experience a certain satisfying cohesiveness from these elements when they 1)speak to something true in our lives 2) speak to something true about the human condition at large. It's very, very rare that a story's meaning and plot aren't derived from basic human (or human-like) experiences.

Basically, plot and meaning are the sum that is greater than that parts of the story. "A bunch of events happening in order" isn't a plot anymore than a definition is the same thing as meaning, anymore than a platitude is the same morality.

Assuming a writer has all their other ducks in a row (writing conventions, characterization, etc), I think that they need only write honestly and observantly, and the rest will fall into place. Either you'll suddenly "know" what you're writing about halfway through, or you'll see where themes and patterns evolved organically when you step back to survey your first draft.

But basically before you worry about ANY of that, it's still important to know how to get your characters from A to B to C in a way that doesn't make your reader hemorrhage from the eyeballs.

I think it would be hard for there to be a truly themeless/moralless story because even if the author intended it that way, readers would do what all patrons of the arts have always done, which is see what they want to see.

disclaimer for this and all advice, I've never been published so there's basically no reason to think I know what I'm talking about. But it's the writing philosophy that I've placed all my bets on.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
And while we're at it who takes writing advice from the loving internet

I guess people've sold a lot of centaur erotica, but still. If you want to write RAVAGEd BY THE CENTAUR EMPEROR (reluctant gay), we're your dudes.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm a frequent present tense writer. I find it feels more natural when I know I'm going to end the story in such a way that the POV character wouldn't be able to retell/reflect. But some people like Dr. K interpret past tense as "a second in the past" which works too.

For me, tense becomes invisible, regardless of which it is, if it's consistent. I've even seen books successfully switch between past and present, and even like 3rd person past to first person present. I think it boils down to using tense with intent; like most things, doing it specifically to sound more stylistic or literary, whatever the hell that means, is stupid usually obvious.

Also, when I'm telling a story casually, it feels natural to drop into present tense, like:

'So I'm schlepping around Main street waiting for the bus when this guy with the stump of a third leg growing out of his hip, all with one tiny custom pant leg for his little fleshy outcrop of a leg nubbin, he comes up to me and says, "give me your shoes..."'

So for certain kinds of stories, it feels natural to do the same.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
So has anyone here ever put finished reading a story and gone "man, that was great but it could've used more swears"?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I write a lot and have a hectic schedule and was apparently born under the sign of Crazy Bullshit that Sucks All the Time and I have some thoughts about writing. A lot of this has come to me over the past couple months where I haven't been producing as much in terms of quality and quantity.

The most important thing is to be flexible in your approach. If I need to stand on my head for 777 seconds while chanting a power mantra one day and then flagellate myself the next, I'll do it. If today I can ONLY write in a coffee shop with western facing windows that capture the last dying rays of the setting sun then I'll do it. If you're a laptop user or have an easy-to-move desktop, sometimes all you need to do is make your writing space different than your casual internetting space.

There is one huge caveat to the above though, and it is.......

Figure out when you are procrastinating! If I notice I've spent 20 minutes browsing Yelp looking for the perfect laptop friendly spot, I know that I need to just buckle down and work.

If I know it's a day where I won't get much of a chance to sit down and write for a solid block of time, I try to leave my document open and work on it here and there throughout the day. This works best if you have a writing friendly job and use google docs or skydrive or another writing app.

Finally, it's important to compartmentalize what I call 'ideas time'. I personally think it's great to play around with your story in your brain, where it can exist as pictures and feelings, basically distilled story essence. I do this ONLY when I am riding the bus/walking somewhere/otherwise in transition and physically unable to write.

Basically, save your brainstorming for when you really really can't be writing. I find that when I do it that way, by the time I get to my computer I am bursting at the seams with words.

Keep in mind I'm not published yet, so who knows if this is good advice. But I think of writing as like, a second significant other. What writing wants, I bend over backward to give it. I feel guilty when I don't write for a while, like I'm neglecting someone. So that is a strong impetus as well.

YMMV

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Mr_Wolf posted:

Being called a Peep Show hack is my greatest moment in my short time in the Thunderdome.

When you say " a bit borrowed" do you mean heavily influenced by something (Peep Show) or actually i'm a disgusting little coward who ripped the story from somewhere? If it's the former: then yes. If it's the latter: while i am a disgusting little coward, the story is my own.

Thanks for the crit too.

As far as I know you didn't directly lift any plot, It was just the narrator's inner monologue, and then when your narrator tries to kiss his date with the ashes of a dead woman in his pocket. I guess I'll say that it felt "inspired", but I wouldn't call you a hack. Even if you had lifted content from the show, you apparently have decent enough observation skills to figure out which bits are entertaining.

I wasn't bored reading this, is the important thing, regardless of its origins. Work on having more variation in your sentences, less "I did this. I did that." Read about commas and poo poo. You could do worse for examples of character-driven story than Peep Show, though. afterthought edit: There are problems with it too though, in that no one should realistically want be around the two main characters; TV shows can get away with a little more in terms of implausibility because they have to go on for a season or more.

That's been my AM ramble, time to find some coffee...

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 12, 2014

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
When I was slogging through the Malazan series I had to put the books down from time to time due to over the top DBZ action sequences. It wasn't so much one-on-one fights but pointlessly large-scale battles, badass gods everywhere, giant Sephiroth swords, the works.

Malazan is weirdly a pretty successful fantasy series though so I don't know what my point is here.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
New business: Titles

I mean, a 'working title' is a thing for a reason. I tend to use something evocative of the setting, theme, or intention of my story. After I'm done writing, I try to figure out what is the most eye-catching, for lack of a better word, to potential readers. Sometimes I miss the mark. Sometimes the title fairy visits me in my sleep and I know what a story will be called before I type the first word.

I don't think the title-magicianry works the same for any two stories, TBH.

Old business: I would like to say a thing about crits and what attitude to have when you are giving/receiving a crit. This is more for the benefit of anyone lurking the thread, I think, than anyone participating in the conversation. Sorry for being late on this, the airport wifi pooped out right as I was hitting submit, but I am ignoring that cosmic hint to not post!

Elfdude, you said some stuff that got jumped all over, and while I'm inclined to sympathize with my colleagues here in this thread, it does suck to get dog piled on.

But so okay, the thing about critique is that as much as we say don't take it personally, at the end of the day it is still you. Your words, your worlds, your ideas. And right now people are giving you a lot of poo poo because your ideas, even in a discussion thread, aren't translating.

I think I can explain a bit why people picked up on the "I would..." and "It's important to point out..." tics. I think you are afraid of what you have to say. Your waffling around in this thread, bloating what you're trying to say with non-committal neutralizing statements, shows that either you aren't sure of yourself or you don't really know what you're trying to get across. Actually, this is probably some of the most valuable critique for your writing you could ask for; it's a critique of your fundamental ability to communicate.

Like, I'm working on a novel with a 1st person narrator. So the reader is pretty deep in her head all of the time. And week after week, I was getting critiques that my character lacked agency, was just being carried along by crazy plot events and not really contributing to the story. Meanwhile, (without getting too TMI), my therapist was telling me basically the exact same thing about my life.

I realized that I couldn't write an effective character unless I could be a more effective person. This isn't true in all cases; lots of hosed up people have sold millions of novels. But for people like you and me, sometimes our uncertainty, or passivity (I'm going off of your writing/posting because I don't know you, obvs) are an obstacle. So when you get crits on those things, on some level it's going to be really uncomfortable because writing is so often an exercise in contending with who you are as a person.

Mostly what I want to say though is that the people who do the majority of crits for TD/CC are genuinely cool people who actually want everyone in this forum to succeed (I don't mean me, I hate/am terrible at crits). There is literally no gain in any of it, except for maybe crits are a good exercise?

At the end of the day none of us really WANT to fly into a visceral rage over internet forums fiction. No one wants to get huffy over a discussion thread. But Rhino, Mojo, Dr. K and many others have put a ton of hours into trying to help people, because in a perfect world we would all be great writers and would be posting from our respective yachts/jets.

I've read your writing, E-Dude. You're not the worst I've seen, but it's messy and frenetic in some places and passive and vague in others, and I suspect it's not because you lack understanding of mechanics. I'm pretty sure you are capable of identifying good writing when you see it. So it's really telling when people react with anger and confusion to things you say, yeah?

Also nice crits are the devil, I won a few TD rounds and have 0(zero) publications to my name. A cautionary tale, no?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

This is probably going to get me a lot of poo poo, but after sitting down with Bioshock Infinite's final DLC last night I am thinking I'm going to go back and finish this fan fiction piece I had set in the game world because it had a lot of readers at a time and it was a promising project, but also because it couldn't hurt anything as long as I treat it like something I'm going to sell, but can't.

I know the general consensus on fan fiction around here and I know I have a novel I'm working on, but I've been wanting to do this for a while and I don't think I'll just be able to let it go. I'm going to wrap it up nice and neat and edit it for a final posting.

Great! How can we help you with that?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Thing is that I am not dreading work on the novel and I don't see the difference between stuff like this and what people do with the contests here and the like. Not everyone is going to have the same trouble splitting their time.

So how can we the people of this fiction advice thread help you in your fan fiction endeavors, remains the question.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

This actually sort of ties into something I've been thinking about/struggling with for a while, so I'll springboard it into a question of my own.

In general I approach fiction through characters first and foremost, and that's where I start most stories. I'll have my protagonist (at least a general sense of who they are, their personality, their values, their skills and their flaws, where they come from and how it's shaped them), some supporting characters or antagonists that'll bounce off of them well or serve as interesting foils, an idea of what the story is about in a grand thematic sense, and a few specific ideas for story beats (ranging anywhere from vague "I'd like to write this kind of story" plot/genre ideas to specific scenes or even just snippets of dialog). Ultimately, though, all of that isn't very useful without a strong plot to pull it together, and that can be a real stumbling block. Coming up with a plot isn't necessarily difficult; it usually only takes a little bit of time for all those individual ideas to start naturally stitching themselves together into a coherent narrative: if the shootout is the climax, then the protagonist's burnt-out cop buddy is the most logical way to get us there, so we need a a reason to have them working together on this case, which means we start with the hero coming on as a consultant; etc., etc. It works, more or less, but ultimately I'm just connecting the dots and that's what the plot ends up feeling like. Does anybody have advice for going from the concept stage to specific beat-by-beat plotting without falling into the "and then, and then, and then..." trap?

If this is a first draft, write out the "and then, and then, and then," crap. It won't happen any other way. I'm only like 30,000 words into my first real attempt at a novel, and one of the most useful and humbling lessons I'm learning (over and over again) in this process is that you just won't get all the stuff you want in on the first go.

A novice mistake in sketching is when the artist tries to jump straight into the "fun" details of a picture, forgoing things like proportion or perspective. So you get an elaborate anime face on an undersized body, hands lazily hidden behind the figure's back.

To continue with the metaphor, I think beat sheets and outlines are the equivalent of a thumbnail sketch. But you still have to lay down the actual sketch, and build the composition from there. I think it comes down to being afraid of writing The Bad Version.

Pretty much, like, just write and etc

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm glad a bunch of (mostly) unknown aspiring writers have agreed for the 1400th time that some crits are useful and good and some aren't. Really glad. Currently thanking whatever deity compelled me to bookmark this thread.

Can we bitch about how hard it is to write a novel with like themes and poo poo instead? I'm still first draftin' through my first book, and right now all I can do is pump out rough, utilitarian action/dialog/description. I'm really big on books with ~meaning~ beyond just "here is what happened to some people, the end".

I'm assuming that this is a second draft problem, but I'm curious what other people's approaches are, since asking about it here is way easier than writing the drat book and finding out for myself :v:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

blue squares posted:

If you haven't read infinite jest, you're missing out on some of the best writing... ever. It's the best book I've ever read.

Yeah, I read it for the first time last year and was like, "wait you're allowed to DO that with words?"

no actually you're not allowed to do that, only David Foster Wallace is

But folding that into Canty's question, I find it helpful to read things that I find absurdly inspiring. I get excited to go out there and try new stuff, and having a solid community to bounce it off of is of course extra incentive.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
If something is so good that it gets stuck in your noodle, writing wise, it's worth stealing and coveting and completely misusing for your own purposes. It's still filtered through you. Your self. So what you're really going to get is a weird slurry that's a little bit King and a little bit Pratchett and a little bit That Person You Know Who Talks a Certain Way, maybe with a dash of Subconscious Recollection of a Certain Nit-picky College Professor You Once Had, or something.

Loot and pillage the works of other authors, for there is nothing new to say and no new ways to say it.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
what's a metanarrative

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

It's not what I thought it was. What I meant was a story that referenced itself and what was being thought about when I got the idea for the story.

ok even so im really confused about how punctuation would disrupt the story's self referentialness

Symptomless Coma posted:

To that point: I see a lot of people writing about writing, and a lot of people asking abstract questions - and yes, a lot of people critiquing responses to the esoteric challenges of Thunderdome - but I don't see a lot of writing.

Not a lot of, "here's a story I wrote, in its entirety. What do you all think?" And that seems odd, because asking that question of that output is the only real question there is at stake. It's the only question that exists in the marketplace, after all. And no, it doesn't belong in this thread but it does belong in CC, and it seems like the writing community here is watching this thread instead of putting themselves out there. This isn't to chastise anyone in any way, but I'm ready to crit as best as I can. So wither the stories, everyone?

Lots of people in CC work with each other via PM, IRC, or directly on Google docs. Most of us who work together with any frequency found each other through Thunderdome. The CC writing community was basically catatonic a couple years ago, with writing threads getting maybe 3 or 4 replies at most. I'm personally stuck smack in the middle of a project right now, for example, but having places to just talk shop is sometimes all I need to get excited about what I'm working on all over again.

Community is a powerful tool for writers, and I'm grateful for the one I've found here. Even if it's not obvious on the forums themselves that people are getting poo poo done and putting it out there.

I guess what I'm saying is, posting about posting in the FA thread isn't really fiction advice in the strictest sense :|

Sithsaber posted:

1. I had to hold off on the library today. Some of us have jobs.

2. Why wouldn't I ask questions about punctuation? Your whining is stupid.

3. Fandom is basically a different medium.

4. Tomorrow you whiner. I don't have WiFi.

Sithsaber posted:

That loser was referencing something I texted last month. TEXTED. I even had a disclaimer complaining about how I lost most of it when messing with gmail drafts. The only thing that I've seriously posted here that ended up horrible was Harmonshock, and that was a parody I lost interest in on day one and only completed because I needed to practice following through. (In my head it was a screenplay I never got around to editing)

Ps. And tell that other guy that we can both gently caress off. I'm not going to apologize for getting people's take on a sentence I was hung up on.

Pps. Thanks for reminding me about that book. I should probably read it before I order Zarathustra.

Ok, being serious now: I genuinely hate seeing people get dogpiled in this thread, so understand that I'm on your side when I say just stop. Was your punctuation question answered? If not, do you have follow up questions?

If you want more help, post a sample of the piece. This has turned into a FA slapfight, which writers of CC love, so you're sure to get lots of critique on anything you post.

but seriously, little known fact, this is the bitchiest thread on SA except for maybe the WAYWT thread in YLLS. The advice is good, but you will receive it bitchilly.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

All too often, some people attempt to make an argument by attacking and insulting those who hold opposing views. Mr. Sithsaber's remonstrations are a perfect example. Before I launch into my main topic, I want to make a few matters crystal-clear: (1) Sithsaber brandishes the word “crystallographically” as a kind of up-to-date jack-o'-lantern to scare children, and (2) as a result of that, the world would be a much better place to live if Sithsaber just stopped trying to feed us ever-larger doses of his lies and crackpot assumptions. Now that you know where I stand on those issues, I can safely say that I want to thank him for his surmises. They give me an excellent opportunity to illustrate just how feral Sithsaber can be. Life isn't fair. We've all known this since the beginning of time, so why is he so compelled to complain about situations over which he has no control? The complete answer to that question is a long, sad story. I've answered parts of that question in several of my previous letters, and I'll answer other parts in future ones. For now, I'll just say that it's easy enough to hate him any day of the week on general principles. But now I'll tell you about some very specific things that he is up to, things that ought to make a real Sithsaber-hater out of you. First off, he has a well-exercised contempt for other cultures. The mere mention of that fact guarantees that this letter will never get published in any mass-circulation periodical over which Sithsaber has any control. But that's inconsequential because honor means nothing to Sithsaber. Principles mean nothing to Sithsaber. All he cares about is how best to use our weaknesses to his advantage.

Whenever there's an argument about Sithsaber's devotion to principles and to freedom, all one has to do is point out that we have our work cut out for us. That should settle the argument pretty quickly. When I hear Sithsaber's blackshirts parrot the party line—that our elected officials should be available for purchase by special-interest groups—I see them not as people but as machines. The appropriate noises are coming out of their larynges, but their brains are not involved as they would be if they were thinking about how Sithsaber surely wants me to develop an eating disorder. If I did, I'm sure the chortles from Sithsaber and his band would be rich and prolonged, especially given how Sithsaber adamantly maintains that Man's eternal search for Truth is a challenge to be avoided at all costs. Such beliefs would be entirely factual if it weren't for reality. As it stands, Sithsaber's notions are destructive. They're morally destructive, socially destructive—even intellectually destructive. And, as if that weren't enough, Sithsaber makes a living out of Maoism. I call this tactic of his “entrepreneurial Maoism”. Sithsaber and his toadies have indubitably raised entrepreneurial Maoism to a fine art by using it to establish a world government complete with a world army, a world parliament, a world court, and numerous other agencies that subvert time-tested societal norms.

We must stop tiptoeing and begin marching boldly and forthrightly towards our goal, which is to lead us all toward a better, brighter future. Double standards are always domineering. Nevertheless, I can state with absolute certainty that I call upon Sithsaber to stop his oppression, lies, immorality, and debauchery. I call upon him to be a man of manners, principles, honour, and purity. And finally, I call upon him to forgo his desire to let advanced weaponry fall into the hands of the worst sorts of loud snobs there are. If anything, he is squarely in favor of antagonism and its propensity to let antisocial lowbrows serve as our overlords. This is so typical of Sithsaber: he condemns bigotry and injustice except when it benefits him personally. While he has been beating the drums of communism, I've been trying to take stock of what we know, identify areas for further research, and provide a useful starting point for debate on his unforgiving projects. In doing so, I've learned that Sithsaber says that he would sooner give up money, fame, power, and happiness than perform a horny act. Although Sithsaber indeed cut that statement out of whole cloth, it's easy for us to shake our heads at his foolishness and cowardice. It's easy for us to exclaim that we should bring important information about his hectoring writings into the limelight. It's easy for us to say, “From the very beginning, rotten, cruel mob bosses have labored to recruit into their ranks the sons and daughters of the powerful, famous, and rich.” The point is that it's easy for us to say these things because there is something grievously wrong with those wily publicity hounds who demand special treatment that, in many cases, borders on the ridiculous. Shame on the lot of them!

Sithsaber has been trying for some time to convince people that he has been robbed of all he does not possess. Don't believe his hype! Sithsaber has just been offering that line as a means to oppose the visceral views of 98 percent of the nation's citizens. I hereby publicly condemn his Pecksniffian, tartarean activities. In doing so, I publicly proclaim that it's undoubtedly astounding that Sithsaber has somehow found a way to work the words “interparenthetically” and “archaeopterygiformes” into his policies. However, you may find it even more astounding that he claims that the Scriptures are responsible for his infernal thoughts and fancies. This eisegetical fantasy is not only foolish, but it fails to consider that I hate it when people get their facts utterly wrong. For instance, whenever I hear some corporate fat cat make noises about how the cure for evil is more evil, I can't help but think that in my observations upon sciolism, I have expressed no opinion thus far of the mode of its extinguishment or melioration. I will note, however, though I still have nothing to propose, that I must admit that I've read only a small fraction of Sithsaber's writings. (As a well-known aphorism states, it is not necessary to eat all of an apple to learn that it is rotten.) Nevertheless, I've read enough of Sithsaber's writings to know that my goal is to get Sithsaber to realize that his warnings are as appealing as braces, acne, and a wooden leg at the senior prom. Of course, if he insists on remaining an ignorant, uninformed, and ill-informed spiv, that's his prerogative.

Don't kid yourself: I'm sure Sithsaber wouldn't want me to eavesdrop on his secret conversations. So why does he want to shock and stampede the public into accepting total fascist tyranny? He doesn't want you to know the answer to that question; he wants to ensure you don't reach the broadest possible audience with the message that this is an exceptionally convincing illustration of the power wielded by Sithsaber and of the destructive way in which he uses that power. Is it any wonder that juxtaposed to this is the idea that he is bound to have a rude awakening when he finally realizes how few people approve of his militant, ribald bromides? He has already begun lowering scholastic standards. I wish I were joking, but I'm not. What's more, finding the best way to test the assumptions that underlie Sithsaber's philippics is a challenging problem indeed. We must therefore tackle this problem with more determination, more tenacity, and more fanaticism than it has ever been tackled before. Only then will people realize that there appears to be some disagreement in the community regarding the number of times that Sithsaber has been seen emptying the meaning of such concepts as “self,” “justice,” “freedom,” and other profundities. Some say once; some say five times; some say a dozen times or more. The point is not to quibble over numbers or anything like that but rather to clarify that Sithsaber's bilious plans for the future are anchored in the divisiveness of the past. Have you noticed that that hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream media? Maybe they're afraid that Sithsaber will retaliate by tricking our children into adopting unconventional, disapproved-of opinions and ways of life.

Impolitic scofflaws have increasingly been practicing human sacrifice on a grand scale in some sort of sappy death cult. Sithsaber has a lot to answer for in regard to that. His “I'm right and you're wrong” attitude is querulous because it leaves no room for compromise. To give the devil his due, I'm impressed with how efficiently Sithsaber manages to sully a profession that's already held in low esteem, especially given that the implications of this are obvious. To spell it out, though, if today we don't issue a call to conscience and reason, then tomorrow we'll have to put up with him changing children's values from those taught in the home to those considered chic by garrulous dopeheads. Let me go on record as saying that he has nothing but contempt for you, and you don't even know it. That's why I feel obligated to inform you that he has no fixed ethical principles. I put that observation into this letter just to let you see that to get even the simplest message into the consciousness of invidious, narrow-minded phlyarologists it has to be repeated at least fifty times. Now, I don't want to insult your intelligence by telling you the following fifty times, but in his quest to persecute the innocent and let the guilty go unpunished he has left no destructive scheme unutilized.

I'm not a psychiatrist. Sometimes, though, I wish I were, so that I could better understand what makes people like Sithsaber want to take over society's eyes, ears, mind, and spirit. Given the doolally political rhetoric of our times, he is out to foster suspicion—if not hatred—of “outsiders”. And when we play his game, we become accomplices.

Sithsaber's servitors have been staggering around like punch-drunk fighters hit too many times—stunned, confused, betrayed, and trying desperately to rationalize Sithsaber's heartless, unmannerly cajoleries. It is not a pretty sight. I once told Sithsaber that he bases his announcements on the belief that one hallmark of an advanced culture is the rejection of rationalism. How did he respond to that? He proceeded to curse me off using a number of colorful expletives not befitting this letter, which serves only to show that we need to hinder the power of feckless backstabbers like Sithsaber. Why? Because of what's at stake: literally everything.

Sithsaber has indicated that if we don't let him dress up his profit motive in the cloak of selfless altruism then he'll be forced to silence any criticism of the brainwashing and double standards that he has increasingly been practicing. That's like putting rabid attack dogs in silk suits. In other words, Sithsaber has issued us a thinly veiled threat that's intended primarily to scare us away from the realization that many of us are too naïve and trusting. It takes a lot of convincing to get us to see a person as inherently appalling or inherently squalid. Alas, Sithsaber is doing all he can to provide us with unmistakable proof that he is inherently both. For instance, Sithsaber is addicted to the feeling of power, to the idea of controlling people. Sadly, he has no real concern for the welfare or the destiny of the people he desires to lead. Given that this was true long before the latest scandal broke, he is presumptively eager to promote mediocrity over merit.

Socrates was condemned to death by the city of Athens for his views. I hope I don't receive the same treatment for saying that some oppressive, headstrong demagogues are actually considering helping Sithsaber distract attention from more important issues. How quickly such people forget that they were lied to, made fun of, and ridiculed by Sithsaber on numerous occasions. Knowledge is the key that unlocks the shackles of bondage. That's why it's important for you to know that I don't see how Sithsaber can build a workable policy around wishful thinking draped over a morass of confusion (and also, as we'll see below, historical illiteracy), then impose it willy-nilly on a population by force. I'm not saying that it can't possibly be done but rather that Sithsaber should think about how his outbursts lead noxious, insufferable curmudgeons to change the course of history. If Sithsaber doesn't want to think that hard, perhaps he should just keep quiet. All right, I think I've said enough about how you'll never hear Mr. Sithsaber admit he made a mistake. I'd be curious to see if Sithsaber has a persuasive rebuttal.

same

DivisionPost posted:

And also, when Chillmatic posts like he did above, you listen. He's twice the motherfucker we aspire to be.

I may be risking my life by telling you this, but Fart's smears are unspeakably exploitative. It is worth noting at the outset that if Fart succeeds in his attempt to rob, steal, cheat, and murder, it'll have to be over my dead body. I will not say what is right and what is wrong when it comes to his theatrics. But I will say one thing: His lapdogs tend to fall into the mistaken belief that separatism and vigilantism are identical concepts, mainly because they live inside a Fart-generated illusion world and talk only with each other. The worst classes of snotty scroungers there are serve as the priests in his cult of peevish Oblomovism. These “priests” spend their days basking in Fart's reflected glory, pausing only when Fart instructs them to take rights away from individuals on the basis of prejudice, myth, irrational belief, inaccurate information, and outright falsehood. What could be more obstinate? Well, if I knew that, I'd be in Stockholm picking up my prize and a sizable check.

Lest I forget to mention this later, you may make the comment, “What does this have to do with discourteous, indecent menaces?” Well, once you begin to see the light you'll realize that I am a law-and-order kind of person. I hate to see crimes go unpunished. That's why I sincerely hope that Fart serves a long prison term for his illegal attempts to impose tremendous hardships on tens of thousands of decent, hard-working individuals. Please keep in mind that my concern is with morality itself, not with the teleological foundations upon which it rests. Fart acts as if he were King of the World. This hauteur is astonishing, staggering, and mind-boggling.

Even if one is opposed to incomprehensible emotionalism (as I am) then, surely, Fart contends that all major world powers are controlled by a covert group of “insiders”. What planet is he from? The planet Harebrained? The answer is not obvious because Fart's protests are a mere cavil, a mere scarecrow, one of the last shifts of a desperate and dying cause.

Fart yearns for the Oriental despotisms of pre-Hellenic times, the neolithic culture that preceded the rise of self-consciousness and egoism. By the same token, he abhors the current era, in which people are free to navigate a safe path between the Scylla of Fart's parviscient, irresponsible bunco games and the Charybdis of pauperism. If he has any children, I recommend that Fart teach them about love, trust, cooperation, community, reason, negotiation, and compromise rather than violence, paranoia, and fear. His lies come in many forms. Some of his lies are in the form of equivocations. Others are in the form of ipse dixits. Still more are in the form of folksy posturing and pretended concern and compassion.

Fart uses the word “saccharogalactorrhea” without ever having taken the time to look it up in the dictionary. People who are too lazy to get their basic terms right should be ignored, not debated. Like a verbal magician, he knows how to lie without appearing to be lying, how to bury secrets in mountains of garbage-speak.

Having no desire to belabor this subject, I'll just say that Fart keeps telling us that he is always being misrepresented and/or persecuted. Are we also supposed to believe that doing the fashionable thing is more important than life or liberty? I didn't think so. While he might not desecrate religious objects per se, Fart's blandishments are yawping. They're unnecessary. They're counterproductive. Whenever I encounter them I think that if I had my druthers, Fart would never have had the opportunity to sound the standard “they're out to get us” call and rally his spinmeisters to take us over the edge of the abyss of fogyism. As it stands, Fart is extraordinarily brazen. We've all known that for a long time. However, his willingness to make excessive use of foul language sets a new record for brazenness.

Even when the facts don't fit, Fart sometimes tries to use them anyway. He still maintains, for instance, that everything is happy and fine and good. After being called an incompetent miser a hundred times or so by him and his cringers, I have reached the conclusion that he justifies his dodgy, foolhardy execrations with fallacious logical arguments based on argumentum ad baculum. In case you're unfamiliar with the term, it means that if we don't accept Fart's claim that he holds a universal license that allows him to redefine humanity as alienated machines/beasts and then convince everyone that they were never human to begin with then he will withhold information and disseminate half-truths and whole lies. Unless we lend a helping hand, our whole social structure will gradually disintegrate and crumble into ruins. Although Fart is ever learning he is never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. The truth, in this context, is that Fart's grunts argue that one hallmark of an advanced culture is the rejection of rationalism. These are the same presumptuous cheapjacks who stifle the free inquiry of science and the application of its discoveries towards bettering the lot of mankind. This is no coincidence; he may destroy the values, methods, and goals of traditional humanistic study right after he reads this letter. Let him. Eventually, I will preserve the peace.

Here's an idea: Instead of giving Fart the ability to have a serious destabilizing effect on our institutions, why don't we free people from the spell of adventurism that he has cast over them? If we do, we'll then be able to uplift individuals and communities on a global scale to call for a return to the values that made this country great. I overheard one of his minions say, “Fart's drug-induced ravings are all sweetness and light.” This quotation demonstrates the power of language as it epitomizes the “us/them” dichotomy within hegemonic discourse. As for me, I prefer to use language to unmask Fart's true face and intentions in regard to zabernism.

I like to think I'm a reasonable person but you just can't reason with abusive, disingenuous recidivists. It's been tried. They don't understand, they can't understand, they don't want to understand, and they will die without understanding why all we want is for them not to deny the legitimacy of those who recognize and respect the opinions, practices, and behavior of others.

If Fart got his way, he'd be able to popularize a genre of music whose graphic lyrics explicitly urge clumsy swindlers to fleece people out of their life's savings. Brrrr! It sends chills down my spine just thinking about that. Many the things I've talked about in this letter are obvious. We all know they're true. But still it's necessary for us to say them because the scores of goose-stepping parasites who comprise Fart's camorra must all be held accountable for helping Fart destroy any resistance by channeling it into ineffective paths.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

You guys are amazing writers, but I don't get your stories. I can't get through them. Your feedback is always fantastic, but the stories you write in TD - the ones that win, that are leading the curve, that's some literary stuff that's beyond me. And y'all tend to get seriously hostile when a person intentionally counters your advice.

I realize I'm exposing myself to the wrath of Sebmo, Rhino, Crabrock, Systran, Muffin, Mercedes and all the other top-level contributors in this forum by saying this stuff, but all too often you guys intimidate the poo poo out of me as a creative person, trying to find my own voice.

I don't need hugs and a big gold star sticker on my shirt, but goddamn. What's keeping me from writing right now? Internal conflict between my vision, and overwhelming feedback from people whose writing I admire, but don't understand.

Thunderdome? Literary? "Top-level contributors"? CC people's "Overwhelming feedback" is what's keeping your from writing right now?

Mag7, I actually like the cut of your jib most of the time, but if the above things are impeding your ability or motivation to write, you need to take a step back from this thread.

I don't think anyone gets mad when someone doesn't take their advice. I think people get mad when someone posts a question and then spends more time contradicting people who're trying to help them than they do writing. And at the end of the day, "talking shop" is not nearly as helpful as actual crits, so this thread can feel a little bit like spinning wheels in the mud.

Regarding getting motivated to write: I guess I'm one of the rare people who is totally inspired by someone sitting on my shoulder critting my every word as I put it on the paper. As systran mentioned, a bunch of us were in a pretty serious writing group for a while, and I hit levels of productivity that I'd never managed before then and haven't managed since.

I miss u WADers

I think this thread would work a lot better if we accepted that sometimes it's just a place for people to come vent about their writing, and if people didn't take everything so personally. Just my 2 cents well cya.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

I get what you're saying but one of of the guys in the sister thread did tell me not to question his critiques before he moved on to the next one.This is odd because some of us want a bit of give or take we can think about instead of simple editing.

Ps. He didn't edit anything. I think he meant that I shouldn't get touchy about advised corrections/ "excuses".

How would you guys handle train of thought? How does it fare when the writer is playing with omission?

I saw Broenheim's reply. He was telling you that he, as the reader and critiquer, doesn't want to hear explanations that aren't contained in the story itself. If you were a professional author, you wouldn't be able to sit there and explain "what you meant" to every single reader of your story, would you? So that's why Broenheim said that.

Like, this subforum is not full of fascists who can't stand to have their critiques questioned. It's full of (mostly) amateur writers who critique other people's writing in their spare time. For free. That's really cool, and while you're free to not take every crit you get into account, we are still readers telling you what we think. What else can you ask for?

Re: Playing with omission: Fine. Omit away. But you're still relying on crits/your readers to tell you "hey, this didn't make sense because I didn't have enough information."

edit: wanting to have an active dialog about your piece is fine, but when you mention multiple times "but guys I like omission!" then people are probably not going to be as patient.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 11, 2014

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just emptyquote Dr. K forever.

Incidentally, I'd be more than interested in forming another writing group. I am taking a break from my novel since I was spinning my wheels on it for a month, and have now started a new project to keep the practice up. So if anyone (including my former group mates HINT HINT) wanted to actually get some poo poo done, I'd be down to help organize. Even if it's just a bunch of people meeting in IRC every week or every couple weeks, I think a lot of people would benefit from organization and enforced deadlines. And I am ready to put my writing where my mouth is and get loving published.

I mean we can talk shop and bitch and discuss writing "theory" in here all we want, but at the end of the day it's a bunch of vague questions with vague answers ITT.

Join me and together we will rule the universe.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Cool. So previously, we'd done Skype. But the number of people who've expressed interest already makes that seem like it'll be really hard to organize. Last time around, we had on average 5 people per week on a Skype call, and that was kind of hard to organize because of time zones and etc.

Several people have already told me IRC would be easier.

So what I'm thinking is we create some sort of group or forum somewhere, come up with deadlines and a crit schedule, and do a combination of IRC and long-form written crits.

Some people work really well with weekly deadlines, some don't. If enough people are interested, we could probably have multiple crit sessions, but it really depends how many people are interested and what their schedule/time zone is.

Thoughts?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
K writergroup people. I'm going to throw up some sort of simple forum hopefully by the end of the weekend, along with a dedicated IRC channel. I'll post a schedule and some general guidelines, and we'll go from there.

I am fairly sick right now which is why I haven't done it already (clicking the mouse is hard), but I think getting this idea off of the ground as soon as possible will have the best results.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, so. I made up a rough little board for us to start with. Depending on how things go, a better, more customized board may be in the works.

There won't be a penalty for missing a week, and people are welcome to sign up so we can get this off the ground. The goal is to have a consistent pool of people who are willing to submit and crit on at least a semi weekly basis. Peer pressure can be added as needed.

I have a few ideas of how to help people motivate themselves, but it really depends on how much interest we get.

When would people want to have an official first week? I'd be ready to start as soon as this Friday, but that might be too short of notice.

Anyway, here's the link, lets see what happens.

http://writergoons.jcink.net/

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

I'm guilty of thinking like the second one down. Hrm if I do this in a fantasy world I won't have to research as much. Then inevitably someone gets on a boat or a horse and off to wikipedia I go. It's a vicious cycle.

This is a good post but Sithsaber is on a weird ego thing right now where he thinks he's a cool dude who is simultaneously trolling and yet also bringing intense realness to this square-rear end thread. It's best to let these ones tire themselves out and not prod them too much.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I hope it's still going too!

For what it's worth, when I was posting my novel rough draft scene-by-scene, I didn't have any issues with other people's input harshing my creativity. It was more like, I had this big exciting idea, and having people on my shoulder along the way kept me from wandering off into bad exposition or pointless dialog at every turn.

But. Anyone who is interested in posting any length of fiction is still welcome to join us at:

http://writergoons.jcink.net/

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Also something that came up in the crit for a short story in the writing group I thought might be good to discuss: how do people find coming back to stories they wrote a very long time ago? I've had this story that has gone through several rewrites, and I feel like since I first wrote the very different first draft I've changed a lot as a person as well as a writer. But it's hard to apply that to what I've already written, and even when I try to write around it its hard not to slip into what was before. Has anyone successfully managed to save something like that?

e:
I'm hoping the suggested tense change will free me from my shackles as I still kind of like the core story.

I usually force myself to start at a different spot, either earlier or later in the story. Later is probably better, since the conventional advice for fiction is that stories should start as close to the end as possible, but that's not always the case.

I'm doing that right now with a Very Bad short story that I finished and then put away for a few months. I'd started the piece last year with this one very specific opening image in my head, and I kind of got stuck on it. I started writing at a different point in the story and it feels like working on a whole different piece, even though the characters, setting, and plot are more or less the same.

But yeah, I think changing tense, POV, or the starting point of your story are all helpful things to do, even if you're only experimenting and don't intend to keep it that way.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Don't do this. People keep sending me private messages saying it's toooo loooooong and they don't want to look at it. I think Echo has been the only one to tackle the huge unforgiving mountain that is 1/6 of a regular novel.

um I seem to remember a group of sexy, talented and good looking people spending like 2 hours critting your piece via Skype.

I'll probably post this on Writergoons too, but I think it would be better if people refrained from posting/PMing "it's toooo loooooooooong." Crit what you're comfortable critting or don't. I think it would be ok to critique only a portion of a piece, and maybe explain why you didn't feel compelled to read/crit further. I also think that longer pieces can stand much more general critique.

But hey, I'm just glad we have a lot of active writing happening!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Also is the Writer Goons writing group dead now?

I am SUPER busy, like, so busy that even taking the time to post there is more work than I can conceive of doing, to say nothing of reading and critting. So I apologize for the lack of organization. I am taking a week off work starting next Wednesday, so while people are more than welcome to post this week, I will probably be somewhat MIA until next week.

I can, of course, always give admin powers to Echo Cian, Dr K., or anyone else who is interested/has enough free time.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if the goal of weekly writing is too much. There was kind of a big initial rush of stories, which was cool, but I doubt if any of us are rewriting/revising/writing original pieces every week.

I'm sort of wondering if a bi-weekly or even monthly schedule would work better? I've also been thinking, due to the success of Thunderdome, if a contest format would also be cool. Sort of like the monthly fiction contests we used to have around here. Usually the top three stories got in depth critique.....pretty good incentive if you're trying to get published.

This whole group is still kind of a work in progress, and I'm way busier this summer than ever, so people's continuing input would be appreciated.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Dear Rhino,

We're sorry to say that we will be unable to accept your question in this issue of the Fiction Advice thread. While we enjoyed it, it just wasn't the right fit for this publication.

We wish you the best of luck in your future question-posting!

-The FA thread

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

Hope this isn't too forward but if you ever want to talk writing (or whatever) over beers, CC regulars myself, Sitting Here, and Nethilia are all in your area & not axe murderers

Seconding this. Always down to talk shop, or just bitch.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

systran posted:

i met a writer irl once and he wrote literary fic, then when I told him I mostly do spec fic it was very awkward and I hope I never meet a writer irl again

;_____;

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

systran posted:

I wouldn't mind meeting you again though, friend

same

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

blue squares posted:

hey circlejerkers, tell me how to get out of a stuck middle

Are you implying that you're in the middle of a circle jerk?

but yeah I think (and I'm only guessing here because I am currently languishing in the soggy middle of a book) the solution is to do something completely different than what you were doing. Throw yourself or your characters a juicy curveball you're excited to go back and write about

Or chant and throw salt over your shoulder

I will edit this post once I've escaped The Middle, check back!!!!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
"But then..." should be the favorite two words of anyone in this thread IMO.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

:argh:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
stuff like the rift is one step closer to virtual reality as we've speculated it might be in scifi novels and movies. Probably one day people will just live inside computer worlds they control with their brains and it will basically be like being a wizard.

Sometimes I look at films and feel jealous. Especially now that computer animation is pretty top notch. It's still storytelling, but with music and visuals. I never want to make films, because it's hard and expensive. but if i could like, somehow combine Dragon speech to text software, the rift, and RPG maker, I would, is what i'm saying. IMO it could happen, if we don't all kill each other first.

My totally important and helpful question to the FA thread is: what do you think storytelling will be like in the cyberfuture? are we all going to keep plugging away at keyboards? or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
basically i'm holding out until I can be a career ideas guy

• Locked thread