Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
The only logical advice to give is to find films, other stories, photos, advertisements, etc. from that time period. If it's within the 20th century it shouldn't be too hard, the internet is a big place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
The question then is why? If it's a generic thing like "The Carnival" or something then it should be okay but if it's not it would have to have a pretty concrete connection to the work to excuse it.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Nautatrol Rx posted:

I'm posting this in a couple writing threads to bring attention to it. It's about the writing sub-forum of CC to protect work from being indexed in Google and thus getting you rejected from several magazines. Some of us have discussed this already, and I've posted a QCS thread at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500225 to bring it up, so please add your input whether you agree or disagree with what I've said.

I can see why they're hesitant about throwing one up because the activity in CC for writers anyway has seemed to be in flux for a while.

So people should keep being active, keep writing, and get your friends in here so this can happen

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I will say I read it and kind of quirked my head at it. If the goal behind the opening hook is purely to capture interest and pull your reader into asking what's next, I think you have that.

If I may ask, is the assassin's job or the twist that he takes his balls so as to artificially produce a heir?

Just the way the bit ends I feel like something else is happening with the body

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

bengraven posted:

Anyone already planning what to write for NaNo?

It's coming up fast!

I feel like this should be the time we get the CC writers IRC channel back up and running for sprints and other activities. I won't be doing the full 50k word thing but I'll be using Nano and the month as incentive to hunker down on a project I've already started. Would be up for hanging with other writers for ideas and critiques for the month.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
It's weird because of the last 5 books I've read, 4 have used no quotations (A Hologram for the King, Galore, All the Pretty Horses, Autumn of the Patriarch) so I feel like, especially with those first two, no quotations is becoming something that is more accepted but I also think it's harder to pull off. For my own writing it's just never felt very natural and like Chillmatic said I think it messes with the internal voice a lot of readers have. And besides that I haven't really read a great argument for removing quotation marks outside of a style choice.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

The broken bones posted:

Anybody have any good lit reviews to submit to?

You're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

FauxCyclops posted:

Ignore, ignore, ignore. The dubious legitimacy of "trigger warnings" aside (and you've given an especially frivolous example), you're writing fiction.

I was going to say this. The point of fiction is to elicit emotional response, good or bad. While trigger warnings do have their place (and yes, are easily overblown/abused), I don't think there's any situation where you should restrain where you're going because someone, somewhere might get upset if they read it. That said, make sure whatever terrible triggering content you have has a purpose.

• Locked thread