Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jagermonster posted:

False. Cyberpunk is the worst.

n-no!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

+1. Your writing's a long way from perfect, but it's definitely getting somewhere. I've been enjoying watching The Ascent of Mag.

i cant wait for you all to witness my grand descent from mediocrity into that part of your brain where you go: "lou? huh, whys that name familiar?"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I have judged you twice and given you a DM and an HM. Your name is familiar because you're "that guy whose stories vary wildly in quality".

I do really want to read more set in the blood-prediction world though so that's pretty awesome.

ALSO WHY IS THERE NO APOSTROPHE IN YOUR NAME MOTHERFUCKER. AND WHO SPELLS IS 'MUSTACHE' YOU gently caress.

AAAAAAAAARG.

you cant use apostrophes in usernames, did they not teach you in your ten word country that spells mustache wrong?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hey all, lets all not be mean to each other and talk about grammar

why do you think that books that use lots of adverbs manage to be so popular in books intended for younger audience???????????????????? thanks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Djeser posted:

I don't know if this is more fiction advice or just life advice, but I've been having some heavy motivation issues lately, and I'm just wondering what people use to focus and get their writing done. I think last time, you guys had suggested setting aside a certain amount of time each day, which I've thought about but never managed to put into practice. Do people have anything else they've found to motivate themselves (in general, or in specific for writing)? I feel like I should note it's not that I don't like writing, it's just that it ends up being a lot lower-effort to browse forums and play Dark Souls.

I deleted Dark Souls from my hard drive today, at least.

always x time, go into a separate PLACE (coffee shop, porch, kitchen etc) from where you do dumb stuff, remove distractions the moment you do.

this forces you to write, and eventually you associate the time/place with writing.

the place thing really helped me a lot. i think it just eventually sent a division in my brain that goes "its writin time"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chairchucker posted:

Every time I lost it was because those dumb domers didn't understand my genius, man. They just don't get it. I'll show them. I'll show them all.

a buncha toiletsuckers, those judges are

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chairchucker posted:

This anti butts bias must be stopped.

personally, if you're not pro-butt, you're pro adverb after said.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Liam Emsa posted:

Is anyone else doing NaNoWriMo this upcoming November?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669355

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wrong thread lol whoops sorry!

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

i read every character's dialogue in my own voice because the smartest, most interesting person i know.

i mostly read romance

please dont make out with yourself

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lovingly, Shepard ran a finger down the blade of Garrus' jawline. "Heard there was a big gun in here. Thought I might see if I could squeeze off a few rounds."
Vakarian's eyes glinted, mischievously. "Might need a little calibration first." He whispered, placing a hand on Shepard's chest. "I was thinking you and I could break out the 'tools,' what'd you s-"
Suddenly Kai Leng came in and hosed everyone because he is the BEST by drew karpyshyn (age 4)

lol i missed this, lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
present tense works really good for present or near future-y stuff imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my nano is an epic fantasy novel (it doesnt have elves or orcs at least)

my first book was cyberpunk

clearly i just need to write 5 more books until im original

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

people don't have to be a good writer though to think something sucks, just like i can hate a movie even though i'm pretty sure i'd be worse than michael bay at directing one.

you're just less likely to know why it sucks is all

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

blue squares posted:

How do I write good?

g - o - o - d

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dont bore or confuse people with your writing and if people say your writing is boring and confusing guess what it probably is unless they are literally a child (in which case you should maybe write a young adult novel instead)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

keep sucking until fewer people think you suck, you will always suck, just suck less

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
excuse me but how else will i learn to write dialogue if i dont meticulously study dialogue wheels in bioware games??

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what ever happened to mary?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
while this thread is often used inappropriately to joke around, im wondering if its worthwhile to critique human nature rather than writing itt

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I like reading stories where the author, through choices of brief words and execution of precise language, delivers layers of meaning without sacrificing the intent.

i like pizza

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i refuse to read about the epic backstory of a thing until i actually care about said thing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also you will be judged mercilessly

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Hemingway app is kinda poo poo though, because it can't tell the difference between passive voice and "Tom was happy."

and you can read and go "well i need that".

its good at identifying fat, you just need to know what to trim

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
get your book banned that always works

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Climate Change isn't real," said Dr. John Doctor loudly.

"But it's warm out!" whispered Doofus Dorklord.

im writing what i know is real and true

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dont suck
suck less
be less sucky

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

angel opportunity posted:

The first haiku wasn't funny, and each subsequent haiku has been ten times less funny than the one before it

man this isnt even a haiku wtf are you even trying

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
1st draft: have an idea, just write it all down. i always have a beginning and ending when i sit down to write.
2nd draft: change order of events, delete anything useless, add anything that might need elaboration (in this order)
3rd/final draft: polish that turd, boy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thunderdome has taught me that no one will like gimmicks or get subtle twists.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if your characters are doing something idly, say it before the dialogue and if it needs to change, only then bring it up.

if your characters are throwing their hands all over the place when they talk, you don't need to do that unless your character is zizek or something. in which case you can say what he does beforehand, or after the first dialogue sentence or whatever.

but really, most people don't do stuff when they talk, or they do something half-assed that can be stated beforehand.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im not going to care about that dude

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if you put words together sometimes you make sentences. if you put sentences together sometimes they make paragraphs. if you put paragraphs together sometimes they make chapters. if you put chapters together sometimes you have a really weird secret society hellbent on shutting down supermikhail.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im gonna crit all your crits of his crit crit of a story

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Martello posted:

Next time use punctuation dude, holy poo poo, and also please try to actually extrapolate something when you crit my crit of his crit of a crit instead of some loving worthless run-on sentence.

Thanks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
An executive chef can tell you exactly how much salt to subtract from your roast chicken. Any person can say "i can't taste the chicken, wtf, this sucks". It's up to the preparer of the meal to determine that the chicken is too salty. That's how that chef became executive.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
write good not bad

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dunno if anyones ever done this but i broke a writers block (wasnt sure how to resolve an issue) by rubber ducking my story (explaining it element by element to an imaginary figure). the natural conclusion to the situation jumped to me immediately.

didnt know that worked but it was p cool. try it sometime maybe? Idk.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
can someone tell me the aspects of scrivener that make it appealing and the features they find most useful?

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
okay i have tried using this new fangled "scrivener" and the ability to chunk pieces makes pacing a hundred million times easier since our brains like doing that thing of lumping stuff into groups and subgroups and also i wrote a lot of words today using it beacuse it removes a lot of the overwhelming nature because then you can just be like "write a scene" rather than looking at thousands of words and pissing into a pool of more piss

thats a lot of words but basically i like this program

• Locked thread