Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ill do it ill write 50k words ill ahahaha

sure i'm gonna tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the thing is all feedback, no matter how lovely, has an underlying reason behind it:

"your character should be a vampire" can say anything from "this character wasn't cool or interesting enough for me" to "your main character doesn't fit the story you wrote" to "there is a market for me to drool over dreamy pale dudes who bite necks" to "when chapter 3 happened i wasn't invested but if you stuck to cheap genre tricks i probably woulda ate the whole thing up"

i posted something similar before like a year or two ago or something, but in creative fields, all feedback says something, just possibly not the thing the person is actually saying.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bromplicated posted:

Do you ever pick up an old, unfinished manuscript from say, a year or two back, and finish it off? Maybe it's something you still think about from time to time. Or maybe it's something you found in a drawer and thought to yourself, "this is isn't so bad, why didn't I finish this?"

Or is it best to just keep moving on? The one piece of advice I've gleaned from this thread is "finish what you start," but is it best to leave what's unfinished, unfinished and simply start anew?

it took me finishing two lovely books to actually have a grasp on writing middles and endings. thats my anecdote.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sailor Viy posted:

But what do you do if there are some things that are boring, but necessary for the story to make sense? For example, say there's a character in a scene and I really don't care about him or his reaction to what's going on... but it wouldn't make sense for him not to be there, nor for him to just stand in the background without saying anything. I can sometimes find a way around this (e.g. by going back over previous scenes and finding a way for the boring character to not be there) but it still often comes out feeling clunky.

send that character off on an errand (we need food for our journey, im gonna go buy some), have the other characters break away while that character naps or cooks or looks at paintings, or have that character break up the boring infodump with a small task (throwing rocks at a beehive, getting chased by bees, rejoining conversation exhausted and stung). what i chose is a little more comedic/adventurous in tone, but you get the idea. a lot of writing employs this, but they're pretty subtle and you never notice because its done in a sentence or two, or within a line and a few seconds in a tv show and functions as the transitional portion between more key scenes.

you can always just define the character super well beforehand and ignore them entirely but mention they're there. the reader can fill in the blanks for you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
*just DMed in thunderdome* heres some dope advice from an idiot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

There's nothing to bloat your wordcount like a protagonist who pauses after every loving line of dialogue to consider possible hidden meanings, clues about secret alliances, and ramifications for the grand global conspiracy

makes you(r protagonist) think

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so uh

what do you do when you finish a first draft of a book.......... that you dont hate.

i've thrown away two books now.

this is weird.

also when do i start trying to sell the thing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this doesnt make any sense!!! none at all!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

I hate writing! :shepface:

we love you tho.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Take a brief break from looking at the manuscript and start researching agents and how to write query letters if you haven't. If you're into small presses, research those. Make sure you have an idea of what the sales expectations are for your book's genre and try to find out how many copies the small press manages to move in the release month of a new book before you get your heart set on that place. (Never sign up for a publisher/small press who moves fewer copies per month than you could manage as a self-publisher.)

In about a week, go back to your manuscript and re-read it. Take notes on poo poo you want to change for consistency or style or whatever, then do those revisions.

Write query letters and start contacting agents. Make sure that when you contact them, you follow the directions they've supplied about how to do so and what information to include. Work on a synopsis for your novel. Consider working on the outline if you didn't use one to write the book, some agents will want one and it's better to be prepared. Write the blurb. Take up drinking, then quit drinking.

thanks, comrade.

do you have any resources for finding an agent? i'm guessing one was posted earlier in the thread somewhere, but if anyone else has info on that, i'd like to hear. i would prefer starting on the trad pub route before starting to think about selfpub.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 6, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thank you both.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Danknificent posted:

Your problems don't end when you have an agent; that's when they begin.

how so

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Because you're still not published yet.

so it was a hyperbolic statement, ok.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

Nah, uh, I think it's a fact (though I couldn't cite) that it's easier to go from 'unpublished' to 'one book' than to go from 'one book' to 'any kind of meaningful success.

Publishing is full of crazy bullshit, people get hosed over by agents retiring or houses collapsing or people running away to other continents and taking their series rights along or depression or or or. A lot of stuff can go wrong.

okay, that's fair, but i think "the problems actually begin there" is a little inflated sounding from that statement. no worries, and thanks both for the clarity.

General Battuta posted:

e: also there are a lot of horror stories about getting an agent but ending up in submission hell/insane drama

Danknificent posted:

Because once you have a deal, your editor doesn't wake up in the morning wondering how they can make you happy, they wake up wondering how they can twist your work into whatever shape the market research says is a good idea at the moment. Sending queries and reading rejections isn't easy, but it's not as hard as watching your name go on books that make you cringe.

do you think this partially stems from people making ill-informed decisions about who they let represent them? like, i listened up/read on a couple of things and a lot of people seemingly in their desire to be published no matter what end up letting novices or houses with no chances of survival represent them. or is it really just pure chaos and luck once you get your foot in the door, even with someone decent?

edit: and i genuinely want to thank everyone for the help/advice. the business aspect of all of this seems just as rough as actually being a decent writer.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gimme da cash

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Naerasa posted:

Look, I just want to be paid to masturbate. Is that really so wrong?

you're literally in the wrong industry but figuratively in the write one.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

General Battuta posted:

gently caress books

im not reading you on this, is this a joke?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
keep slamming the wall with your face and hope the wall breaks first. got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
familiar thing but unfamiliar concept or familiar thing + familiar thing seems like the most basic way of marketing something so genre limitations with a twist of lemon seems like the most basic way of selling your idea to someone who likes familiar thing

• Locked thread