Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

we need a fyad lite for writers imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trustworthy posted:

4. Resign yourself to not being a special snowflake, and to more closely following the proven, mainstream path to self-publishing success.

Okay I know what your point is here but this is kind of the worst possible way to make it. No one's gonna take your advice when you use the words "special snowflake"in them.

You can still write what you like, even at the cost of the almighty dollar. The only thing is, it may not be very good, and you have to eventually resign yourself to that.

If you do the legwork and no one's interested then, uh, time to take a hard look in the mirror.

(Also hilariously, there's a genre for books without genres: literary fiction)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sexting Millennials, the hot new romance novel from Chokington J. McGuillicuty

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Naerasa posted:

Lit fic gets a bum rap because people are primarily exposed to it through mandatory reading in high school, and nobody likes anything that reminds them of high school.

Which is why I don't like this post :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

crabrock posted:

give up. that's what i did and it feels great.

e/n is leaking. mods????

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Naerasa posted:

So yeah. People have read it, people have liked it, but......... I dunno. It just isn't working for anybody?

Never not publish, especially for $0.99 (or free if it's your first few).*

If you've got positive feedback, then hit up some promotional lists and also try to get some free copies to various reviewers, especially a few weeks/one month ahead of promotion—but there's nothing wrong with taking a shot if it's already been released. Author Marketing Club is p. good stuff in my opinion, paying $24.95 for the premium stuff is eehhhhnnn but they have a couple of stupidly good tools.

* Base advice comes by way of Moana, this author has put ~800 books into people's hands and only 75 of them were paid, do not trust advice in any way shape or form

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 2, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
whoops assuming you're going self pub, ignore if not :blush:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm having the opposite problem. The stuff I'm doing right now does not feel organic at all. I'm forcing it, it feels like mush, and it bores me when I review. I've probably rewritten the same chapter three times already. :(

I think I know the problem---book 1 was easy because I had a specific city as the backdrop and didn't have to think too much about set pieces. This time, I'm sending Astin somewhere I'm unfamiliar with, and I don't know how to get him from point A to Point B and what it looks like en route. It's making it drat near impossible to focus on characters and action.

Backgrounds have always been a weakness of mine. Why can't I just set everything in a bare expressionist stage? :negative:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

magnificent7 posted:

35,000 words and no antagonist.

What the gently caress.

SOOOO, I'm writing a 400,000 word novel and all this has been world building. That's it.

Always easier to chuck out words than have to go back and write more.

you are going to trim some of that, right? :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Take up drinking, then quit drinking.

quitters never win

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

where'd the fuckin trump riot go :(

go outside and look around

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I realize Stephen King has made enough money that he can wipe his rear end with twenty dollar bills but every advice I'm seen him give is terrible. To me, at least. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

change my name posted:

Stephen King's steps for writing: get blasted until you can't remember how you wrote the book, include a fat woman as a villain, something something psychic Mainers.

Stephen King's "Stay the gently caress Out of Maine"

Naerasa posted:

Nah I think he's great, but I'll still rip on him because he's not perfect. I can't think of a book I've loved that didn't have at least one flaw - doesn't make it any less good. Still gonna rip on it though!

I loving love Stephen King's idea, and he is a better selling writer and has more fans than I will ever see in ten lifetimes over because lol indy book with fans in the hundreds at best...

...but honestly, I don't like his writing

:ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sitting Here posted:

good books probably come from "I need to write this story" rather than "I want to write a good story, hmmm what do readers think is good"

just follow yr heart and the lord will provide

not necessarily good books but at least books you like writing and have a lot of fun with

it's also a great way to starve to death if you want to have a regular career

and also a fantastic excuse for the fact your stuff is crap because only you want to read it

It's a balancing act, like in all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sitting Here posted:

actually no you acerbic goofball

YOU GODDAMN SELF PUBLISHING KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN

my bad

• Locked thread