Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My Dead Family has a certain sitcommy vibe, but maybe it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Some time away probably wouldn't hurt, but don't be afraid to come back a while later and look at it fresh.

It's definitely common to get sick of something you've worked on for too long, and the answer is usually to let it lie fallow and work on something else (if you can- i.e. if you don't have to have the draft in by Thursday.) This may be more severe, but generally, if you can cleanse the palate, then later you can look rationally at whatever was giving you problems before.

This also works with crossword puzzles.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Odd that you'd find yourself reading mostly first person. Most books tend to go third-person-limited- clearly in a character's voice, often, but still using "he" and "she" instead of "I".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Adaptation's portrayal of McKee is conflicted. On the one hand we see the extreme of following the model as ending in formulaic nonsense, on the other we see that without any structure whatsoever Charlie just flounders around, and is stumped when asked to explain to McKee why he, as an audience member, should give a poo poo about the story he has to tell. Charlie-as-actual-screenwriter doesn't quite agree with McKee but sees a discipline to him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The first one I don't think is the best idea. Short of inventing your own language a la Tolkien, the best thing would be more to describe different little flourishes and details among various characters and locales.

quote:

He poured me a glass of kallek, a drink made from fermented goat's milk by the northwestern Ungri tribesmen. It was pungent and sloshed thickly in the brown ceramic mug, but when I took a sip I found it light and sweet and probably stronger than it tasted. I decided to take it slow, having business to attend to.

"So, about these monkey attacks," I said.

The trick would be not laying it on too thick.

The second bit is a puzzler. Maybe they're talking about it but somebody else is present and they don't want them to know too much? Maybe they're paranoid that someone will overhear?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If you took out every borrowed word you'd have very little left. Use whatever has been in common usage (so long as it fits your style.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think you can get away with a quote if it's not too obvious or on-the-nose. Something that hints at the theme of the story without necessarily giving away what's going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The worst is in-world quotes.

And the greatest among ye, rise from the smool and wield the power axe against your enemies, for if your strength is naught surely no manmonkey can withstand them.

-- Verse from a sermon given by the High Lord Executioner P'Fluthmoz to the Bhagavad Hot Carl before the great Ceremony of Noogies

I dunno, the chapter headings in Dune are kind of cool.

• Locked thread