Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nautatrol Rx posted:

A good place to start looking is duotrope.com. It makes your life much easier in that you don't have to crawl through multiple editions of Writer's Market. That's where you should start looking for magazines to submit to.

As well as using duotrope to find magazines, I also really recommend actually doing what they urge you to, and creating an account to log and report all your submissions and acceptances/rejections. For years I was all, "Nah, gently caress that," while I was also loving around with notebooks and Word documents and email archives to to try to keep track of poo poo during the enormous gulfs of time magazines take to respond to submissions. (I've hosed up several times and had something accepted, and printed, and then had some other magazine, usually a better one, say "We'd love to print your story!")

So... actually use your duotrope account. It works out for them and it works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Does anybody know of a decent way to just sort of ask the Internet general questions, for research purposes? My googling skills suck, but I'm writing a short story set in 19th century Australia, and in the last half hour I've spent maybe five minutes on actual writing and twenty-five minutes researching:

- What was Federation Day in Sydney like?
- How long would it take to get a train from Sydney to Dubbo in 1901?
- How much would a revolver cost in 1901?
- What are some monsters in the folklore of the Wiradjuri people?

etc.

I know you can ask the Wikipedia reference desk questions, but I feel like all this poo poo would clog it up. Never mind, I suppose this is more a whinge about how hard writing historical stuff is than an actual question.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Anyway, seeing this is a short story and not a novel, you probably shouldn't spend forever researching. Prioritize what's important. Ballparking the cost of the gun and travel time is probably fine and also exact numbers would be very difficult to find.

Yeah, I ended up doing this after a bit more googling. It's tedious, but as you pointed out, there's a limit to how much research is really necessary for a short story. Was having a whinge, disregard.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think it's a mistake made by a lot of writers who are trying to make their fiction seem more "literary," second only to writing in present tense.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The fact that a male writer wouldn't catch themselves doing that and think "hey, maybe that comes off as sleazy!" makes me regard them as weird not just as a writer but as a human being. (I'm also male.) I mean the full-on neckbeard George R.R. Martin sort of way. It reminds me of people who write Mary Sue characters who are Always Right, and have to put up with other characters who are Always Wrong, and the whole story is just about how awesome they are. It really goes beyond writing; it puts you inside their mindset, the way they actually look at the world, and it's a weird place to be.

This is veering off from writing about minorities, but I've been reconnecting with some old uni friends and reading some of their stuff, and a lot of it is in that vein. I mean, I shouldn't lecture, I've written some pretty pulpy poo poo, but I just can't stand these heroic characters they come up with that are utterly competent and - more importantly - utterly free of doubt. They never question what they're doing, they never reflect on themselves, they never worry or fear or feel torn between decisions. They only reason I would ever write a character like that is for hubris, leading to their fall.

Maybe I'm just a over-analytic, neurotic nerd, but whenever I read viewpoint characters like that I just seriously wonder where the writer's head is at.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

squeegee posted:

I just hope that too many publications don't pull their listings, or it won't really be worth it.

Do publishers pay for their listings? I don't think they do.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Someone posted a link in this thread ages back - I can't find it anymore, here or on Google - to an article about how Cormac McCarthy's habit of dropping quotation marks for dialogue was dumb. It was in a fairly major publication, the NYRB or New Republic or something. Can anyone point me to it?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, that's it. Cheers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've always found dropping quotation marks to lend a sort of dreamlike, less real, less concrete atmosphere to stories. Obviously that works for some but it absolutely doesn't for others.

The pet peeve I have is that a lot of young authors mimic it (along with writing in present tense) because they think it makes their work seem more "literary."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I've had that happen a few times. "Shortlisted" is the word they use sometimes. I've had a few get accepted from there and a few not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

Hey guys, my first short story just got published! I learned a lot here on SA. Thanks. Here's a link to the journal: http://www.amazon.com/Tincture-Jour...incture+journal

Post in the thread which needs more love!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512062&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread