Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Okay so there's a part in a thing I'm writing where a guy reads some poetry and is truly, deeply moved by it. He's writing about it in a diary, speaking to the reader, so I just have him saying (paraphrased) "it was really really really good."

I'm trying to think of a better way of getting that across to the reader. Right now it's like I'm beating the reader over the head with "no man it was so awesome you gotta believe me." Telling rather than showing or whatever.

Should I insert a bit of the poem into the text? Or whaaaat.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Purple Prince posted:

A lot of great stuff

Thank God. I'm glad sticking the poem in there is a bad idea, since I'm a butcher with verse. The character is fairly academic, so I hope I'll be able to get away with getting a little flowery in describing it. Thanks again!

Martello posted:

This brings up an interesting thing -- eye-dialect. Who loves it, who hates it, who has advice on when and how to use it?

I've seen it used very well, a little in Cormac McCarthy's work, and a lot in Brian Azzarello's writing on 100 Bullets. But I've also seen it used badly, mostly in lovely amateur writing. I guess my idea would be to keep it legible above all.

I'm not crazy about it, to be honest. A lot of people go overboard. I was just reading Cloud Atlas, and the last "story" in it is absolutely crammed with this kind of chopped up dialect. (still loved it though)

The majority of the book is written in normal English, so running face first into a wall of "A fat joocesome slice, nay, none o your burn wafery off'rins" half way through was disorienting as hell. Really took me a while to adjust to reading it.

edit: wait no that's terrible advice. Better advice is to avoid using it too much when it's the narrator's voice, like in Cloud Atlas, and save it for dialogue. Too much of that stuff hurts your brain.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Would it be alright to ask a recommended reading list from you guys? I've been trying to write fantasy and I keep tripping up, then I realised it's because I haven't read enough. I've read:

* Almost everything Terry Pratchett has written
* The Lord of the Rings trilogy
* The Hobbit
* The first two books of ASoFaI

While I know most TP stuff back-to-back (he was my favourite author when I was a teenager), his style of fantasy is a bit left-field to base yourself on without coming off as an imitator.

What's good reading? Particularly stuff that's available cheap in ebook format.

Steven Erickson's series Malazan Book of The Fallen are dense, meaty tomes with a ton of stuff to keep track of, but that poo poo is down right inspired. That dude has epic fantasy nailed.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

Well, it's either this thread or the fact that someone from high school's been published recently and I do nearly everything I do in life out of spite, hate and jealousy.

Oh god I`m so glad someone else said this. Nothing motivates me like seeing someone else I know be successful. Especially if it`s someone I know I`m better than.

It is not enough for me to succeed, others must fail.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

A creative writing prof I know actually advised against reading and emulating authors with a really strong, distinct style like James Joyce and such, since you will just get overwhelmed by it and never develop your own style.

He said one of his writing buddies was basically ruined by reading Hemingway, since everything he wrote afterwards was just Hemingway, and the guy never really got his own voice.

To me that sounds kinda dumb, but that prof is wicked smart so I try to keep it in mind.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 27, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

Hey gang.

I was looking at a lot of different points of view, and I came across some things that made me want to ask a question: is it better to write for myself or to write for what other people want?

:cedric:

See I dunno, I've thought a lot about this and I feel like it depends on what you want to get out of your writing. Pandering to what you think people want to read may lead to more success commercially, but writing what you truly want to write might be more fulfilling as an artist.

Eff art though, :10bux: is where it's at. Write a story about a vampire highschool then retire to your summer house made entirely of cocaine.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 30, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Okay so I have a problem.

I'm writing this paranormal mystery dealie, and the opening takes place in this kind of cosmic, ethereal plane that exists inbetween the living world and the afterlife. This is a place that I think needs a very thoroughly detailed description, so that the reader knows where the hell they are.

My problem is that I feel like if I go heavy on the details, it slows the introduction way too much for the kind of thriller/mystery story I'm trying to tell. This place is where the inciting incident happens, so it's not as easy as just swapping settings to something that's easier to describe.

Should I stick to a detailed opening? Or trim it down a bit and try to sprinkle in details throughout the rest of the introduction?

Also:

magnificent7 posted:

Oh I checked your Thunderdome. Your people scare me.

Embrace your fear! gently caress that, strangle your fear and wear its skin like a coat. The only real way to fail at Thunderdome is if you half-rear end it. No one really cares how good your story is, they're being written in a week and are all going to suck.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 6, 2013

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Yea, now that you say that it seems like my way doesn't really work. I was just too bunked up in the brain to see it.

Thanks!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

God help me, I'm thinking of entering a Thunderdome story thanks to all this advice. Knowing me, though, I'll probably get one of those avatars of shame, even with such a good prompt. I do really need practice outside of my pet project, though, so I suppose this will help for whatever else I plan to do with it (even though I know the advice will probably end up being "Read more scrub" or "kill yourself you are terrible").

Think of it this way, the ONLY result is you getting better. There is no way to get WORSE by writing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

I would deffo buy a book that came with DnD character sheets for all the principle characters. Especially if it wasn't fantasy at all and was just like, a political drama set in 1987.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

E-books rule. I just heard about that writing tools book ten minutes ago and now I own it. It rules too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

It`s also impossible for me to have a physical copy of "Mills College Anime Club." +1 for ebooks.

• Locked thread