Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Just a heads up, Brandon Sanderson is currently starting some sort of online fantasy-writing lecture dealie, as a followup to last year's amazing series. There's writing deadlines, mandatory crit and all that good stuff. If you're into fantasy, it might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Chillmatic, these are good words. You get really worked up, then you act like an rear end in a top hat. Stop with the defensive tone, stop with the strawmen. If you actually paid attention to people's posts, you'd realise they agree with you on basically everything.

quote:

No one here who's saying to keep writing, is saying to do so in a vacuum. Keep writing, get feedback to identify your weaknesses, take the advice to heart, read up on it if need be, apply it, write more with the new advice in mind, repeat. And learn critical reading skills from reading other fiction, but I covered that in my last post
It's not a fight between WRITE WRITE WRITE :downs: and careful technique, it's people saying that you should write, then use people's comments on that writing to help you improve. It's not hammering away on the drums with your buddies, it's hammering away with some snarky strangers who give pointed-but-valuable advice.

I agree with you man: it's important find a teacher and get them to help you correct your mistakes. The issue is, you can swing round a writing teacher's house for $20 on a Tuesday, so this is what you do. Not Thunderdome necessarily: I mean, I post there and it pisses me off how much it's pushed in CC sometimes, but a place like it- a place where people will be honest with you about your mistakes.

magnificent7 posted:

Please christ. Anyone. Someone. Come in here and start asking stupider questions than mine. I've really enjoyed the lively chat but holy gently caress.
I want to be a writer but I hate books. What do?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SaviourX posted:

So, let's take a different route.

Any thoughts on writing to fit the current mode in fiction vs. developing a unique style (for better or worse) vs. writing a specific way that's formed by and reflected in each piece?

For instance, do you use modern prose like a bestseller might, or let the tone and setting inform the language you use?

As an example, someone once paraphrased the first few lines of A Christmas Carol for their own story (even though it had nothing to do with that story), either because they liked the style or thought it was clever, or whatever. They got hammered for not having 'correct' grammar and having a cheap way to start a story, but no one commented on it being Dickens. What does that say?
I think it's a fine line to walk. If you're going to write with an affect, you want to keep it inobtrusive: the language helps build and bind the setting together without putting on a fireworks display to say "look at me I'm different!" :downs:. The word my poetry teacher kept throwing around was 'performative', which went that it was showy for the sake of being showy; to show the reader how very clever the poet is without actually adding anything.

If it's a particularly strong affect (I've just finished In the Name of the Wind and gently caress that bit in bumpkin speak), it'll knock the reader out of the story, because they have to stop and translate every so often. Keep it comprehensible.

So, my rules for writing with an affect

1) have a reason
2) don't overdo it

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

HaitianDivorce posted:

:magical: Someday I would like to meet one of these people. Their minds must be... disconcerting, at the very least.
It's actually not that hard to imagine. They want to be a WRITER in the sense of J.K Rowling or GRRM: somebody who appears to do very little and ends up rolling in money. That's how being a writer works: you wait until you have that one perfect idea, then you put it to paper and everybody immediately starts throwing you money and fame parties. :suicide:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

I appreciate your input - I do. Even when it's harsh, your points make sense and I weigh them along with any other advice. But everytime you write a long post, I can't help but hear it in this voice:

He actually made a pretty cool post but I wouldn't expect you of all people to be a good judge of quality.

"Let's rip this to shreds for the sake of ripping it shreds" is just as dangerous for a writer's growth as a hugbox: ideally, a good writing group points out both the things that don't work, and the things that do. There's nothing valuable to take from pure bile, any more than there's something to take from pure fluff.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

My goal is to help the reader hear the narrator's voice. If the reader isn't familiar with the southern dialect, I know it's just in the way, like when I try to read Scottish or Irish narratives. It becomes hurdles instead of helpful. But if SurreptitiousMuffin is saying the words are flat out wrong and get in the way of the story, then that's my own ignorance of writing and not some skillful dialect thing.

I think No Country For Old Men does a great job of writing out the redneck inner voice.
Dialogue and narratorial voice have different rules. I'm not talking about dialogue.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
No rule should be followed over a cliff. Writing isn't engineering: there are no hard and fast rules, just a bunch of good guidelines. Knowing when to follow them and when to ignore them is a pretty important skill for writers to develop.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Chexoid posted:

I would deffo buy a book that came with DnD character sheets for all the principle characters. Especially if it wasn't fantasy at all and was just like, a political drama set in 1987.
The amazing and underrated Tongan Ninja gives all the bad guys stat sheets.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Panda So Panda posted:

If it would be helpful, I could post up the first chronological scene that involves this character. But as I mentioned, it's early in the story and I don't think it would show too much of the character. I do have a few main characters thought up and a short, lovely outline worked out. I tend to over-research and overthink my characters, which I'm sure is apparent. It's finally hit me that I do this to my detriment when I recently asked a question about character creation on Joe Abercrombie's blog and he suggested creating a basic idea of the characters but allowing them to take form more organically.

I appreciate the link! I work well with prompts, so this will be a great exercise in character exploration for me. I will get cracking on a few when I get back home from work tomorrow.
Instead of writing up big character sheets, write a few short points (e.g. detective, woman, no time for suckas), then write a few scenes of your character doing boring/unimportant poo poo. Write about them going to the store to pick up milk. Write about them delivering a letter or getting into an argument at the bank. Knowing about your characters' 10 FAVOURITE FRUIT is much less important than knowing what they'd do in a given situation.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/turkey-city-lexicon-a-primer-for-sf-workshops/

This is an incredible collection of terms used to describe certain traits in writing. Kind of like tropes I suppose. I'm just had it sent to me by one of my writer mentors, and it's pretty goddamn good.

Here's a snippet to give an example:
I remember reading that years ago and thinking Damon Knight must be the most terrible loving writer, to have all these things named after him. Then it turns out he's friends with the guys who wrote it and it's stuff he makes fun of in crit sessions.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I saw Neil Gaiman give a presentation a few years back, and somebody asked him "how do you become a writer?"

He said "you write stories."

That's it. That's the secret. There's no quasi-mystical 'true calling' bull going on. Are you honestly saying you've never had a moment of doubt, never wondered whether it was worth it? Those thoughts are natural, dude. The important part is that even when you're thinking "oh christ I don't feel like writing today", you do it anyway. It's a destructive line of thought that says "you have to be super excited about writing every day" instead of "you have to write every day."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I had the same "without TD my other writing suffers" thing going on, then I realised the problem: TD has deadlines and consequences. Get together with a bunch of writer friends and work on your novels together: set deadlines and make sure to enforce them. Then, you'll be able to work on your novel without using TD as a crutch.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What's the idea then, what's the moral of the story -- take it to its natural conclusion.
This is the worst. You can always tell when something's been written like this, and it's almost always preachy and horrible. For every Casablanca, there's ten Atlas Shruggeds. Your view on this ("the role of literature is moral instruction") is so backwards, there's a major artistic movement making fun of it. One of the big ideas in Modernism is "ahaha who does this writer think he is, pretending to have some greater moral understanding than the rest of us animals". Morals are so old-school that the kids are writing on stone tablets.

Just write a story. Write about love and loss in 19th century Peru or write about detectives in space, I don't care, just write a story.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Mike Works posted:

For those of you arguing that a story doesn't need a theme or perhaps moral, I'm curious as to what some of your favorite literature/novels/short stories are that don't have any themes or morals?

Genuinely curious.
It's not that they don't have them, it's that you don't, as a writer, sit down and say "THIS IS THE MESSAGE I'M WRITING ABOUT." You write a story, and the way you see the world colours the themes and messages. Phillip K. Dick didn't sit down at his desk and say "I'm going to write stories about doing drugs and how the man is out to get you,", he did a lot of drugs, thought the man was out to get him, and wrote stories.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This thread is always so hyper-aggressive with people coming out and accusing others of not understanding literature and of being the worst type of person there could ever be. It would be funnier if it didn't have that faint ring of 'cult' about it.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read in CC. You can stay.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The charred bodies, which were localised to a 20'x15' irregular area on the north side of the street approximately five yards from Nikodemus...
Look at this scrub. A fireball of that magnitude is obviously going to create a 26x18 irregular area on the north north west side of the street. If by some horrifying chance you don't get that this is a joke, you should never write like Blade and I are. We get at least one in CC every year and it's always generic fantasy.

Another note: less is more. What you want to do with a short piece like that is go over it with a fine tooth comb and of every word ask yourself "what does this add to the story?". If it adds nothing, or a smaller word would do the same job, get out your editing scissors.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

lunatikfringe posted:

Are there any best practices when writing about a "team" of characters? How many are "too many" on a team that will be continuing on to the end of the book and possibly into the next? Is it too difficult having a main character who is only slightly more important than the rest of the team and will be featured as such? Is it possible to pull off a main character acting as the stable, no frills, foundation of the team while the supporting teammates have more interesting characteristics and flaws?

I have a team of 6 so far, 5 of which have very interesting and unique personalities. As a reference, think of the team of marines in "Aliens" that goes in to investigate the colony on LB426. I am currently just brainstorming ideas, putting things on paper and have yet to have the reality of what I can and cannot do set in. This is my first endeavor into fictional writing and I think I might be getting in over my head.
Here's the best piece of fiction advice you'll ever receive:

Stop brainstorming ideas and write. You learn to write by writing, not thinking about what you're going to write. Having an idea where you're going is good, but if you've spent more than a day or two in the planning stages, you need to be moving forward. The story will mutate on you anyway: my current novel started deviating from the outline about two paragraphs in, and was completely divorced from it by chapter 4. I'm a pretty hardline gardener so you'll probably stick with it longer than that, but it still won't last as long as you think.

It also tends to create more organic characters. Stop planning, and let the story do its thing: rather than saying "Hogson is the Medic With a Heart of GoldxBadass Bruiser", just make him a dude who looks after the other dudes and misses his kid, and see what happens to him from there. He'll surprise you. A trope just turns into more tropes, but a character turns into a better character.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Great advice but I'm killing myself in the Flash Fiction dome thing. I don't have the time/wordcount to let it evolve into its own story.

At least I stopped thinking about it and forced myself to put words down; and for that I'm grateful.
Flash fiction and novels are completely different beasts. There's definitely some crossover in skills, but you'll get nowhere if you try to write one exactly like the other.

quote:

My stories in the dome have ALL been like this: "X happens, then Y happens. And people kind of react to that. and then Z happens." Might as well write about my trip to the grocery store.

How can I break out of that
Stop focusing on events and start focusing on people.

Also, never write about time travel. It's really hard, and 99% of the time it turns out absolutely terrible.

Also holy poo poo is that story outline confusing. I have no idea what you're talking about. Stop making things complicated: you're just making extra work for yourself. It's a grave in the middle of a carpark: it doesn't need all this poo poo about time travel and philisophical debate to make it interesting. It's already pretty intriguing. Why hasn't it been dozed over? Who stopped it from getting dozed over? Somebody clearly gave enough of a drat to stand up to somebody with a lot more capital and resources than themselves, and they won.

They're a million times more interesting than a time-traveling scientist security guard who philosophises about some vague poo poo. That outline reads like a tract, though I have no idea who's trying to convert me. Every time you have an idea for something :catdrugs::siren:AWESOME:siren::pcgaming::smugdog: to add to your story, I want you to lean back from the keyboard and say "dial it back" to yourself. Keep it simple, keep it human.

edit: this is not general advice, this is advice specifically for Mag7, having seen his previous 'dome stuff. A big issue I've noticed is that he overcomplicates things and ends up tripping over his own feet. I feel that stepping back and trying to write some more simple and streamlined stories would help him a lot.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 23, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Now, I have a question for published authors - the ones who've had to make revisions for an editor or a publisher:
Are you asked to make changes that go against these simple rules concepts? Do you get poo poo like:
- Cut all this down into a paragraph of description about the room. (Tell me, don't show me).
- Give me more adverbs and adjectives (I can't imagine a request like this but, maybe?)
- All of this first part of your story could be done as a flashback. (info dump)
I can't find it right now, but there's a Brandon Sanderson lecture of how to give crit, where his answer to the above is a resounding no. Tell the author what works and what doesn't, but don't suggest specific changes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

Uh....what? Well stop doing that what the gently caress
Yeah, what? Those are tiny, dude. Save your paragraph breaks for bigger and more important things. Check it out:

quote:

Marvin Hill was planting a rose over his latest victim when the trap clanked shut. The noise startled him and his wire-rimmed glasses slid down the veined ridge of his nose. He pushed the glasses up with a bony finger, and when he stood he winced as each knee popped. The afternoon sun, fractured through drops of sweat trapped in his bushy eyebrows, almost blinded him. He wiped his brow with a glove so ancient that the rawhide fingertips were almost disintegrated.

"What is it now?" he said. Of course there was no response from the woman he'd just buried in the shallow grave, but he asked the question anyway. "Don't go anywhere. I'll check the traps, and then I'll be back."

He used a shovel to knock the Georgia clay from his boots and then walked along the weaving pebble path through his garden. The sweet smell of decaying flowers and vegetables hung in the air, and as he walked towards the trap he cleared dead leaves along the path. When he bought the house in 1960, the backyard was freshly sodded like every other house in the subdivision. Today, the only grass he hadn't dug up was a small stretch between the porch and the gate to his carport. He followed the path to the oldest section of his garden. Marvin located his trap between two rose bushes that covered a white criss-crossed lattice. The trap was a wire mesh cage the size of a large shoe box with metal doors at either end. A smile creased across his face and he said, "Well well, look at you."

In the cage, a possum cowered, baring a mouthful of tiny white teeth. He'd used his traps for years to keep the garden free of pests, but he'd never caught something as big as a possum before. It looked like a giant rat suffering from hair loss. It didn't have much room and couldn't turn around in the cage. In fact, it was a wonder how the beast had wedged itself into the trap in the first place. "Guess we'll go with the tail then, all right?" he said.

He pulled his gloves tight, and his right index and middle finger poked through holes in the rawhide fingertips. "You just relax and this'll all be over in a minute," he said.

Marvin pulled open the trap door nearest the tail. The possum growled, its teeth still bared, and it began to back out of the trap. As soon as the fleshy pink tail was out, Marvin grabbed it and pulled. The possum clawed at the cage and hissed but Marvin was already starting to stand up, lifting the tail as he rose. The cage came up with the possum, and Marvin waited a moment until the possum lost its grip, dropping cage. He held the animal at arms' length, looking around for something to put it in. After a moment, he rolled his eyes when it dawned on him he should've just left it in the cage.

"I'm an idiot," he said.
+ some dialogue attributions. Said is a magical, invisible word that readers never notice unless it's pointed out to them. Don't be afraid of it.

See how much better it looks? If there's a single train of action/though, you want to string it together as a single paragraph.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

That's an awful lot of extraneous attribution you added to a scene with a single character, though. I wouldn't have been nearly so heavy-handed with it.
Yeah, maybe. That's just a sideshow to the "Mag7 stop writing 1-sentence paragraphs what the hell" circus and revue.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A formal understanding of grammar can improve your writing a lot. For example, I was talking earlier with somebody on irc about Garden Pathing, which is something to be aware of when you write. An awful lot of muddled/unclear stories in the 'dome are technically correct, but include a lot of garden-path sentences, which scan poorly.

Or, for example, when writing a flashback or a memory-within-a-memory or something equally convoluted, you can write the flashback in the past perfect ("he had eaten") rather than the regular past ("he ate") to help clear up any confusion. I'm not saying do a linguistics degree, but understanding why we use each tense and how we process the written word will improve your writing a lot.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

I mean, you've been doing this for years. I don't know what's so different about someone criticizing a song versus criticizing your writing. And also, in either scenario I think you try to keep in mind that when people say "I didn't like that," they are almost always right, and when they say, "because..." they are almost always wrong.
Man, this 'crit' stuff that people are doing is absolute rubbish. People should just tell me that my writing is awesome and leave it at that. If they tell me it's bad then they're just hater trolls who I can ignore.

"This is good" or "This is bad" are both equally useless without knowing why it works or doesn't. Having somebody else help you with that is fast, simple and effective.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Feels too long for a casual name. 'Arcies'/'Archy' ? Maybe lose 'Arcaneer' entirely. You'll learn that sometimes you have a cool idea that needs to be scrapped, because it just doesn't gel with the story.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Master and Margarita sometimes relies a little too heavily on the reader knowing about the social politics of the 1920s Moscow art scene, but the depiction of Satan is absolutely top-notch.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Re titles: don't sweat it too much. Publishers tend to veto author titles anyway, so it's only really a relevant skill in amateur (read: non paying) places like the dome.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

What? I have never in all my pro sales had a title veto'd, and only once did the editor even ask me to consider changing it (he thought the reference I used was too obscure).
Huh, must depend on the publisher then. I was reading a good article a few weeks back from some sci-fi author who was saying he had almost no input in titles or covers. The publisher tended to favour eye-catching over appropriate. Christ, who was it? There was something about the American edition of the book having a terrible CGI woman in a revealing catsuit on it and the British version having a spaceship, because :downs: "that's what American audiences want" :downs:.

This is talking about novels, not short fiction.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there a certain amount of words you should devote to each act in a novel? A decent guideline? I'm currently finishing up Act 1 of the second draft of my book and it's sitting at about 13k words. I'm aiming for about 65k total. Have I fallen short? Gone too far? It makes sense that Act 2 is the longest but I don't have a good idea of how much longer it needs to be.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

Speaking of POV characters, I'm working on a novel right now (used to be a short story) and I decided to really flesh out the protag's girlfriend to the point where she's the other main character. My plan is to alternate chapters between them, but not to the GRRM extent of naming each chapter either "Bronco" or "Holly." I'm thinking that some of their chapters will overlap to show different sides of the same scene, with some anamolies in dialogue lines and event details to indicate somewhat unreliable narrators. Anyone think that sounds dumb or cool or anything else? Obviously it's all execution but just wondering what people think about the concept.
Depends on the execution, but I'd have some sort of formatting quirk that makes the switches more obvious the reader. If their voices are strong/different enough then all you need is a

(or some more appropriate graphic) and readers should pick it up soon enough.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Martello posted:

I'm gonna switch POVs between chapters, not inside them, so no need for the *** or whatever. However I do plan on making their voices distinctly different. It's 3rd-person, not 1st, so it will be a little more tricky, but the narrative will take note of different things and use different terminology and so on. Bronco is a jaded, alcoholic street mercenary in his early 30s, and his girlfriend Holly is a 22 year-old college dropout with a baby girl and aspirations to eventually go back to school for her interior design degree. So they will notice very different things about the world around them and the people they interact with.
Oh yeah that's fine. I've been doing it in the novel I'm working on right now. The character voices have to be pretty strong and different (one of the #1 recurring complaints from beta readers is "everybody sounds too grizzled, and I can't tell them apart") but lots of writers do it, and it's totally workable.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Watching some of Sanderson's lectures got me to approach things a little differently, and I think I like the results more so far. But maybe that's part and parcel of having mulled on it for a while beforehand already. He's kind of distracting, though, chowing down on Gummi Bears constantly. And is he wearing a... foam fedora in some of those videos?

I should just finish something and get it out there for crits, jesus :rolleyes:
Yeah he's a huge terrible goon with his awful loving hat and his ill-fitting turtleneck shirts, but he has some good advice about writing!

that hat though seriously

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Describing people is hard. Not just the technique of layering the description into the narrative so it's not so drat obvious what you're doing (though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself), but also figuring out the words to use.

How do some of y'all approach this horrible facet of writing? Both the insertion and the choosing.
Remember that actions speak louder than words: the way a character responds and reacts to their environment tends to say a lot more about them than just spilling exposition everywhere. The good news there is that you can weave it pretty organically into the plot without having too many issues.

It's also in the little verb choices: if they need to get to the other side of the room, do they stomp, glide or swagger? Being aware of the character's movements and body can get across a lot more about them and their history than saying "she has red hair".

quote:

(though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself)
Never do this. This is the most lazy, hackneyed, overused way of getting a character description out there. Every time I see it, I groan. If you really must say what they look like, switch PoV and have another character describe them.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Note on the writing group thing: I didn't totally ignore the crits, I wrote each and every one down, reread it later to make sure I understood it, then went off and did whatever the gently caress I wanted, with intent to fix it later.

It's important to process criticism, but also understand that sometimes you've just got to power through for your own sake.

Mag, we don't hate you because you won't follow the rules. We don't hate you period. We just get annoyed that you refuse to even court suggestions. People blow up at you because this keeps happening:

Mag7: I have a problem.
Goons: how about x?
Mag7: no.
Goons: y?
Goons: z?

three days later

Mag7: WHY IS NOBODY TRYING TO HELP ME.

You want to find your own style and don't want people telling you what to do? Cool. Go do that then, but when you're constantly over here asking questions, people are going to answer them, then get annoyed if time after time after time you totally ignore everything they're saying. Stop asking questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 11, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah me too.

I really wish Systran had been there for the big crit of my second draft, since he loving hated the first draft and I went about the second trying to fix most of the issues that bugged him. He actually stopped reading at a point and said "I do not understand a single thing that is happening here and I just can't crit it," then he wasn't around to see me making it right.

:(

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

systran posted:

Do what muffin did and finish a draft, then post the first revision for the group.
Don't do this. People keep sending me private messages saying it's toooo loooooong and they don't want to look at it. I think Echo has been the only one to tackle the huge unforgiving mountain that is 1/6 of a regular novel.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Total change of tack: what's a good way to break into the publishing industry? What sort of experience and qualifications do they look for?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Dear Fiction Advice,

sincerely,
muffin

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think we're a little too zealous about pulling people into the 'dome sometimes: if Zip doesn't want to do it, let him rock out and do his own thing. The point about criticism not needing to hurt though, is total bullshit. If you want evidence that a soft touch gets you nowhere, check out the Writers Block subforum on TVTropes: negativity is banned, and everything there is terrible. A big part of the reason the site got turned into such a cesspit was because of their moratorium on criticism, to protect the members' feelings.

"YOU'RE poo poo MOTHERFUCKER GO DIE IN A FIRE," is part of TD's kayfabe and is intentionally way over the top, but blocking out criticisms because they don't pat you on the back enough is a sure-fire way to wallow in mediocrity for the rest of your life. TD is a bit crazy for a lot of people and I totally get that, but there's a middle ground between TD and 'no negativity' that you've got to find if you want to improve.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Scrivener's card function is helpful to me by making it easy to move the order of scenes around and see if they work better in a different way.

I'm writing a story not set on earth, and I want one of my characters to be from the not-earth equivalent of Australia, and use a lot of not-Australian slang. The story will never visit not-Australia or meet anyone else from there.

I am not sure what the better (least-awkward) approach would be: To use actual Earth-Australian slang, OR to make up completely new slang unique to not-Australia.
Unless you are Australian, make up new stuff. People tend to really mess up slang from other countries, so it's probably gonna sound inauthentic anyway. May as well just create your own.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Cache Cab posted:

Because you're not part of the circlejerk that runs Thunderdome.

No disrespect; y'all give some great advice. But it can be pretty intimidating to try and get better when the people who're supposed to "help" are so quick to judge people who don't post right, or don't know the in-jokes, or whatever. Sometimes I wish the SA writing community weren't so tangled up in that one thread.

Again, I appreciate the help I get, but I know full well where I stand around here, and it makes it hard to submit things when I know that it's not just my writing that's going to get torn apart.

*ForumsOldGuy.txt*
Oh for gently caress's sake.

I had a slam of you all written up, then you actually apologised and I deleted it. You're not getting lucky a second time.

The reason your story lost is because it was the worst. Some pieces were controversial at the top end (I tried to get an HM for Obliterati but the other judges weren't having it), some were controversial at the bottom (Jitzu the Monk was saved from the loser seat by SH, who placed him around the middle) but yours was the only pieces that all three of us hated without reservation. "Oh god Cache Cab's story is awful" "yup" "yeah it really is" "cool, next?"

You have terrible spelling, confusing plots and boring rear end in a top hat characters. Nothing will kill a story faster than glaring spell mistakes: it shows you didn't even care enough to read it over a single time. Stop blaming social politics for the fact you suck.

I don't care if you like me, but you should like writing, man. You should like your story enough to lavish some drat attention on it. If you take one piece of advice away from this, it should be that one: you don't have to be nice to us, but be nice to your loving story and it'll reward you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

This started because an rear end in a top hat told me not to write. That goes opposite to the point you, SM, tried to just make.
SA Proptip: if a guy with a negative postcount is making fun of you, don't take it too seriously. Crabrock is hella FYAD.

Cache Cab posted:

I'm not sure how someone would know if I was making a spell mistake, since any magic systems I use in any future stories will be entirely original. But I don't write a lot of fantasy fiction anyway.
But you didn't write a fantasy story, and you used words like 'Hooolywood'. :confused:

• Locked thread