Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Just curious but I was thinking about DnD and Fantasy in general and how it often handled gods, demi gods and spirits. One thing that came to mind was how would one potentially go about writing such creatures? I can easily see the idea of making them totally alien in point of view and how they operate. However what if you wanted to make them relatable? I'm wondering how people would approach that given you may have beings of great power that may be millions of years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is it bad that I feel a little put off given the recent drama? I don't know, between that massive blowup in that other thread and what Martello said about stories just being dismissed, I feel really put off about posting here. I know it's silly but I dunno, it just feels a bit worrying. Not to say critique is valueless of course but yeah.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

Dude. What are you talking about? Which blowup are you referring to? Who's dismissing stories? I said Stabbey sometimes gives lovely crits to the effect of "this story sucks," but I don't think that stories are generally being dismissed across the board. Even Stabbey gives good feedback when the spirit moves him or whatever. What do you mean by that last sentence? Critique is what we want here, I thought?

Oh I just saw:

quote:

In all fairness, dude, I've definitely seen some crits from you that went something like "I didn't like this and the story didn't work NEXT" which isn't exactly helpful.

It spooked me a little but it's no big deal. I'm sure people will be fine, critique wise. :)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I'm really sorry. I didn't want to make a fuss or imply I was against critique. I guess it's just the idea of someone dismissing something outright without even an inkling on how to improve it, was most worrying to me. I understand what was mean now, so no problem. :)

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 5, 2012

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

Maxwell, enter the Thunderdome instead of talking about zombie titles. :getin:

I would but potentially having a custom title for being judged the loser is a real turn off. I everyone in there has a good time though. Also the advice you gave a little while back has been extremely useful.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nautatrol Rx posted:

I wouldn't try to actually start a career in writing if a custom title can break your ego. Then again, someone who couldn't handle that probably wouldn't make it at McDonalds either.

You would only get the title for being the worst which is a subjective. If that is your concern, you have no business in the field.

Edited for some clarity.

Why are you being so aggressive for one thing I said? I didn't exactly smear anyone doing it, gently caress I even wished them luck.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In all honesty do you hold that view though? I'm not trying to pick a fight or poo poo up the thread, I'm just curious.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
If I am not able to handle it, does that imply you guys don't want anyone who can't, to write at all? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth nor am I saying that that's how I feel about it but that feels like one of the implications of both of your statements.

I admit part of me is tempted to post a thread but I haven't had critique in a while (havent written in a while) and I'm really worried I might just shatter and close the thread. Then people get to attack me which will only make things shittier.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 8, 2012

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for the help, I understand what you guys are saying more clearly now. Good to see I started an interesting side discussion, too. I've got a lot of things to think about now. Not much else I can say right now but I appreciated the interesting points.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
HiddenGecko brought up an interesting thought:

HiddenGecko posted:

...People cut off words, cut each other off..

What is the best way to show this in prose? Would it be like something such as:

'Look, maybe if we give this a cha-'

'No it just wont work' John interrupted.

I know that 'Said' is usually a better fallback word but I am wondering how to make it clear that it's an interruption. I feels like character voice would play a large part in helping identify people in this interruption.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Mhm, it feels like as long as you have decent character voices and it's clear who is speaking in that convocation, it should be fine.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nautatrol Rx posted:

It's "--" unless it is in modern, computer controlled print like in a word processor.

It's the difference between potato-rear end in a top hat and potato--rear end in a top hat.

No loving wonder you mentioned getting a shitton of rejection letters. You were spewing potato filled novels on the poor sods.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

That makes sense. Though, I was under the impression that you should generally stay away from ellipsis? Then again It's usually doing it....like....this that gets warned away from.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What's the point of having an Advice and Discussion thread if you're just going to tar and feather anyone who is actually asking advice or have a flaw that you personally have a petty gripe with?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Ah that makes it sound far more clear. At first the last page gave the impression that if you say something mistaken, you'd get metaphorically lacerated and given a custom image (outside of fun events like the Thunderdome)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

Yeah, pretty much. If you say something blazingly retarded, people are going to mock you and spend money to do it as well.

Oh then that's slightly disappointing. I was under the impression one of the purposes of an Advice thread was to prevent you applying something done incorrectly or stupidly, to something actually mattered.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I had no idea that, that many people asked that specific question. I've only seen it come up this time yet I'm sure it came up in earlier thread iterations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

...since I'm an active-duty soldier and a military history buff, you better have your military poo poo squared away for future Thunderdome offerings.

I am just curious but when you say 'military history buff' do you just have a general interest, regardless of type or period, or is there something specific you enjoy focusing on?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

I'm generally interested in military history for personal as well as professional reasons. I focus on modern military history/science back to WWII, as well as Europe in most of the Middle Ages, and Tokugawa Japan. I have a decent overall understanding of global mil-history, so it's easy for me to research a specific thing and understand the context.

That is interesting to hear and though unrelated and not aimed at you:

It's a real shame that a lot of budding writers who write military fiction tend to just swallow up the reader in a sea of abbreviations, dry military specifications and just general facts. Now if you're reading that genre you may be accustomed to that but it can still make souless, boring story. Strong concepts have been soured by this (The Salvation War).

I feel like a lot of people fail to remember there are actual people behind those machines and they had experiences with said equipment that can make for interesting storytelling and scenes. Desperately trying to get a track repaired to hunting a merchantmen in a U-boat are all examples of what can create conflicts, even with characters.

Hell even the origins of whatever super amazing warmachine 5000 can be interesting rather than the a spec dump. Take the forming of the Bradley or the poo poo went on in creating battleships to various interests.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I need the help of any TFR (or just firearm knowledgeable Goons). If I wanted a character to have a small, easily concealed pistol, what would be most feasible? Decent (well for a pistol stopping power would be a nice bonus but I am not sure) former mentioned qualities can co-exist with that.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 13, 2012

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sadly I can't send PMs but I'm willing to wait. :)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Modern day, upper middle class American. Probably buying American but I can't imagine he'd be a prude on specific brand. A civilian though. Hope that makes it a little more clear.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Limited but not non existent. His father used to own a few pistols and shotguns. I'd imagine this guy would be the sort who would not be totally clueless but would on the side of buying something fancy; if on the side of purchasing something above his needs. The sort of who, when buys something goes for all the smitten and deluxe options. As said, I'd say upper middle class but not a mansion owning CEO or anything.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

Have him buy some kind of Kimber Custom 1911 compact model. Kimber is "the" custom 1911 company, and the Colt 1911 is "the" tough-guy AMERICAN pistol. .45 ACP round will kill pretty much anything, especially with the right expanding bullet. Take a look at these little guys. This is the Kimber Carry line, specially made for concealed carry (duh). The Ultra, Ultra HD and Ultra + are the ones you want. All three sound pretty cool, so that's also a plus. "Bobby reached into his duffel coat and pulled out his Kimber Ultra HD." Or summat. You can really just look up "compact 1911" on Google and use whatever cool gun catches yer eye.

Thanks for that. I was going to mention that if we do have a weapon thread, it should be more of a Technical Thread so you leave room for general machinery, certain systems etc.

PS: Also do pistols get much more expensive then those deluxe models?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

Can we please take the gun chat outside? There's better places to ask these kinds of questions, like the newbie thread in TFR.

To be fair, if I wanted info on rocket science, I'd go find a physics forum and ask a bunch of experts. If I wanted to know everything about horses, I'd go find a horse forum.

That's absolutely fine. In fact If we do get a Technical Questions thread then it should stop such questions clogging up this thread.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I feel like this should be the time we get the CC writers IRC channel back up and running for sprints and other activities. I won't be doing the full 50k word thing but I'll be using Nano and the month as incentive to hunker down on a project I've already started. Would be up for hanging with other writers for ideas and critiques for the month.

I would be for resurrecting the CC's IRC channel too. I intend to do Nanowrimo as I've been procrastinating like mad and, well Nano is a great chance to play around with concepts that you'd not normally do.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Nanowrimo is an amazing excuse to try and get some writing out there. I mean sure it may be terrible but given natural talent, most people can or can't produce good stuff regardless.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
All I'm saying is that no matter how much effort you put in, inherent ability is going to end up pushing people further and said people generally being more skilled authors, no matter how those who don't, try.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Maybe I was too overzealous in saying that natural talent beats actual practice/skill (I know it's bullshit). It just feels frustrating how some people just seem to sail through their writing while others hit their heads against a brick wall.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 30, 2012

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Martello posted:

Just write something. Usually the best way to get a story done is by writing it. Stop thinking and sperging about writing and actually write something.

To be brutally honest though, in the end a lot of good writing comes from inherent talent. You can practice all you want but if you don't have the ability, no matter what effort you put in, you'll just be 'alrigh't at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Holy poo poo the Thunderdome reminds me why I should never ever bother trying to upload stuff here.

• Locked thread