Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Speaking of writing boring scenes, how would you go about writing a ... well a "montage" scene?

Not necessarily the inspiring kind with :rock: Eye of the Tiger :rock: over it, but the more homely/drab kind you might see in some movies where the scene follows the protagonist through an ordinary evening or something else mundane.

Not something you might want to spend a lot of time on (See: boring), but might be necessary to set the mood or contrast to following scenes.

There's certainly some limitations compared to what a motion picture can do with such a scene (sound obviously, harder to do narration at the same time...).

I find that it can be a powerful thing done right but well... I don't have the writing experience to quite know how to approach it properly.

It's poetry, not prose, but "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is what I think of when I consider the montage scene written down. I think Eliot makes it work by humanizing the narrator and making them an explicit commentator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread