Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yes, Jabrosky, enter the Thunderdome. There is nothing there but happiness and cool dudes for your muse. You might also get an awesome custom title (and avatar if you're amazing enough!)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

bengraven posted:

Anyone already planning what to write for NaNo?

It's coming up fast!

What is this 'planning' thing you're talking about? NaNoWriMo is about the writing, man. Not this planning, outlining, thinking bull. When November starts I'm just going to spew 1667 words directly from my brain to the monitor and I won't look back until November is over.

The embarrassment from the poo poo I've written comes after that.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
^ isn't toxxes automatically done?

Yeah, I would be interested in a 'toxx for posting 1000 (or some other amount) words' thread. I think in 2010 I logged in to https://750words.com, which basically forces me by way of prizes and stats to write at least 750 words a day. There would be badges the longer I keep the streak of daily writing. There was like, a phoenix badge if you could do it for 200 days straight. I was getting past 100 days (written two novellas too) before the time difference between my home country and Australia fooled me and I missed a day. I...just can't force myself to continue after that. Maybe the thread of ban/permaban would help kick me in the nuts.

How would the edit/refine the previous day's writing work, though?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Well, yeah. When Thunderdome's available, why would you post in inferior threads? :smugbert:

Seriously though, what do you mean? Is it about the (possibly harsh) criticisms meted out in Thunderdome, brief as they are? Is it that you're afraid of being a loser? I can't imagine any other aspects of Thunderdome that would deter you from uploading your writings in this subforum. Besides the reason I made in jest above.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 12, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Sid Vicious posted:

I sometimes have problems staying in tense and perspective, and I would just like some criticism and advice on a short story I wrote recently.

How long is the story? Under 1000 words, post it at the Fiction Farm, your local hub for short shorts. Above 1000 words, you're going to have to make your own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
^two suns what the sky?

I honestly wouldn't be able to picture the suns from the phrase 'lopsided squint', especially their size relative to each other. I also don't know how 'squint' apply to suns, as in normal applications 'squinting' either refers to eyes not being properly aligned or partly closed. The former definition might apply to binary suns if they're not aligned but again it doesn't help regarding their size. Then again, what is the 'proper' alignment for binary suns?

I admit I might be a bit too literal, but the point remains: if that is the first line of your story, I'd be utterly confused.

Also adding to what crabrock said, is this 'lopsided squint' a significant change to the status quo? Do the sizes and positions of the suns incite the action? Why do the character find the condition of the suns worthy of note?

• Locked thread