Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
So after spending a bunch of time merely thinking and reading about writing, I finally worked up the courage to actually write my first sentence of my first draft of my first story ever :ohdear:. It's both scary and exciting because on the one hand I know that I have a lot of work to do before I write anything good (or even complete), but on the other hand I can only improve from here (if you consider any writing better than no writing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

systran posted:

You should definitely start doing weekly entries to the Thunderdome. You'll get really good/honest crit and fun prompts.
Is the Thunderdome a good place for an absolute beginner to get basic practice without being run out of town for lack of experience? I ask this because I'd really like to get into creative writing, but I've been exclusively been writing academic reports and essays for so many years now that it's like trying to learn a foreign language. I feel really lost and I'd like to get feedback as I go to know what I'm doing wrong (and right), but I just don't know where to start. I see a lot of people being directed to the Thunderdome, but as a beginner I'm frightened by the competitive aspect and the idea of having my embarrassing early attempts at writing publicly disemboweled. Am I just being a ninny? Does it make men out of boys?

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to be watching the prompts in the coming weeks with an eye toward entering.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

systran posted:

I'm not a good writer but it's troubling that you have no desire to do short fiction. Doing short fiction lets you try out different concepts and allows you to work something to completion in a short amount of time. You don't want to spend four months writing your sprawling epic and then finally show it to someone only to have them say "This is terrible." There was a thread on here (the translation adventures one) where this more or less happened. If you do short fiction you can spend a week or just a few days writing 1200 words, have someone tell you it is terrible and why, then you can write something else that addresses those problems.

If you are learning to paint you go to a life drawing class and start out with two-minute gesture drawings using chalk or charcoal.

I agree with this completely. I wasn't particularly interested in short fiction either, but then I entered the Thunderdome and saw that it's a really excellent way to be forced to try lots of different things and find out which aspects of your writing are terrible/need work. It also helped me realize that I have no business writing an entire novel until I greatly improve in skill across the board.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Do y'all have any advice for any honest to god new writers? I got it into my head to learn some basic fiction writing (I'm a fine nonfiction writer) but as soon as I actually sat down to try and write I froze up with anxiety and insecurity and ignorance. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions?

I'm going to beat the seasoned writers to the punch and say it: Join Thunderdome. I was in your exact situation three Thunderdomes ago. You get lots of feedback, good prompts, and solid deadlines. Signups are still open for this week, too!

SpaceGodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 4, 2013

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

Okay now you're just kicking a dead horse.

No, pointing out an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

For countless detailed drug trip descriptions (including combinations, etc.), go to Erowid. For the other stuff, read trashy tabloid sites like TMZ and Perez Hilton.

• Locked thread