Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'll start one when I get home today. Should it be in this subforum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
NaNo 2016 thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793864

I hope everyone votes in the poll!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If you want to write fiction set in a culture you're unfamiliar with, what are reliable academic resources to get a feel for history and practices?

HIJK fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 7, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

General Battuta posted:

You absolutely have to find some primary sources written by people from that culture. It's the only way to get it even a bit right.

I will get to hunting, thanks man

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
You have to read what you like.

The common factor with people who break the mold is that they looked at what they liked and then they asked themselves "what can I do differently in this genre?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
But if its a true utopia than nothing is going to happen. DS9 pointed out how foolish that was and that the Federation still had problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Surprised nobody has brought up The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, though I think it would take some seriously crazy chops to keep that conceit rolling for an entire novel. (edit: TooMuchAbstraction mentioned it actually, my bad)

I think a lot of interesting conflict w/r/t utopian societies can come from that general wellspring - they are fundamentally egalitarian, which doesn't mean have to mean things are perfect (or even good) for everyone.

But doesn't that mean it isn't actually a utopia?

• Locked thread