Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Stuporstar posted:

Read. Read more. Read inside your favorite genre, and broaden your tastes outside your genre. Read character driven fiction. Read novels and short stories instead of devouring nothing but comics, games, and movies. You’ll develop a better eye for writing stories as you read them.

Out of curiosity has anyone mentioned that there is an advantage in deliberately reading poorly written literature?

I've got this awful steampunk book on my desk at work titled 'Leviathan.' I have no idea how it got published. It's cliche and obtuse in a genre that is already bloated with uninspired storytelling and get out of plot free devices. Not saying there isn't great steampunk...but there is way more awful steampunk.

Having things that inspire are great, but sometimes you need to have obvious examples of what not to do.

EDIT: Also looking for crit on something I turned out from nowhere last night. Looking at it I think my composition is at least better than 'sophomoric' but would like to know what others think about it.

EDIT 2: Discussion Topic
Also, what do you do when you see someone giving out legitimately bad advice to people who don't otherwise know better?

EXAMPLE: A yet to be revealed and self-professed 'writing expert' likes to beat it into people's heads that all dialogue (even in the same paragraph) needs to be preceeded or followed by 'said/replied/etc' and the character speaking needs to be indicated. Short of popping into the thread and saying 'No, you don't...that's silly and boring and overbearing for any audience above the age of 6' I can't think of anything. It seems like a dick move...but it hurts to see people get excited at getting bad advice. If there's something I feel someone should be called out on I feel as though it's important to be willing to do so publicly.

Private Messages to the victim of the bad advice are obviously an option but that seems underhanded, and rude to do so unsolicited.

And yes, I have approached the offending party only to be dismissed offhandedly and told I was stupid and should mind my own business. I don't even follow this person's work specifically, but I see it being shared by others constantly.

Also, aforementioned source likes to make poo poo up when they are asked about topics that they have no insight or knowledge of (usually things in the technical spectrum/details about technology/legal procedure/etc).

So I pose the question:
How do you handle this situation tactfully when the other party is unwilling to admit that there is even a chance they are wrong?

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Not on SA to my knowledge, but I'll pitch it to them. Doubtful they will accept though.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

1) For the time spent, you're going to get a lot more out of reading well written literature than reading poorly written literature. Reading poorly written literature is going to give you way more fodder for stroking your own ego though!

2) Assuming you mean Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, I am not surprised that it got published, or that it won multiple awards (which it did), or that it sold well (which it also did). A lot of my lack-of-surprise is based on my own enjoyment of it. I read a lot of YA speculative fiction. On a recent vacation, I set out to read only YA books that featured a girl disguising herself as a boy so she could join the army. It wasn't hard to find several. I added the Leviathan audiobook because I enjoyed reading it enough to listen to it, too. This was after a failed endeavor to only read books in which teenagers could turn into dragons....

Anyway, the setting and set-up of Leviathan was not particularly cliched, even for a book relying on the girl-disguised-as-boy trope (haha, Shakespeare destroyed that one 400 years ago, losers) or a book set on a zeppelin. I mean, the Zeppelin is a loving giant whale, after all. I'm not sure what aspects of the book you found obtuse, either. The characters and conflicts are set out pretty clearly. It's a very straightforward story.

EDIT:

lol

call them out in this thread and have a multi-page passionate argument about it. (tell everyone to read more/write more/join thunderdome)

I do realize I sort of spammed things in regards to that, and wish I would have revised the OP before posting it. Instead I will showcase the poo poo in my own writing.

I do agree that there is way more bang for your buck in terms of good literature. But that doesn't mean there's no value in the bad stuff.

I shall bring them to the Thunderdome if they are willing. I will bring all to the thunderdome.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

magnificent7 posted:

David Wong kills it at descriptions. "I loving hate healthy food. Just look at my fat gut." Stuff like that.

As in David Wong of Cracked Notoriety?

That dude rules hard. Every one of his 'Growing Up Poor' articles kicks me in the in the rear end when it comes to actually producing things and trying to improve as a writer and person.

Also the annual repost of the Glengarry Glenross speech every year has been fantastic.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

magnificent7 posted:

Yes, but more importantly of the "This Book Is Full Of Spiders" and "John Dies In The End".

Spiders has got to be one of my favorite books where the author breaks so many rules about writing. drat near every dialog tag is in front:
I said, "gently caress you."
She said, "No, gently caress you."

I really want to write him an email and ask how many times he told editors to leave it like that.

I've read John Dies but not Spiders. Honestly I love everything about Wong as a writer and human. Despite the current editors and staff writers being largely responsible for the proliferation of the Listicle Cracked is stacked with great fiction writers. Their writers workshop is on the whole fantastic too.

Daniel Obrien's How To Fight Presidents is a loving gem.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

ravenkult posted:

Man, I really wouldn't use Wong as an example of good writing. I liked John Dies at the End, but he's really not a good writer. He's a fun writer though.

There's a difference between 'technically good' and 'effective' writing in my mind. Rules can be broken and sometimes it helps keep the flow of the story and keep things interesting. You can be a great writer without rigidly adhering to the 'conventions' of literature. All that matters in the end is that your narrative is intelligible and engaging. Fun writing is good writing to more than a few people. That isn't to say that you're wrong in your interpretation of good writing, but the weight you place on convention and classical composition in terms of readability. That stuff matters to me up until the point it makes the prose bland and predictable and stifles the author's voice.

Case in point: My 3 favorite writers are Douglas Adams, Frank Herbert, and Chuck P. (Judge me) All three of them are best sellers. All three are revered within their genres. All three of them have completely different 'rules' their stories adhere to. By most people's standards they ARE amongst the great minds of their Genre and literature in general.

Chuck Wendig just uploaded a really great blog pretty much stating that all advice about writing (even his own) is essentially bullshit and there has never been a science to fiction. The gist is the 'rules' people put out aren't universal to anybody but themselves because thousands of writers have become best sellers breaking the rules. It's way more than that in reality but all in all it was a fantastic read.

I really dug it, will edit later with link.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 12, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

General Battuta posted:

I agree with Wendig but at the same time it's frustrating to try to explain that no, your prose is Actually Bad, it's not that I've misunderstood your stylistic decisions. I do feel there's...something, even if it's hard to pin down, a clear sense of prose that works and prose that doesn't.

True. There is definitely bad prose, I would argue that there is prose that is universally unreadable. The thing is you don't know that until you read it and determine it would be less painful to beat yourself with the book rather than read it. Also there is probably a respectable amount of fiction that adheres to conventional wisdom but is utterly unreadable due to awful cliches or being completely uninspired.

I think the point is to not dismiss something as bad because of deviations from the norm. Dismiss it as bad because it conveys the story/tone/characters in a lovely way Or doesn't resolve conflicts effectively due to lack of structure or organization. Many the classics we revere in any medium broke established rules too.

Think that's it

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

When I drive on the highway, I do it naked, my body covered in fat, glistening leeches, and there is a clown in my back seat who honks a bicycle horn in my ear every time a stop sign comes near. When I stop, I vigorously scream along to a fifteen second loop of Gregorian chanting from my 1990's-era MP3 player. Meanwhile, there is a Venezuelan man huddled in the trunk of my car, feverishly protecting an aged slab of beef he is convinced will grant him seven wishes.

This shows in my writing. I am not a good writer. I also do not have my license.

Can this be a Thunderdome Prompt? 1000 word first person retrospective on the events leading up to this situation?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Stuporstar posted:

You will know when it's time to break the rules, because you will know the rule and why you're breaking it.

But you will only know if you did so successfully if people read your work and they tell you—or if you make tons of money on it, whatevs.

So many Oprah book club authors got rich on legitimately bad writing.

A million little pieces comes to mind.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Megazver posted:

secret griffin sex cult

I'm still holding out on members for my High Fantasy Indie Band "Gryphons Drink Lattes"

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Oh god my Thunderdome submission was sooo bad this week.

Like I know what was bad with it (everything) but I don't know how I let it happen.

I swear I'm better than that.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

ravenkult posted:

I know ya'll are going ''I don't want to read the classics'' and everything, but just find something that you think might appeal to you and read it. You'll learn a lot. If you're writing fantasy epics and all you read is fantasy epics that's all well and good, but if you can stomach to read a couple of Hemingway novels, maybe some Kafka, or just some Elroy, I guarantee you they will put tools in your toolbox you will never get from fantasy books, even if you read five thousand of them.

Moby Dick is a hard read to get started, but once you break 100 pages it's super engaging.

Also, it helps to listen to sea shanties and the decemberists while doing so.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Doesn't Anne Macaffrey have a situation where one character's riding-dragon mates another character's riding dragon, so now the first character can claim the other character as his own without her approval?

Write the scenes you want, put off the ones that don't, and find a way to connect them as time goes on. That's the advice I've read in this in thread, and it works for a lot of people for what that's worth. And add as much detail as you like in the first draft, then add or preferably remove some as you go through later drafts.

A first draft is like carving a hunk of rock from a wall, with subsequent drafts cutting away the dross and chiseling in the features and adding polish until you have your ideal carving.

Look up how SCRUM/Iterative Design work in software development. It's helped me a lot in the first few drafts in terms of cranking out content.

Basically the way I've been doing things is

Iteration 1
These are my characters
This is the basic plot.
This is them moving towards their goal
New Character introduced here
More motivations explained
These are some cool scenes I have planned
Here's how I want things to end.

All of this is in a really loose narrative.

Then I read through that, figure out what's missing plot/character wise.

Then I throw on overwrite and go through and turn it into prose.

Read through it again and figure out what I'm missing/what can be cut.

RANDOM DISCLAIMER
I've done this with a few spec/stage scripts and am working on bringing it into the post-apocalyptic style novel I am writing.

It worked REALLY well for the scripts, the transition to prose hasn't been as smooth and I'm still working out the kinks/figuring out what I would change.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

HopperUK posted:

I think there's actually an argument to be made that Ice and Fire gives a lot of attention to the damage the world's misogyny is doing to Westerosi culture in general and the characters in it, men and women both, in particular. There are male characters who don't fit the patriarchal norm who are ruined by it. There are women who don't fit the norm who are variously corrupted and destroyed by it. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it feminist, but at least Martin seems to appreciate the idea that pseudo-historical misogyny was completely hosed up.

And then you have Baelish. Who says gently caress all that noise I don't need gender roles just power, and people to gently caress with.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
NaNoWriMo...

Has it helped any Goons? I'm debating doing it, have a lot of planned out/plotted stuff that needs to be turned into prose but is currently scribbles and flow charts in a notebook that I think would be perfect for this.

50k words no editing is a little more than 1500 words per day in a 30 month sprint?

It seems like a reasonable goal.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Got new reading material for work. A Canticle For Liebowitz, The Road, And Foundation (sci-fi but I .

Mad Max has renewed my love for post apocalyptic and I want to write it now...so I figured I'd learn from the best.

Combine that with the Tank Girl comics I've scored and I have a lot of inspiration to get through.

Want to bring more than in-genre influences. Any suggestions for books/conveying a rough and tumble feeling without coming off as cheesy. Basically my core cast has found a way to make living in the wasteland enjoyable at times but they still deal with hardships and aren't always cracking jokes.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
The following is a bunch of :words: most of which I barely remember writing. I'm not sure what happened, I just sort of unloaded a bunch of brain stuffs that I'm not sure. I think in all honesty the words below are the cognitive equivalent to file recovery or some poo poo with computers.

General Battuta posted:

When you log line/elevator pitch your story, tell me who the protagonist is, what they want, and why they can't get it. Or something else that gets at the conflict of the story.

IIRC pretty much every industry source I've read says that your elevator pitch is JUST AS IF NOT MORE IMPORTANT/i] than your actual manuscript/spec as it is a microcosm of your storytelling ability. If your characters and plot can't make a 2/5/10/15 minute interview/100 words worth of query letter engaging how can anyone expect it to fill 2 hours/50k words?

Knowing this I plan on packaging any crit requests on SA with as strong a pitch as I can muster. Feel free to tear me apart on the same points that I while be bringing up below.

FAKEEDITREALTALK: I've jumped all over the place writing this reply...and got carried away with it, it's just something I care about and ...I am willing to admit that this is either probably pretentious, condescending, or contrived/cliche bullshit, but that's what you get out me when I'm running on low sleep (deliberately) and time-release amphetamine salts. (legally prescribed and taken only as directed(seriously)).

Look at writing industry standards for submission/review.
Manuscript - First 250 Words...Roughly 10% of your first chapter and likely a smaller percentage of your total book.
Spec Script - First 10 Pages...7-10% of a feature length depending on format.
Short Story - I'm wholly unfamiliar as to how publications/mags screen the submissions they receive. You've probably don't have much more than a one-liner similar to a Thunderdome prompt to get them to read your first paragraph, and that first paragraph is all you have to impress them.
Editorial - Headline and first 1-3 paragraphs
List Format Article - Headline/List Name, List Item Excerpt (Cracked is a good place to pick up on editorial techniques)
Buzzfeed - List Title and first 10 entries (5-15 words)

chthonic bell posted:

It'd be helpful if you actually gave crit, if you think my writing is bad.
If you don't want to, that's okay, you don't have to. But making PA comments like this and then shitposting in my gdoc is just crass, IMO.
No one is going to mince(<- possible homophone error?) words here, which is why it's better than most of the critiques you'll find on the internet...especially social media. Squares' "passive aggressive" comment was legitimate feedback that was taken by you as an attack on your character. I think people Your elevator pitch sucks, and I agree that it does not bode well for the 3k words that come after it. I openly admit that the fiction I've posted here has been mostly received as poo poo, Pitches are all sales and marketing and I'm definitely strong in that arena. <-The strike through here is because after reading through the post. If it offends you you're well within your rights to be offended, before committing to that though remember that when goons post here they aren't chasing fake internet points (likes/favorites/reblogs/mentions/retweets/etc) and they're not afraid to discuss who is wrong and why. Glancing at your first chapter...episode you've got some...not quite all...of my bad... writing habits...from before ... quit writing out of...frustration at my financial/computer situation. One of them stands out the most. Also I lack subtlety, Ellipses aren't commas.

Here's a breakdown of my beef with the pitch.

quote:

It is summer. The city of Wurmwald, so recently called Chervey, bakes in the oppressive heat and languishes under the colonial rule of the brutal Ormic Empire. There is unrest in the streets and chaos in the Parliament.
Every time I read this line it manages to get worse. This first sentence adds nothing of value to your product. I'm too polite to not let you finish...but no bullshit this pitch became background noise after 'It is.' I'm not going to just leave you hanging at 'It's bad' (it''s bad, but not hopeless) so here's my input as to what's wrong with your pitch...and some ideas on how to make it fit the p

"It is Summer" - "Who Cares"
I'm not a passive voice fascist...there are times and places to use it but never when you're trying to hype someone on something. Who cares? I have no clue how this affects any of your characters because I haven't met them yet.

Out Of Context Geographical Information
City Of Wurmwald - Abstract names are worthless out of context. Don't waste syllables on fluff when you're cutting into the downtime of someone who doesn't know you. Personally I'd guess the story was an adapted home-brew D&D campaign.
"unrest in the streets" - Is information for a bigger pitch.
Biggest Gripes
[i]so recently languishes under the colonial rule...Ormic Empire...Parliament
- Again Names. You play the empire/government as an antagonist but when you describe it as a setting and not a force of injustice/brutality it still just white noise to me.

quote:

The Menelik twins — beautiful, bewitching Anzu and his wry, one-eyed sister Siris — arrive in Wurmwald amid this tumult. They flee a brutal hunter who wants more than just their lives. The twins are changelings, descendants of a powerful, immortal being and there are many uses for a changeling’s Flesh and Spirit. The hunter is relentless, merciless and almost mythic in reputation. What hope do the twins have against him?
We found the information you wanted us to give a poo poo about but it's buried under a mess of erroneous information, and suffers from weak voice because of that. If there were any coherent sequence to this blurb it would make a great log line after just a tiny bit of retooling.

EDIT: You cleaned this up quite a bit later. All in all it's a lot better and I'll address it later.

quote:

More than the hunter knows. With the reluctant help of Xomael Kagan, a writer of pulp horror, and Mogila Molotova, a novice witch, the twins plot to face their pursuer and turn the tables on him. But will this fragile alliance survive after the truth of the twins’ past comes to light? After all, one does not attract the attention of a hunter without an interesting life …
We don't care about the hunter enough yet to worry about dramatic Irony.
Names Again

Oh poo poo, I spent like 4-5 Hours on this possible poo poo post. I've still got Thunderdome/poo poo To Do. Why did I do that?
:goatdrugs: Sleep Deprivation and Amphetamines An Odd Mix. :goatdrugs:
These are Legal..I mentioned earlier because I'm afraid of judgement. I'm not [url=http://www.peterharrington.co.uk/rare-books/english-literature-pre-1900/the-posthumous-papers-of-the-pickwick-club-34/]doing lines off of 17th Century Classics Like I imagine UK Bookgoons do daily.
While all of the above is technically true the honest answer is I as a writer want to learn, and grow, and poo poo talk, and brawl with all of you and steal all the followers of the countless self indulgent Writing Tips/Thinly Veiled Fanfic/Borderline Plagiarism blogs that litter Tumblr.

I had planned on linking a specific blog but decided that would have been a dick move. I've stopped advice blogging until I improve and can put my money where my mouth is.

That's a bit better of a post.
Honestly you should have seen the mess this thing was. I'd imagine it peaked at about 5k words and was just a mess.
It still a mess but at least it makes sense.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 12, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

General Battuta posted:

:catstare: but also it's true, when you are trying to sell your novel most agents will expect to reject you after the first three paragraphs of your query letter. They won't even look at your manuscript.

You need to win them over in those three paragraphs. It's an art. I recommend reading a lot of QueryShark.

Yes...this is definitely true as well.

You need to hook them as soon as possible. Agents are the risk takers so you need to sell them on stories...not style.

Elevator Pitch posted:

Two former death cultists and necromancers arrive in a city languishing under a colonial regime, fleeing a brutal bounty hunter who wants more than just their lives. The Menelik twins beautiful, bewitching Anzu and his wry, one-eyed sister Siris -- are changelings, descendants of a mortal man and an immortal shoggot. There are many uses for such a creature's Flesh and Spirit. The twins' dark past has marked them out as undesirables, beyond the protection of the law and unlikely to be missed should they be harvested. The bounty hunter is merciless, relentless and almost mythic in reputation. Amid the political tumult of the sweltering city, what hope do they have against him?

More than the hunter counts on. With the help of Xomael Kagan, a sickly writer of pulp horror and homoerotic bodice-rippers, and Mogila Molotova a novice witch who (does something) at a (steam dildo/changeling leather/bondage gear)Factory, the twins plot to face their adversary and turn the tables on him. But will this fragile alliance and Xomael's growing affection for the foppish Anzu survive when the truth of the twins' past deeds comes to light?

Much better, but always look at this and think "What can I make stronger?"

death cultists - More info without context. Most people know and understand what a necromancer is...but Death Cult flips the Fanfic alarm in my brain.
fleeing a brutal bounty hunter The bounty hunter is merciless, relentless and almost mythic in reputation<- I like that you're trying to play up the threat of the bounty hunter, but don't break it up. Keep character's and their relevant conflicts together. The city isn't the primary threat to the twins the Hunter is. Put these two together.
who wants more than just their livesErroneous - The bounty hunter's traits are handled by brutal/mythic/etc.

If you insist on the whole 'Changeling Flesh/Spirit' has value, incorporate it somewhere else. I have a feeling it's pretty important to you as it's always included, but you're not tying it into any of the character's motivations.
EX. The Menelik Twins are changelings, hybrid beings who are killed (cause they taste good, make great sex dolls, are made of potion ingredients, for their vital/herbal essence)
Use it to establish the conflict between the twins and the hunter and highlight the indifference/brutality of the Empire. It's good information that has context...but the context isn't clear based on where you have it.

Do not ask questions of the reader outside of your manuscript. Maybe on a dust cover, which I think this has more potential as. Make those questions statements to add confidence.
"poo poo Seems Hopeless"
"The twin's secrets could totally gently caress with their alliance bruh"

and Xomael's growing affection for the foppish Anzu survive <- If this is not erotica do not include romantic themes in your promotional materials at the risk of being lumped into that mess.

tumult <- gently caress this Word I hate this word when used as a noun especially at the end of a sentence. That's just me though. It sits just below 'kind' on the list of words that I don't like.

No one cares about spoilers in any of the promotion this would be used on. None of the things you're being vague about should be treated this way.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 12, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

crabrock posted:

you are trolling this thread, and there's no way I will ever not believe that.

If so I'm going to be pissed. I wasted thunderdome time if that's the case.

Having a website (wordpress) was a masterstroke of trolling.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I have very little faith that this is not trolling.
CRABROCK is probably right.
Or worse...fan fiction.

Do it.

EDIT: Was being a dick...am aware of it...am sorry.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 13, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

im going to take advice from the guy who is actually accomplished itt

That's the best choice.

Who are the accomplished writers so I can give them money? Im out of unread books.

EDIT: Not implying that I'm a professional fiction writer. Stating that people who are published/self-published/Have completed a work of fiction should totally override my opinion.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 13, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

crabrock posted:

I'm Ska making a forums post:

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

angel opportunity posted:

that blurb is really good and makes me want to read it, but i see a dash instead of an em dash...

At least...it's not an..ellipse...

When I figure out where the hell my debit card went will do.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 13, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Hey Painted Bird,

I was in a really weird place (adjusting to higher dosage and awake for 36 hours) when I wrote that post yesterday and if I came off overly harsh I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be aggressive or anything.

I stand by the feedback I provided, but don't want you to think I was attacking you or concept. I like the motley crew of characters, and the story has potential now that the core concept is clear.

The "nobody cares about X" is strictly within the context of the blurb.

The two followup blurbs/digital dust covers you posted were tremendous improvements. I want to know more about these characters after reading those.
I like the second one better. The physical traits of the characters are still mostly unimportant. If you want to keep it streamline it a bit.
"Beautiful/Bewitching" hits my brain-ear weird. Stick to one adjective maybe?

The romantic allusion shifts my focus too hard. The first segment is telling me that the Twins are the POV I should be following, but then I'm hit with another double-adjective with Xomael* as the subject of the line.

Also the double adjectives are both in the same vein to where one pretty much implies the other.
Beautiful/Bewitching - Both imply innate/natural attractiveness
Foppish/Languid - Foppish is a good word but I'd worry that it's a bit TOO strong of a word for a blurb/front page based on potential audience. I had to double-check meaning my vocabulary is well above average. Also I default to the weak/faint definition of languid.

Seriously though :thumbsup: cause this is phenomenally better. Don't stop retooling it though. Nothing is ever as good as it can be.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is "Just write," but are there any specific drills/practices that help you guys work on making character voices sound distinct and easily distinguishable? I find that my dialogue is all super-generic, or heavily accented/specialized to the point of absurdity.

Read screenplays of movies with dialogue you like...and watch good television.

TV/Film is all about dialogue.
EDIT: Adding Suggestions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyjhM1vL9I <-Star Trek Next Generation has some great dialogues. Picard/Q is always a great dynamic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTB4NjBzK8c <-Deep Space 9 is full of fantastic "Human" interactions. Anything with Quark is sure to be solid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gquLZJpt-Q <-Far and Away the best dialogue in Game of Thrones this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZTNMQdb68 <-Burn Notice's dialogue is great, and the show is also useful for practical knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5znTCoKLPI <-Tom Waits' delivery can teach you a lot about pacing dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuzBLu_IZCw <-Scrubs has great timing/pacing with the comedic parts and the serious parts.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kfLdwL1t98 <-Seriously though. Watch Scrubs/Read Scrubs scripts. Take into account what is happening around your dialogue. Look at how in a screen/tele/stage play they introduce action to dialogue. Consider the context and tone of the dialogue and make your character's actions/body language reflect those stimuli.

If you're looking for a good source of shooting scripts The Script Lab Let's You Download Them For Free

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 18, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Omi no Kami posted:

This is actually more writing short stories for fun- weirdly enough, I find it way easier to write for games than I do to write in a purely prosaic setting.

Edit: Thank you for the recommendations! Studying is fun when it involves spies and spaceships.

9/10 times I don't like the dialogue in prose it's because the exposition gets thrown out of the window and a meaningful conversation just becomes :words:

I'd much rather read about 2 characters interacting with one another than just talking to each other (if that makes sense). There are plenty of exceptions, but when I see.

quote:

"Herp derp deflurgigoop." Said The Dude

"Fleurgigerp burp flurp bobidoo fladap." Ladydude replied.

"Hurgagrupap flargiggidytop schmurgalraf divgopfter schloms." Dude said smiling.

And it goes on for a significant portion of the scene I lose immersion. Go out and have real conversations...watch people at parties. You're trying to emulate real human interactions, people react to the things that are said to them.

Also read Dune...The dialogue in Dune is exceptionally tight.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 18, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

crabrock posted:

watch Buffy for a good example of dialogue.

Watch anything Joss Whedon did for a good example of dialogue.

Seriously though Buffy holds up on Story and dialogue.

It's all about finding a balance between exposition and dialogue. Try to avoid exposition that doesn't have an effect on the dialogue.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 18, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've started just replacing characters when I get stuck with dialogue, seeing what happens. Usually it's just for my own amusement but I quite often get ideas from it, even if it's just in terms of what not to do.
I've always wanted to see what the shooting script for an episode of Gilmore Girls looked like. I imagine 100 pages in 8pt Font based on how much loving dialogue they cram in.

GIlmore girls is a great example of what not to do with dialogue. It's all delivery and no setup.

And you don't have to imagine how it would translate to prose because The World Is An Awful Place.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

ravenkult posted:

Good dialogue: Scrubs and Buffy.
:psyduck:
You seem confused.

Also I was talking to my girlfriend about bad T.V. shows and she got quiet when I mentioned my disdain for the Girls of Gilmore.

So now I speak as quickly as possible and make sure half my conversation is completely without context to the situations we find ourselves in.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Chairchucker posted:

The Gilmore Girls is/are (both the show and the characters) cool and good you jive turkey.
It wasn't all bad but there was just so much rapid-fire nonsensical dialogue that served no purpose.

Parts of it were good but on the whole I was not a fan.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Squeeze as much music into your day as you can, I highly suggest doing so with wanton disregard for your hearing. Shuts the world out.

Sitting Here posted:

have you tried lsd

LSD is Kids stuff. Real inspiration comes from the Machine Elves, which you can only meet after imbibing the spice-drug DMT.

"Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Fire." - PROFESSOR Alan Watts describing his DMT experience.

There's also salvia which is both legal and insane and super fun and interesting while simultaneously being one of the most terrifying and enjoyable experiences all at once.

Not pressuring you into use of psychotropics btw. Not an experience to be taken lightly. They have helped me sort out some poo poo in the past though.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Whenever I have writer's block I usually eat a lot of fiber.

I think you mean whenever you're constipated. Unless you're saying you're writing is full of poo poo :smug:

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

General Battuta posted:

Walks are pro, so is noise.
Noise has a music scene where I'm from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TF9Rv-tMDs
I've had some great ideas come to me at noise shows.

blue squares posted:

Thought on not waiting to begin editing after finishing the draft? My novel manuscript is in a drawer waiting for me to take it out on August 1st. But that gives me only a month before school and work begin again. I really want to start working on it now. I already know many things I want to add and improve, and I don't think I am "too close" the work to be able to spot the flaws.
If you're worried about overlooking things because your brain fills in the holes because you've been looking at things too often change the font, margins, and orientation before printing it out. Helped me catch a lot of errors in the proofreading/revision stage of the first screenplay I wrote.

Martello posted:

I always listen to music when writing. Depends on my mood and what I'm writing but it could be anything from viking metal to Shadowrun Returns soundtrack to Armenian string music.
I for the longest time have wanted to develop a word processor that has plugins for youtube/spotify/itunes/streaming services. Having the music there is a necessity for a lot of people, having the web browser open is a focus-crusher distraction.

If any of you goons are programmers let me know, let's work on this together.

blue squares posted:

Daily walks come through again! I read my novel this morning, and I discovered that The middle was really boring. One hour into my downtown walk and I found my huge middle kaboom incident! Seriously, it is a HUGE relief. If you are ever stuck, get off your rear end and loving walk around!!
Read it on your phone while you walk around pumping the tunes! It's the combination of everything mentioned above.

SA:CC:FWAD - Getting poo poo done.

Broenheim posted:

I think if you have five PoV characters it'll confuse your reader. There's no hard rule on how many PoVs you can have, but I'd keep it as low as possible unless you have a good reason to move PoVs around. I don't know the length of what your writing, but I feel like switching between five different PoVs will start to become annoying for the reader no matter the length. PoV switches need to be heavily justified but if your story really does call for 5 PoVs and you think that's right, then try it out and see how it works. To me (based on no information on what your writing about), unless you are writing an extremely lengthy novel, five will get confusing and annoying to read. That's just me though and you should be open to experiment and see if it works.
I feel like high-numbers of POV characters work best in large stories or long-running serials. It slows down storytelling too much for me otherwise. It works in GOT because there is so much going on and so many forces at play that without them half of the poo poo that happens would be like 'how'.

Personally I think the biggest risk of going multi-POV is loose ends. Each new perspective runs the risk of veering off course from the central plot.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
True, but switching between tabs/windows is what usually kills me.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

sebmojo posted:

this is a great idea: pm crabrock he is a glorious techmonster

Crabrock if interested email me - Email address in profile

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 4, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

No, no no. See, people, this is why schizophrenics give bad writing advice (I kid). Seriously though, just because things are good separately doesn't mean they are good in combination. Please do not go for a walk while reading your book on your phone, it's dangerous; you'll get hit by car/fall down. Also, walks are for thinking, not reading. You read, figure out what you need to fix, then walk WITHOUT music and let your mind work.

Hey - None of that advice had anything to do with writing...just reading, walking and listening to music and therefore multi-tasking and time management skills.

Honestly though I don't listen to music while editing/revising especially because cleaning up words is way more intense than putting the first one down.

And I don't actually suggest looking down while walking either. Good way to get jumped. Even headphones are a bad idea, I don't have an iPod to prove it.

Also if you want a good example of lovely-everything in storytelling go watch Leverage. I couldn't make it 5 minutes through the pilot.

'IT'S LIKE AN AMERICAN VERSION OF HUSTLE.' - Said the person who was either a liar or had lovely taste.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 4, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

anime was right posted:

do mechanical keyboards make a difference when typing words? does it increase my WPM (words per minute, thats like Actions Per minute)

YES,

A Thousand Times Yes.

My WPM went from 40WPM on a rubber dome to close to at least an average of 60 on my mechanical. Fewer milstakes, more accurate, and just a super satisfying experience all around.
Personally I would suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-RK-9000-Cherry/dp/B004F38Y7Y
Here's mine with my baller purple alphanumeric keys.

It's super easy to clean too, the facep

I went with "blue" switches (color indicates resistance) because they're loud, clicky, and have tactile feedback when you actually engage the switch. This helps prevent you from bottoming out. Also they're higher resistance because I beat the poo poo out of my keyboard on a regular basis.

They're also heavy, which is nice if you get into a typing frenzy, as you aren't constantly adjusting your keyboard as it slides further away from you.

They're built super well, and if you have a key that goes bad you can just replace it super easy as you can order individual replacement switches and they just solder onto a PCB.

You can also find some group buys on keyboards and keycaps in quite a few places.
Massdrop is my go-to.

Point is:
Yes, mechanical keyboards are better than your average schmuck walmart or logitec board for many reasons.

Geekout Complete. I'll just slide back into the quiet obscurity that is my horrible work schedule. See you in like 3 weeks or so Goons and Thundergoons.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Shh.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lately I have been feeling the melancholy that comes with not doing enough with my time. I want to start writing again, but I am the opposite of an idea guy. I have two ideas for novels, but I want to start with shorter works. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or website of writing prompts? I tried that seventh whatever site in the resources thread, but I really didn't like its style. I know that's a useless criticism, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe too Mad Libs?

Thunderdome.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought about that after I posted. I'm honestly a little scared because I am a tremendous baby, but I guess if I wanted to avoid abrasive responses, I shouldn't have registered.

I'm going to miss this avatar.

If I have scraped by without losing in the few I've managed to get done you have nothing to worry about.

Also losertar is besttar.

Djeser posted:

I generally don't care about twist endings in published works but goons please stop writing twist endings in Thunderdome flash fiction thank you.
But what if the twist ending is executed literally?

Like the fabric of space-time literally twists and everybody looks all weird and disproportionate and they just sort of have to deal with it?
FAKE EDIT: Yes that is dumb, and I am dumb but I am not sorry.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My method, please do not steal:

1) Think of a good opening line. If you don't, you will lose about half of all potential agents.

2) obsess for weeks over the opening line,

3) don't write anything

4) poverty

Overwined posted:

For me the an opening line that draws people in is the easy part. It's all those words (so many words) afterwards that are my downfall.

Here's my tried and true method:

1.) Get a good one-dimensional idea usually expressed in a good, yet shallow opening line.
2.) Wallow in mediocrity.
3.) Brag about how I'm an author to some non-caring fellow bar patron. Tell them how much work it is. God, so much work. People just don't realize, ya know?

These are both astonishingly similar to my method in that they involve procrastination, stagnation, and unwarranted bragging. I like to go the extra mile and blog about things I know gently caress-all about and lie about the myriad publishers I'm in talks with which gives me the convenient inability to post excerpts or even talk about the general concept.

It works pretty well, I have more tumblr followers than I do words in my manuscript.

Broenheim posted:

heres my sure fire method to writing words

1) turn on computer/tablet/phone or take a piece(s) of paper or even a typewriter
2) open up a word app like google docs or word. if using paper, pick up a pencil or do whatever the gently caress you do with a typewriter
3) write words by hitting the keys. If using a pencil, use your hand to move the pencil to make words, or do typewriter poo poo

and there you go! you figured out the trick to writing!

Will using a fountain pen make me more likely to write the Great (Nationality) Novel?

Sitting Here posted:

step 1.5: ahahaahaha I'm going to watch star trek and play video games! no one can stop me or judge me for this because I've already deduced that I'm terrible and my writing is terrible and life is suffering! writing is just another way to pass the time before death! I never really got into anime....UNTIL NOW! that's right, creative drive, you're stuck inside an anime fan. how does it feel.
Can I get rich writing Garak/Bashir/O'Brien love-triangle erotica?

SERIOUSLY THOUGH:
I Have no idea, I've only ever finished one long-form thing in my life and have failed out of like half my TDs. So my first thing would probably be make time to write.

I've gone back to pen and paper lately because I don't have a laptop and I can take those everywhere. I'm doing heavy outlining on a few things in notebooks and we will see if that helps.

Honestly, If you're looking at awesome productivity methods look into SCRUM and AGILE development in terms of computer programming/software development. There's a lot of methodology that I think slides into creative writing and can help make you feel like you're making progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

change my name posted:

Mapping story beats to your word count seems counter-intuitive. I was obsessing over whether it would be long enough, or too long, but the best advice I've ever received is to just write and not care about the word count. Act structure and sections of the book sure, but not the word count. That's what editing's for, and I ended up at a square 100k words anyways.

I've obsessively mapped this TD entry and I feel way more confident about story structure.

• Locked thread