Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

RedTonic posted:

We need a :justpublish: version of :justpost:.

buy it with your self pub millions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

crabrock posted:

buy it with your self pub millions

that sounded snarkier than i intended, but i'm gonna let it ride

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

give up. that's what i did and it feels great.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i dunno dude, those sound like really encouraging results, and I think now you're just playing a numbers game. Find that dude/lady who wants to go all in on it. If all else fails, shelve it, write another, and then when shopping that one around you can be like "also i have another book." i have no idea if that's attractive to agents, but if i were an agent i would think "hey somebody who wrote a book I like also has another book ALREADY DONE i may also like, what a good client!"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

esp if it's a trait they didn't possess at the beginning of the work, but acquired over the course of the story. something like patience or whatever the gently caress.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

you've gotten good reviews on the actual book, which probably means that it's decent and your blurb just loving sucks.

I'd minimize the mentions of the heroin stuff, and don't over-explain it. everybody knows what a junkie is. Hit your main fantasy plot and just describe him as a junkie or something. "A junkie with magical powers tries to keep his girlfriend from stealing his magic rock." or whatever.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

General Battuta posted:

"A heroin junkie tries to trick her boyfriend into giving up his reality-warping stone so she can escape into her own dreams - but keeping the stone forces her to make choices that drive her even deeper into addiction.'

tbf that's a lot better than what he wrote

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I was watching Primer last night, and in it they repeat that oft-debunked story about "you know how nasa spent 30 mil developing a pen that could write upside down, and russia used a pencil." Anyway it got me thinking. That story gets repeated because it's an interesting story. It doesn't matter that it's not true. A lot of urban legends are like this. They make people feel like "oh man, that's so true, now i understand the world on a new level!" and it sticks with them.

The reason I bring this up is, I was doing a little bit of casual writing, and I thought of something that would be good, but it's not factually true. It fits the theme of the story really well, but it's just plain old wrong. Are there like, reasons not to just say "gently caress it" and pretend it's true anyway? it has to do with biology. This isn't science fiction or anything. Am I breaking some sort of writer code if I talk about things even though I know they're made up lies? can i hide behind "it's a character saying it, so it doesn't matter?"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Maple Leaf posted:

I don't think "rules" matter when it comes to fiction. If you can make me want to read it, mission accomplished.

oh yeah, well what about that i before e thing. bet you didn't think of that did you

edit: wait that's a law, not a rule.

edit2: it's only a theory.

edit3: none of those were actual edits.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

all advice is bad. feedback is better. just write and have people tell you if they like it or it sucks.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

take a look, gently caress a book

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

magnificent7 posted:

What about utopian and some guy hates utopia? That'd be the conflict, right?

I think you're thinking of Brave New World

Utopia fiction is impossible to write because it's impossible for humans to create a utopia. Even if you nailed all the logistics, economics, social institutions, etc., you'd get some sociopath that self-radicalizes and decides that he needs to stab an elementary school full of children in the neck. You can't suspend your disbelief enough. I guess you could write from the POV of the sociopath as you goes on a killing rampage because he needs to finish what anakin started or whatever.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 11, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

in those utopias you'd still have a guy crushing on a girl that didn't love him back, and getting mopey about it.

utopia ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i dunno if a society where you have to bury your own kids becasue cpt. kirk just had to see what was behind that gas cloud is a utopia

• Locked thread