Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Adding a post to this thread because I've read so much of the last one and all of this one.

I'm a short story writer/blogger. This year I've spent most of my words into the potential soggy kleenex that is my first full-length manuscript. I'm ~35k in and having fun, yet constantly convincing myself that everything is terrible and I should go back to cereal reviews.

To break up the monotony I recently entered Lit Reactor's Horror Story comp with a short story I came up with and pumped out in just over a week. Problem was I was in novel mode and ended up writing 5k for a comp that limited you to 4k.

The point of this info dump is, I learned so much about what is superfluous in my writing when I was forced to cut out 20% of my story. If you ever want to find out how much of your story is fluff I highly recommend you make a copy of a chapter and then make it your mission to strip out 20% of the word count without losing the overall narrative or characterisation. You'll probably feel like crying for a lot of it, but for me at least it gave me an unexpected perspective on word economy.

... And I'm writing this up procrastinating going back to my novel after a week of short story-ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ever wonder if your short story or opening chapter has real "hook"?

Here's how to test:
Go to http://omegle.com/
Paste the opening line
Wait a few seconds, paste the next line.
Wait a few more seconds, and paste the rest of the opening paragraph.

If you can elicit an "and then...?" from a decent ratio of mostly randy american teenagers, chances are you have a good opening. Or you at least write good YA Fiction.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's a new topic.

Is short fiction that makes you think/draw your own conclusions dying? It seems like it is, if you accept the opinions of most critiques found in online writing circles. The most common "criticism" I see across all contributions is "this ended abruptly", or "I didn't know the background information".

I don't remember all the published short stories I was assigned to read during my creative writing topics at university, but I do recall a lot of them ended abruptly or with no resolution. Some threw you in the deep end and forced you to read the clues and invent your own back-story.

Is having some mystery and ambiguity out of fashion now? Or is this just an opinion held by haven't-made-it writers with grandeurs of trilogies?

My opinion, in the past I have been guilty of being too ambiguous, but I think there's nothing wrong with a short story ending with unresolved tension if you've said what you want to say.

• Locked thread