Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Bitter, on-the-run cop seeks femme fatale hitwoman for fiery, bullet-riddled romance. Must enjoy long walks through construction sites, high-caliber h
Does anyone know what the ideal novel word counts are for submission to agents and publishers? I know a novel is usually defined as at least 80K words, but not sure how much it damages your chances going under.

I'm currently revising and making some additions to my "novel" but it's about 61,000 words now. I'm worried about bogging it down with stuff it doesn't need so I'm on the fence as to whether this is novel material or a novella. I'm expecting I can get to about 70,000 without seriously bogging it down, but any more than that is pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Bitter, on-the-run cop seeks femme fatale hitwoman for fiery, bullet-riddled romance. Must enjoy long walks through construction sites, high-caliber h
I have a "What genre am I?" question.

I've been calling my novel a western when I describe it to others, but I'm almost ready to start submitting it to agents and publishers and I'm wondering if I shouldn't reconsider historical fiction or YA. About 1/3rd takes place on the frontier, but the last 2/3rds takes place in St. Louis, on a Mississippi riverboat and in Baton Rouge, so by the definitions I found it could be called historical fiction. But it does feature gunfights, safecracking and chases, which seem to fit more in a western. Also, one of the two POV characters is a 16 year old girl, which would seem to qualify it as YA. I hadn't written it with YA in mind considering the violence, though.

I don't want to call it something it's not, but my understanding is there's not a huge market for westerns and I haven't found a whole lot of agents that represent westerns.

Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Panda So Panda posted:

To be safe, I would say historical fiction.

Just because one of the main characters is a teenager does not automatically lump a work into the YA category. For example, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series features a 16-year-old main character named Vin. Granted, I'm only about 70% through the first book, but she seems like a fairly central character thus far.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think historical fiction is the way to go unless an agent specifically mentions looking for westerns.

• Locked thread