Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aMoose
Nov 26, 2005
He who fucks nuns will later join the church.
Where are you getting these numbers from?

I remember one editor's advice (paraphrased): "Don't worry about it. We can always change the typesetting to get 200 pages out of it."

Maybe genre writing has stricter rules. But I think of all an editor's considerations, wordcount is low down the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aMoose
Nov 26, 2005
He who fucks nuns will later join the church.
I've not written anything set in that kind of time period, but it's an interesting issue.

It's probably an insecurity anyone is bound to feel in the position you're in. I think it's possible to use narrative style to displace the focus on authenticity -- and I don't mean writing a 50s pastiche (the opposite, in fact). What I mean is, if the whole piece itself feels artfully constructed, then the referent of the piece (time, place, etc.) takes on less significance.

But that's probably not helpful in most cases -- and really I think anyone who's close to a particular era/place/event will always hold deeply subjective views and memories of it which will never align with a particular text, and hence all historical fiction is probably unsatisfying to someone, so there's little you can do except arm yourself with your research, as you have done.

Do you have anyone who can give you feedback on specifically the period details? The good thing about it being in living memory is that you can actually speak to people who lived it -- but probably the errors will only be found after the first draft.

• Locked thread