Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Why didn't you start out at the point where she gets the superpowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Strunk & White, 'The Elements of Style'
Lynne Truss, 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves'
Everyone needs to brush up on grammar & punctuation. Even if you think you don't, there are valuable lessons in here about how to reword sentences to avoid unclear wording.

I hear The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century by Steven Pinker (the cognitive scientist, yeah) is really good.

quote:

Not on the reading list but highly recommended by a lot of people: Julia Cameron, 'The Artist's Way'
A 12 week self-taught program for how to get into a mindset of producing new stuff creatively and thinking like an artist. Most people won't have the time to engage with it, but I have heard good things from everyone who's stuck with it.

I really want to like this, but it basically starts with OKAY LET'S ASSUME GOD IS REAL AND MAKES YOU WRITE and goes from there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Watch Justified. See how all the suspense scenes are mostly them talking, then like five seconds of action at most. Learn from it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think any platform will make it more likely that anyone actually bothers to read any of it, so you might as well go with whatever you like the look of best.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've got a problem.

As early as a month ago I could write anywhere I had access to a keyboard, but in recent weeks I've found that I can only get myself to write when I'm drunk or over-caffeinated. Since I'm trying to quit drinking and lower my caffeine intake, it's become difficult to articulate my ideas. I have no lack of inspiration, but the ideas are like kidney stones passing through a narrow urethra. On top of that, I don't have nearly as much time as I used to due to hosed up hours at work.

I know this is a common question, but should I go back to drinking too much? I need to make what little time I have for writing work, and the only way to do that is get drunk or loaded on coffee/energy drinks. It's not healthy, but I really don't give a poo poo about my well-being anymore -- the only thing that matters to me is writing. I'm going to fail this week's Thunderdome because I can't get my story right no matter how many times I rewrite it, and after losing my last entry I'm really losing hope.

That's a good reason to keep trying to quit drinking and low your caffeine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/tom-shone/when-novelists-sober

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, it's not that beer and coffee make me more creative, it's that the beer made me stop worrying about things and the caffeine gave me and enthusiasm. Without them I'm just a nervous, tired wreck and I can't get my ideas in order. I have depression as well, but the drugs aren't covered under my insurance plan and they make me a listless zombie, so I just drink until I stop worrying and my back stops hurting. Then I usually feel up to writing, I know what Stephen King said in On Writing, and I agree with him for the most part, but his work after he got clean was substantially poorer than his nosebleed days.

Writing used to be my best outlet for frustration, but it's starting to feel less like a relief and... well, it's like a crippled, retarded baby I truly, truly love, but I'm not equipped to take care of any longer.

(no offense to people with disabilities intended with this post, by the way)

It sounds like you've got more important poo poo to deal with than writing. Work on fixing the other stuff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Don't be a little bitch

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you at a skill level where you're asking writing advice from goons, maybe you shouldn't take on a project of doing a stylistic remake of a piece of medieval literature that you apparently don't even know that well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RedTonic posted:

I had a dream last night that I was gonna forget to sub. I don't wanna fail with a complete entry on my harddrive.

Now it's time to change gears to long form again.

Does anyone have a rec for a style guide? I'm out of love with Strunk & White.

Steven Pinker of all people wrote a style guide. It's pretty good, apparently.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Agreed. I'm just saying, you shouldn't be looking at his writing and going ''Yes, this is what great writing is like. I should emulate this.''

I don't know, I'm super weird about that. I had the same reaction when someone was linking writing advice that Jim Butcher posted on his blog. If you want to learn the basics of good writing, look to the greats first.

And on that note, I liked this post Nick Mamatas made, regarding Butcher. http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1922794.html

Jim Butcher's prose is functional at best. You should try to do better than that.

The advice on his blog, however, is almost entirely concerned with plotting and structure, which are his strengths. It's also pretty much the Cliff's Notes version of Dwight Swain's Techniques of the Selling Writer which is a good book. (His writing teacher was Swain's pupil and ran his writing program, I believe.)

Learning from the greats is great and all, but generally speaking, if you're asking for advice on technique on the internet, you're probably not someone who has the natural instincts to just read something good and take in all the right principles from it.

Mamatas is an obnoxious wanker, by the way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
secret griffin sex cult

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chthonic bell posted:

I find Waugh's views morally repulsive, though. :( I'd rather read books that don't make me feel like I'm pondscum.

Not as repulsive as being a guy called Evelyn, of course.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ravenkult posted:

I wanna hear more about Stephen King's ''weird sex issues.''

I really don't. Is this really the right thread to listen to him blather about this bullshit? Blergh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

If so I'm going to be pissed. I wasted thunderdome time if that's the case.

Having a website (wordpress) was a masterstroke of trolling.

:allears:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is "Just write," but are there any specific drills/practices that help you guys work on making character voices sound distinct and easily distinguishable? I find that my dialogue is all super-generic, or heavily accented/specialized to the point of absurdity.

For your purposes (it's for the detective game, right?) find a writer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I think you mean whenever you're constipated. Unless you're saying you're writing is full of poo poo :smug:

:thejoke:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

blue squares posted:

Thought on not waiting to begin editing after finishing the draft? My novel manuscript is in a drawer waiting for me to take it out on August 1st. But that gives me only a month before school and work begin again. I really want to start working on it now. I already know many things I want to add and improve, and I don't think I am "too close" the work to be able to spot the flaws.

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/122693055511/hello-i-was-wondering-all-the-tips-i-ever-find

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Read Red Knight, don't do that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I for the longest time have wanted to develop a word processor that has plugins for youtube/spotify/itunes/streaming services. Having the music there is a necessity for a lot of people, having the web browser open is a focus-crusher distraction.

If any of you goons are programmers let me know, let's work on this together.

You can just install a second, different browser and install a blocker that only allows Spotify and Google Docs 24/7.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another A+ Kloctopost.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I prefer "quaffed" or "chortle-sneezed".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

change my name posted:

Help does anyone have any advice about taking the paring knife to your book

I feel like 100k words is too long to query for a first time author

http://smile.amazon.com/Self-Editing-Fiction-Writers-Second-Yourself/dp/0060545690

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I have a strange request. I suffer from dysgraphia, a writing disorder. However, I very much wish to write some of the, admittedly lovely, sci-fi stories I have been compiling in my head for a decade. Does anyone know how I would get in touch with a collaborative partner to work on something like this?

How are you posting this?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

change my name posted:

What's the consensus on submitting to an agent vs. publishing house slush pile? I've heard that the second is slightly easier to get published through, but that you really want an agent to push for you + make sure you're getting more money.

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2005/02/07/how-much-does-a-science-fiction-or-fantasy-writer-make/

quote:

Broken down by Agented vs. Unagented:

60% of our first time novelists had an agent, the other 40% sold the book without an agent, and a high number indicate they got agents right after or during the sale of the book.

The range in agented advances is from $1500 to $40,000

The average agented advance is $7379

The median agented advance is $5500

The range in unagented advances is from $0 to 13,500

The average unagented advance is $4611

The median unagented advance is $4000

These figures have noticeable differences across the board. Not having an agent looks to cost one well more than the agent’s percentage on average, and certainly most of the higher ranging figures come from people with agents.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Hey, dead zone of writing advice.

This morning I had an idea for a story that takes place in Cuba. Having never been there, and no real knowledge of the place except from Godfather Part II, where would you suggest I start (edit: start learning enough about Cuba to make the locale believable)?

The story will be sci-fi/horror, it'll be in present day Cuba, (specifically, this current purgatory state between playing nice with US and not nice).

I've already got Juan Of The Dead and Una Noche on my must-watch list to get a sense of how different the streets, the people and the culture are from me, (Southern USA).

I'm not expecting to pinch out a book that will be hailed as a brilliant observation of Cuban culture, but I'd like to at least try to white-wash my total ignorance of the place.

FAQ:
Q. Does it have to be Cuba? Why not pick some other place you have been or at least know more about rear end in a top hat.
A: Yes because the story involves an infection that doesn't spread from Murica to Cuba due to the current embargo (is that the right word?). Sure. Pretend it's zombies if you'd like.

Q:. How do you not know anything about Cuba you ignorant rear end in a top hat?
A: It isn't easy. I also do not know anything about Napoleon's empire, The Mexican/American War, or almost anything History or Social Studies related. These were my "nap research studies" classes that confirmed my decision to skip formal education and go directly into the exciting world of data entry.

You know, me being a Russian, I'm a part of a culture that Americans love to write about without really bothering learning anything it about beyond reading a book or two. You know what? It's annoying as gently caress.

You (as in, generic you) can't fake this poo poo. You can only really convincingly pull off the level of immersion into a culture that you yourself are at.

You've read a few books about a culture? Congratulations, you can now insert a few scenes where your character, an American, goes to wherever you chose and, like, gets drunk in a bar and has a car chase. You could maybe even write a minor character who's an immigrant in your US-based novel and not embarrass yourself.

Have you spent a few years actually immersing yourself in a culture? That's fantastic! You could now probably pull off a novel about being a foreigner in said culture, as long as you didn't try to be too profound about it or, like, write your exploration of their national character. You could probably even write about locals, as long as those locals spend most of the novel fighting off reptiloid ninjas.

You want to write a novel about Cubans in Cuba being Cuban? You kinda need to have had more input than just a few books.

I mean, I suppose there are people who amazing enough that they could pull this off. But are you this amazing? I mean, you are asking goons how to do it on the Internet.

(As a sidenote, you do realize that the embargo is a lot more porous than you seem to think? Tens of thousands Americans travel to Cuba and back each year. Not to mention a couple million of Canadians and Mexicans, some of whom travel to US immediately thereafter.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Djeser posted:

I'm trying to aim for a terse, dehumanizing tone for something I'm writing, but I'm kind of at a loss for examples. Anyone familiar with something written like that?

James Ellroy?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TBH I'd just recommend that you write a new one while you send the first one out. Most writers first sell, like, the third or fifth or even tenth novel they write.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bigperm posted:

I personally would need several compelling reasons to root for a selfish heroin addict and your blurb has zero.

Yeah. Generally speaking, there are character flaws and there are character flaws. If your character's a heroin junkie or (yes, these are on a different level entirely) sexually attracted to children or sexually assaults people, that poo poo kinda overrides whatever positive qualities you might choose to give them. I've tried reading a novel recently with a first person POV of someone who wasn't even using anymore and it felt like This, the Novel:

Incredibly annoying to read. Yours is an active user and an rear end in a top hat? Instant pass.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So it's junkie fiction, urban fantasy and post-apocalyptic? Will there be spaceships as well?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Naerasa posted:

You do know you can use a nuclear bomb without it being the apocalypse, right? America's already done it twice before.

So just urban fantasy and near future scifi, gotcha.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Mmm yes, the idea of there being drug use in the aftermath of a nuclear war is completely ridiculous.

Aftermath of a nuclear war... and also magic wish-granting stones! Mixing What Ifs like that is not a great idea. If you've got an alien invasion AND sexy vampires or you're ripping off the Martian and then the magical ponies waltz in and they're not a hallucination, you're either going full bizarro and good luck to you my friend or you've hosed up somewhere.

The junkie protagonist is just a turd cherry on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I apologize. I get a little carried away when people start arguing.

But, uh, I do suggest developing more ideas.

• Locked thread