Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I recently started thinking about making my own game and my first stop was to see if we had a thread like this. So thanks OP on making it, it's been an interesting read so far.

I think RPGs need to advance beyond simple PDFs and poo poo. Obviously the hard copies are awesome for certain situations, but as a guy who reads plenty of PDFs of games, they are a pain and usually could be a world better.

For starters, think of all the awesome poo poo you could package with a PDF that shouldn't really be too much of a pain. Hyperlinked sections for a start sure, but you could throw a simple character generator in there, some kind of random encounter tool right in the PDF. Or as part of a pack if you don't have the tools to do that in the PDF.

Games these days are sped up by a world of tools we have now that we didn't have back in AD&D times, and slowly we're seeing companies take advantage of that (the Insider and DnD Character Creator, for example). I'm just saying why not include that poo poo right there in the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

bahamut posted:

Everything I've always done has been broken down into four basic sections, with various sub-sections as necessary:

Absolutely stealing this idea.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Question; What do you think is the very best example of a good game package out now?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

What do you mean by "package"? Like the best "core" game out there now?

Not really, I meant more with the discussion on the presentation. The best book/PDF/whatever. What game right now is best presented, in your opinion.

• Locked thread