Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

Judging by how many people were at the midnight showings of this film you've most likely seen this film by now, and are probably still asleep even as I write this review. Some of you, maybe a distinct minority of more sensible persons with social lives, may be putting off seeing this for a day or two... Well this reviews for you.

Rises does not disappoint.

The film returns returns the ideas of the first movie, stressing the concept of the man behind the mask. Where has Bruce Wayne's life gone now that his alter-ego (Wayne is Batman) is a wanted man. How well can a man function after he's devoted several years of his life to getting shot, stabbed, beaten, blown up, falling from great heights, etc. Can he ever fully remove himself from the Batman and simply move on?

In fact I'll be blunt, we see a LOT more of Wayne than we do Batman. There's probably less than twenty-minutes of Batman in this film. But don't let that get you down, as out of costume or in Wayne is a force.

Now of course who would even give a gently caress about Batman if he had nothing to oppose. Many might of thought that Bane would be a villain who simply couldn't come close to Heath Ledger's Joker. After all, Ledger's untimely death has basically cemented his character into history as basically THE JOKER. Well have no fear at all. You may not see a by the comic-books Bane, but you will be seeing everything done right.

Bane is a cunning, inhumanly cruel creature who is constantly so many steps ahead that he actually finished playing chess with you about four hours ago and you just weren't aware of the game being over quite yet. This is not in the least Joel Schumacher's Bane, who you might not even want to recall. This is also not a comic book Bane. Yes, he shares his comic book alter's master mind, but there's no Bane venom. Instead we simply have an absolutely unstoppable man whose body is at the peak of perfection. When he throws people around you believe it. And when he and Batman collide you just know one of them is royally hosed.

Then of course we have Catwoman... The film never actually calls her that though. I was really afraid of how this film would approach Catwoman, and while I can't say that she was anywhere near dead-on, I'll at least say that she was a really goddamn good attempt. There's no explanation for this woman. Sometimes that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with people of mystery. But you could also say that I'm wrong and there's lots of explanation for her and you just have to piece it together.

Either way Hathaway plays a likable anti-hero whose far more true to the character than Pfeiffer was. Catwoman is a thief. She's a backstabber. She does what's best for Catwoman. Most importantly she's not Halle Berry... *shudder*

There's honestly a lot to talk about here, but maybe I should just get to the basics. This is a film that will have you second-guessing everything. There's so many twists and turns in the plot that you'll be doing your obsessed little fanboy squeals every five minutes or so. From the beginning everyone involved with this film has been declaring it the last of the Batman triology. I am absolutely declaring it a success. The comics have never been able to bring Batman to a successful, believable close, but this film has. It all might be a bit cheesy, but sometimes cheesy is good.

I'd also like to state in advance that although I believe this will definitely be the last film in the trilogy that I highly doubt it'll be the last in this series. Watch it and agree. And honestly I hope I'm right.

All in all...

Pros: Plot driven, great new characters, a successful conclusion, a successful setup for another film.

Cons: Dragged a LOT in the second act... A LOT. Maybe too depressing.

4.9999999999999999999999 out of 5 Almost perfect, but goddamn it all just feels so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU