Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Countersteering and brake

All of these are important to consider while riding a bicycle. They turn the same, and you can lock up the rear and highside the same. ATGATT is a little tricky, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Jabs posted:

I'm pretty sure that the comment was made by the lead instructor at the end of her second go-round. I know she said she had a lot of trouble with finding the friction zone on the 125¹. She also said that when she lost the bike, it was to the outside of the turn when turning around.

It's good to know that I'm on the right path. I've been mulling getting a pair of $130 "throwaway" pedal bikes from Walmart to tool around the neighborhood on for a couple months.

Please please please oh lord please do not buy a bike from Walmart. By doing so you are just continuing the cycle of waste by buying a bike made out of poo poo components that will break in a month, whereafter you'll let it rot in the garage until your girlfriend makes you throw it out. There are SO many 70s bike boom cycles that you can get from garage sales or Craigslist for next to nothing, slap new tires and a chain on, and ride without killing mother earth. Or if you need brand new bikes, spend the money on real machines from real bicycle shops who sell products that won't rust and fall apart in a month and who will provide support. In the worst case your girlfriend and you now have a healthy hobby to bond over.

Fake edit, have you considered hiring an instructor with a small bike for private lessons? Your girl may may just be the type that needs to be alone in a parking lot to slowly get the feel for the bike. And I hate to support them but maybe you could call a HD dealership and see if they can arrange a special Riders Edge session? Dunno what the smallest bike they'd have is, though.

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 2, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Riding a pedalbike gets you accustomed to the riding position and over the panic of 25 MPH wind in your face with nothing in front of you. Riding at reasonable speed will help recalibrate yourself to the sensation of the centripetal forces involved in turning. I'm not suggesting it'll make you a great MC rider but at the least it should reduce the learning workload of the MSF class. It's also fun on its own merits.

Also I won't go all greeny froo-froo like Fixie Guy but there are plenty of good reasons to get a decent used yardsale / Craigslist bike over Wally World trash if the opportunity is available. I wouldn't buy new from a cycle shop unless you're sure y'all will pick up the hobby, the cost of entry is rather high, but it's worth having them tune up your tag sale special.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 2, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

go all greeny froo-froo like Fixie Guy

It's "frou frou." i know that because frou frou is my favorite electronic collaboration :smug:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Just buy a 250/125 and learn on that. It's not like you need a license to teach or ride over there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

It's "frou frou." i know that because frou frou is my favorite electronic collaboration :smug:

Now I know what I'm going to listen to today at work! Thanks!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

All of these are important to consider while riding a bicycle. They turn the same, and you can lock up the rear and highside the same. ATGATT is a little tricky, however.
I'm aware that the mechanical principles are the same on a bicycle, but I don't remember ever pedaling a bike and being able to notice the effect of countersteering that you feel in motorcycles. Not to mention the big effect that throttle and brake have on the steering of the bike.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Now I know what I'm going to listen to today at work! Thanks!
Frou Frou loving rocks. I hope they make another album, but I can deal with just listening to Imogen Heap instead.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm aware that the mechanical principles are the same on a bicycle, but I don't remember ever pedaling a bike and being able to notice the effect of countersteering that you feel in motorcycles. Not to mention the big effect that throttle and brake have on the steering of the bike.

You should ride pedal bikes more. Heck, I should ride pedal bikes more.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

It's mostly for folks to find balance and getting used to being on two wheels. There's been a few folks in class that have forgotten the whole "it's two wheels and you need to put your feet down" thing.

Heck for a "training" bike a little 80 - 100cc dirt bike might work out as well. Without watching or knowing what she was doing during the falls it's going to be impossible to give really good advice.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I say buy a lovely little <250 bike for her to drop as much as she wants, but I think that perhaps some people aren't meant for motorcycles.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You won't get that feeling if you're just noodling around in a parking lot on a bicycle. Just like on a motorcycle, those effects don't really come into play until you're above 12-15mph, and they aren't as pronounced on a bicycle until even higher speeds. You definitely get a very similar feeling with regards to countersteering and braking affecting handling once you're doing above 20-25mph on a bicycle. Riding a good road bike on some winding downhill roads at 35mph is way more scary/thrilling than riding the same roads on a motorcycle at 55mph. And it's a loving blast on a motorcycle, so extrapolate from there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Guinness posted:

You won't get that feeling if you're just noodling around in a parking lot on a bicycle. Just like on a motorcycle, those effects don't really come into play until you're above 12-15mph, and they aren't as pronounced on a bicycle until even higher speeds. You definitely get a very similar feeling with regards to countersteering and braking affecting handling once you're doing above 20-25mph on a bicycle. Riding a good road bike on some winding downhill roads at 35mph is way more scary/thrilling than riding the same roads on a motorcycle at 55mph. And it's a loving blast on a motorcycle, so extrapolate from there.
You'll never get the throttle/brake effect on steering, though, and I think this is one that catches a lot of newbies off guard and causes them to drop bikes or blow turns. Not to mention clutch control.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I say buy a lovely little <250 bike for her to drop as much as she wants,
Which is why I think this is a more useful idea.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

You'll never get the throttle/brake effect on steering, though, and I think this is one that catches a lot of newbies off guard and causes them to drop bikes or blow turns. Not to mention clutch control.

And looking down to make sure your hands are doing the right thing and you're headed in the right direction. Keep your eyes on the horizon for the straight-line portion, and look where you want to go when maneuvering (but never watching the pavement under the bike).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Finally passed my 普通二輪 (中型) [Normal two-wheeled, mid-size] practical yesterday! :toot:

Most of the difficulty was the language barrier and paucity of English-language info about the test, although they're also extremely picky about lots of tiny procedural stuff. Technique I finally settled on for passing: booting it in the straights (despite my instructor telling me there was no such thing as too slow, was gigged twice for not going fast enough), braking hard before turns (have to take them within 50cm of the corner/centerline), and over-exaggerating all my head checks to the point of absurdity. Right when I was about to do the "enter oncoming lane to avoid parked car" obstacle I had a car coming the other way, so I pulled over, waited for it to pass, then redid head-checks and completed the maneuver. You've got to share the test course with people doing their test for cars, semi-trucks, and bulldozers, which can be a little tricky at times.

Still got to sit through a 3-4 hour safety lecture before I can get my license. All told, probably will have spent $1200-1500 on getting my bike license here, which is still like half what most Japanese people who go to riding schools pay. I had a fair bit of experience on 125cc bikes (and not enough Japanese to get a ton out of riding school, even if I'd wanted to pay that much), so just did a few a la carte lessons at a school until I couldn't improve any more, then took the practical a bunch of times until I could figure out what they were looking for.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Finally passed my 普通二輪 (中型) [Normal two-wheeled, mid-size] practical yesterday! :toot:

Most of the difficulty was the language barrier and paucity of English-language info about the test, although they're also extremely picky about lots of tiny procedural stuff. Technique I finally settled on for passing: booting it in the straights (despite my instructor telling me there was no such thing as too slow, was gigged twice for not going fast enough), braking hard before turns (have to take them within 50cm of the corner/centerline), and over-exaggerating all my head checks to the point of absurdity. Right when I was about to do the "enter oncoming lane to avoid parked car" obstacle I had a car coming the other way, so I pulled over, waited for it to pass, then redid head-checks and completed the maneuver. You've got to share the test course with people doing their test for cars, semi-trucks, and bulldozers, which can be a little tricky at times.

Still got to sit through a 3-4 hour safety lecture before I can get my license. All told, probably will have spent $1200-1500 on getting my bike license here, which is still like half what most Japanese people who go to riding schools pay. I had a fair bit of experience on 125cc bikes (and not enough Japanese to get a ton out of riding school, even if I'd wanted to pay that much), so just did a few a la carte lessons at a school until I couldn't improve any more, then took the practical a bunch of times until I could figure out what they were looking for.

Two things:
Congrats on passing the practical bit of the course. I amazes me sometimes how much we have to bend over backwards here in the US. If you show up at an MSF course and need an interpreter we have a hotline we call so they can send one out right away, and our program has to pay for it. Know just enough to be able to decipher numbers but can't read? That doesn't stop you from getting a motorcycle license, I have to read the test to you.

Second thing, you're in Japan. Do you see any of the Motegi MotoGP advert posters hanging around? If so I'd like 4 of them please. I'll pay a reasonable amount and the shipping costs if you want, or we can trade I'll ship you some posters from the Indianapolis GP. my email is my username @gmail.com

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Skreemer posted:

Two things:
Congrats on passing the practical bit of the course. I amazes me sometimes how much we have to bend over backwards here in the US. If you show up at an MSF course and need an interpreter we have a hotline we call so they can send one out right away, and our program has to pay for it. Know just enough to be able to decipher numbers but can't read? That doesn't stop you from getting a motorcycle license, I have to read the test to you.

Second thing, you're in Japan. Do you see any of the Motegi MotoGP advert posters hanging around? If so I'd like 4 of them please. I'll pay a reasonable amount and the shipping costs if you want, or we can trade I'll ship you some posters from the Indianapolis GP. my email is my username @gmail.com

Luckily for me there was at least an English-language version of the 100 question written test I had to take beforehand. But not being able to understand all the feedback I was getting from the instructor or examiner made it a lot more difficult than it should have been. I passed on my 8th try, but 5-6 of those were basically just me figuring out through trial-and-error what they wanted.

The safety class is going to be all Japanese, but apparently

I haven't seen any Motegi MotoGP adverts, but I'm in a small city in what's basically the Kentucky of Japan. I'll make a note of that and let you know if I see any that I can get my hands on though. I was able to find a couple from a few years ago on Yahoo Auctions (kinda the eBay of Japan).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone else on here instruct and noticed the drop off? Every year when August rolls around it's the same thing, we hardly get any students. But drat do they clamor for classes April, May and June. March is pretty much a crap shoot weather wise this far north.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Skreemer posted:

Anyone else on here instruct and noticed the drop off? Every year when August rolls around it's the same thing, we hardly get any students. But drat do they clamor for classes April, May and June. March is pretty much a crap shoot weather wise this far north.
Seems pretty logical to me. The boneheads who have always wanted to be on a Harley finally got a little raise in the new year and can afford their death machine, hence lots of students in the spring. Honesty I'm not sure who's crazier: students taking the class in mid July or those taking the final November classes.

Although I must say that those taking the class in the Fall seem to be more dedicated beginners and not fairweather wannabees. Maybe if you are a bad enough dude you will even have your BRC level 1 range in the snow like I did :smug:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
My girlfriend is in the BRC class here at the university this week and she told me last night they only have 6 people. The last time I took the BRC (around the same time) we had 18 people, I think. Though her class runs 5-9 for 5 days and I did the Sat/Sun/Sat/Sun class, so that probably made a big difference.

It really surprised me until I thought about it some more, then it made sense.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just signed up for a BRC through Harley Davidson this weekend. The class is only $189 until the end of the month, gets you your motorcycle endorsement here in FL and also a free bike rental after successful completion of the course. I'm pretty excited to finally learn how to ride, even if I don't end up buying a bike anytime soon.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Some friends of mine took the MSF this summer. They had a pretty hard nosed instructor that opened up the class with 'friends should not take the class together because they'll not be worrying only about themselves', and 'most people have to take this class twice so put the idea of passing right out of your head'. While both are reasonable points the delivery was pretty rough, they both got a whole lot less excited to be there.

Over the course of the class they both do well, but this guys comments and general poo poo attitude continued. From what I could tell there wasn't anything wrong with his instructions, he was just a bit of a prick. I was lending my bike between sessions to shake off any nerves and get additional practice on anything they had problems with. So I had a daily overview and it sounded to me like they were doing fine with everything technical. I didn't see them doing anything really wrong outside of usual newbie mistakes when they were practicing with me.

They both end up passing the skills and written, but one of them was failed by the instructor because 'she looked especially nervous and uncomfortable'. Which I think can be explained by some people just getting worked up over exams, and nervous over trying new things... especially with something they can get hurt doing.

My wife and I have both taken the course, and I've had several friends take it... I've never heard of that before. Some passed and some failed but it was always due to score/dumping a bike/etc, never an instructor override. I read here about instructors going out of their way to do extra work with students and that's more like what I personally experienced. I don't know what this guy's problem is, maybe he's had some people he passed end up getting hurt or killed and now feels the need to be extra tough, but it seems more likely he was just a dick.

Is there any sort of appeal or complaint that can be made?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Yeah those test scores are kept by the school and possibly sent in to the DOT if they run the MSF in your state. Call the school complain, call the DOT and complain loudly and have them pull the test scores. Call the main MSF offices in Cali and complain loudly.

Our job out there isn't to be an rear end it's to convey information and skills and to see if you are grasping concepts the and able to do those skills.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

rockcity posted:

Just signed up for a BRC through Harley Davidson this weekend. The class is only $189 until the end of the month, gets you your motorcycle endorsement here in FL and also a free bike rental after successful completion of the course. I'm pretty excited to finally learn how to ride, even if I don't end up buying a bike anytime soon.

The Harley version (Rider's Edge) is the same MSF as everyone else gets with an added bonus, they try really hard to sell you a Harley Motorcycle and anything and everything they can that's Harley branded. Tour through the shop, talks from all the sales folks... It really is a fun experience other than just taking the class.

Oh and you get the added bonus of being introduced to your first Harley to ride, a buell blast. 500ccs of heavy vibey clunky motorcycle. (they are fun to hoon on a bit though)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Skreemer posted:

The Harley version (Rider's Edge) is the same MSF as everyone else gets with an added bonus, they try really hard to sell you a Harley Motorcycle and anything and everything they can that's Harley branded. Tour through the shop, talks from all the sales folks... It really is a fun experience other than just taking the class.

Oh and you get the added bonus of being introduced to your first Harley to ride, a buell blast. 500ccs of heavy vibey clunky motorcycle. (they are fun to hoon on a bit though)

Yeah, I figured they would, especially with the free rental. I'm not in a position to buy a Harley right now so I'm just taking this for the reasonably priced class really. A free rental is nice though, even if they have to try to sell me on buying one when I do it. I did know that the class was on the Buell Blast which I was a little bummed about, but I've never ridden a motorcycle at all, so in my head I'll probably just chalk it up to that and if I do get my own I'll be happy when it isn't shaking all over the place.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Skreemer posted:

Yeah those test scores are kept by the school and possibly sent in to the DOT if they run the MSF in your state. Call the school complain, call the DOT and complain loudly and have them pull the test scores. Call the main MSF offices in Cali and complain loudly.

Our job out there isn't to be an rear end it's to convey information and skills and to see if you are grasping concepts the and able to do those skills.

Thanks - this is Illinois so it's state run and sponsored. It's kind of crap to complain over a free course but the 2 weekends they spent doing this were time that could have been spent casually training with me and my wife if there wasn't the goal of a license in mind. Do instructors even have the ability to override the test scores? I know they can toss people from the class, but by the time the tests are done it seems a bit late to do that.

As a side note she's already scheduled to do the course again, but it would be nice to get a bike and enjoy it in the meantime, by the time she takes the class and waits the 2 weeks for the license there won't be much of the riding season left.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Finished my MSF course yesterday. I did the 2 day schedule. Classroom from 8-12 and ride from 1-5p. Provider was: http://www.saferide4u.com/ If you are in San Diego I recommend them. The instructors were very good.

The written exam was 50 questions. I missed 5. I didn't really spend much time on the test and only one question was info I actually missed versus me just hurrying through it. I'll be much more careful when I take the written at the DMV.

Background:

I am huge noob. I had never been on a motorcyle prior to the class. I ride bicycles (hurr!) and was on a scooter about 20 years ago. I am in my early 40's.

Highs and lows:

The course provided Kawasaki Eliminators. I think they might have been 125's?

I had to wear a XL helmet because I have a large space alien triangular shaped melon. I did find a comfortable Shoei in their inventory. That was a concern, that my mutated head would require custom fit. I was relieved to find out that shouldn't be a problem when I buy my own helmet. These are the first world problems of the noob rider.

So now we're suited up and on the course. I was nervous as gently caress. I've always viewed motorcycyles as highly dangerous. Once I got on the bike I kind of mellowed out, but I did have a moment of panic as we mounted for the first time. This is unusual as I am typically not a nervous person.

Within 20 seconds on the bike one of the students popped her clutch and jerked forward out of control. I thought she was gonna dump it, then she was sorta half on and half off and I thought she was going to ride into the chain link fence. The instructor was yelling at her to hold the clutch. She saved it The bike righted itself, then we continued. Somehow that little bit of drama made me more relaxed.

The students ranged from 19 to early 60's. I think a couple of the guys had more experience than the trainers. For whatever reason, they were taking the class a second time. One guy was covered in tattoos and was kinda rough looking, but he turned out to be very cool and laid back and owned three businesses. He said the class was a condition of getting his license back. He was busted blowing 12 stop lights and had never bothered to get a motorcycle license in 10 years. Naturally I asked about it and he said he was racing a buddy in an empty area of Phoenix AZ. They never saw a cop. They stopped at a gas station and this cop rolls up real slow. He said it was like Jaws. They eyeballed the cop but figured he wasn't after them. The cop gets out of his car and arrests them. He told the story really well. We all got a huge laugh. He seemed to laugh just as hard.

The mix of folks was pretty interesting. TBH, I am concerned for the safety of a few of the students. I think they take bikes a bit too lightly. A mid 20's girl who couldn't weigh more than 120lbs said she was buying a CBR600. Another guy, who wanted everyone in the class to call him dragon (I poo poo you not) was going right out to buy a Ducati. He had never ridden before. The guy next to me already owned a SV650 (I think that's the right name). When we went around the room to state our dream bike I just said I hadn't decided but I'm probably starting out on a Honda CBR250 or Rebel. Advice appreciated. =)

Now, for the test part....There were four evaluations but three exercises.

Exercise 1:
We had to do a figure 8 inside of a box that was 20'x12' (IIRC). I completely and utterly sucked at doing the figure 8. Probably one of the worst in the class. During the test I came out of the lines three times. EPIC FAIL. Part two of Exercise 1 was coming out of the figure 8 and doing a swerve which was setup like a rapid lane change to avoid cones representing a barrier. Nailed that part (so easy!)

Exercise 2:
Quick stop. Ride into second then once the bike passes a set of cones stop as quickly as possible while in control. Nailed it but, didn't get my bike back into 1st during the stop. I think I lost points for that as well. They drilled into our heads to always go back to 1st when stopping. I did try, but was nervous and didn't hit the shift lever enough. But I stopped LIKE A BOSS.

Exercise 3:
Do a 90 degree turn, shift into second and ride that through a 135 degree turn. We had to stay inside lane markings on the ground. Supposedly it was also timed but I had a hard time seeing how they were tracking time. It was all about outside, inside, outside. If you crossed a line you failed. I nailed this one.

The rider who almost dropped her bike in the first couple of minutes was the only person to fail the class. She did OK the rest of the way but she was always kinda shaky. She told me they failed her because she went over the line in the last exercise. I know for a fact she did the figure 8's better than me. I think the instructors wanted her to take the class again to improve her skills. I'd say I agree with their decision although I don't have any right to judge anyone on a bike. As I left the second day she stayed behind to try the test a second time.

I was not sure if I passed the riding test when it was over. I knew I blew the figure 8's part and that I didn't get back into first during the stop. I was nervous. The instructors setup a few chairs away from the group and started calling us over one by one. Finally they call my name and....

I passed the test. :)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

The double u-turn area is not a life saving skill, it's a few points but more about bike control than anything else(you can only lose 8 points total in the u-turn area). The swerve is timed and if you're not going fast enough they'll make you do it again.

Quick Stop, timed... go through the marked area in 0.xx seconds you better be able to stop in yy feet. This is the one area that can royally screw you, we had one woman that for whatever reason not do an emergency stop, always coasted to a stop. 1 point assessed per foot past the standard. 5 points for not going into first.

The 90 degree turn isn't scored, it's to give you time and space to get up into second gear and up to speed. The 135 degree area is timed, it's a ridiculous 1.90 seconds to get through the turn though, starts at the single cone and runs until the end of the hash lines. They are mainly making sure you use both brakes, stay within the lines and maintain or ,even better, increase throttle all the way through the corner.

What did you think of the flow of the course and the skill building?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I thought the pace was great with one exception. On day two we jumped right into doing the U turn skill with no warm up. That kind of sucked as low speed maneuvers right out of the gate were really hard for most of the class. Definitely not a confidence builder.

I asked the coach about getting a warm up and doing U turns again and he said U turns are the warm up. Seems like a smart rear end answer but he was a cool guy and you could tell he was not being a dick but it was more like tough love. I didn't take any offense to it and I don't think any other student was upset either.

Still, I think they should have a warmup of a few laps on day 2 before U turns.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Grats, Pompous Rhombus and JollyRancher!

JollyRancher, what's your height/weight? I'm 6'1" with 34 inseams the Rebel felt pretty tiny. It wasn't that uncomfortable but I could feel a bit of pressure on my lower back sitting that low with my knees that high. Are you gonna be doing freeways? One morning I saw this guy who's around 6'3", maybe around 260, riding on the freeway in front of me on a Rebel and he seriously didn't look all that happy scooting along at 55mph.

The Ninja 250's pretty comfortable on me and has enough pick up and go; some taller guys that I saw in other forums said they felt the cbr250 was more comfortable but that's really up to the individual. Main argument I have (and most everybody here too) is that you should probably look into getting a used bike first, and used cbr250s are gonna be harder to find than used ninjas. Unless you're dead set on getting a new bike then go nuts.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What's the rationale behind having to shift down to first while stopping? In my lessons/on my test we never had anything like that, was standard to procedure to switch feet once you were at a stop and shift down to first then.

For the e-stop the instructor said to avoid even clutching in until the last minute, to take advantage of engine braking.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It kinda helps being in 1st when you're stopped in case you need to move in a big hurry (somebody not paying attention and is about to rear end you, etc)

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Angryboot posted:

Grats, Pompous Rhombus and JollyRancher!

JollyRancher, what's your height/weight? I'm 6'1" with 34 inseams the Rebel felt pretty tiny. ...words....

I am ~5'8" and about 150lbs soaking wet. My goal weight is 160. I don't plan to do freeways on the beginner bike. I put less than 10k miles/year on my car. I can walk to work etc, so my daily mileage quota is well below normal.

So...a bike is is purely an indulgence. I won't ever have to rely on the bike as a daily commuter etc. That said, I am looking for the best bike to learn on. The Rebel looks comfortable to me (upright position etc) but the CBR looks sexy and has ABS. Some say ABS is a cop out and teaches bad habits but I am only concerned with safe riding. If it costs me a bit more to be on a safe bike and it keeps me off the concrete I am OK with that.

I will go into a few dealerships this weekend just to sit on a few bikes. No intention to buy anytime soon and I have a very experienced biker friend who deals bikes who is going to help me when it's time to purchase.

It's up to me to decide what fits me best.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's the rationale behind having to shift down to first while stopping? In my lessons/on my test we never had anything like that, was standard to procedure to switch feet once you were at a stop and shift down to first then.

The instructors were adamant about shifting down into 1st when coming to a stop so you can accelerate out of problems. Intersections and cornering were highlighted as the two most dangerous places for motorcyclists. If you're not in 1st as soon as you roll to a stop you can't escape the Soccer Mom who will roll over you in her SUV at a stop light.

But...if you're at a stop light and need to escape is rolling into the intersection of cross traffic a better idea? I wasn't there to argue, so they say shift to 1st I try to shift to 1st. :)

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Being able to pop a U turn in about 14 feet is pretty important in my opinion. It's my favorite thing to practice. Try doing one from a complete stop with counterweighting and all -- tons of fun!!

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

JollyRancher posted:

But...if you're at a stop light and need to escape is rolling into the intersection of cross traffic a better idea? I wasn't there to argue, so they say shift to 1st I try to shift to 1st. :)

Well the second part is you should find an escape route. Usually you will have room to pull up into a crosswalk or split lanes and ride between traffic if you think someone behind you won't stop in time.

Keep in mind that the percentage of accidents occurring from behind is something like 3% so it sucks when it happens, and you can get royally hosed up, but you should really worry much more about your own skills and the things that cause single-person motorcycle accidents (target fixation, going too fast, poor cornering skills, etc) and left-turners.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just finished day one of two and had a lot of fun. I did pretty well at most of the skills, but the one thing I'm still having the occasional problem with is stalling out when getting moving from a stop. I think I'm just coming off the clutch a bit too fast. At first it was because I wasn't giving enough throttle when letting off the clutch, but now I think I'm just coming off a bit quick. Aside from that I think my skills lessons went pretty well. In general I think I just need to get used to the clutch and gear shifting. I haven't driven a manual car in probably a decade so I'm still getting the touch for it. I wish I had some time to just practice stop and go and shifting for a while so I could make sure I don't stall out any more.

And to everyone saying the Buell Blast is vibraty, you weren't kidding. Doubly so in lower speeds in 2nd gear.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rockcity posted:

I did pretty well at most of the skills, but the one thing I'm still having the occasional problem with is stalling out when getting moving from a stop. I think I'm just coming off the clutch a bit too fast. At first it was because I wasn't giving enough throttle when letting off the clutch, but now I think I'm just coming off a bit quick. Aside from that I think my skills lessons went pretty well. In general I think I just need to get used to the clutch and gear shifting. I haven't driven a manual car in probably a decade so I'm still getting the touch for it.

I'm currently in the middle of my first day and having a similar problem with stalling out from a start, and I've been driving manual cars for close to 20 years, so it's definitely not just you. I'm starting to give it more throttle before I even start releasing the clutch at all and that seems to be helping with the stalling, but I still kill it every once in a while

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm currently in the middle of my first day and having a similar problem with stalling out from a start, and I've been driving manual cars for close to 20 years, so it's definitely not just you. I'm starting to give it more throttle before I even start releasing the clutch at all and that seems to be helping with the stalling, but I still kill it every once in a while

Yeah, that's generally what I've been doing and 80% of the time it's just fine. It's typically right after I do something really well and the instructor compliments me and gives me the signal to move along. I think when I get a compliment suddenly my brain relaxes too much and I don't consciously think to really ease into the clutch. I wouldn't feel as nervous, but I think it's because pretty much everyone in the class has riding experience and two people in the class are track racers who moved and just need to pass the MSF to get their endorsement. Three other people are in a similar situation and the other three aside from me all rode dirt bikes, so I'm the only one in the class with no real manual bike experience.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I think its the just the Blast. I had the same problem during my MSF. The clutch on my Ninja 250 feels a lot better than the Blast's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Abe Froman posted:

I think its the just the Blast. I had the same problem during my MSF. The clutch on my Ninja 250 feels a lot better than the Blast's.

The guys teaching commented that the clutch on the Buell's is sort of jumpy for a smaller bike so I'm sure that's part of it. They said they've taught on Rebel 250s in the past and liked those better, aside from the obvious size issues for taller riders. They said you could get into third gear on those in the range too. You'd be stalling hands down in third in the Blast, it comes close at times in second if you try to take a corner on the slow side.

• Locked thread